Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Boston Ladder 17
Here is new Boston Ladder 17. Its going to FDIC. It had ladder 29 markings on it but after the bombing they made the switch (apparently the bombing was in Ladder 17's first due area?)

Attached Files Image(s)

Here it is with the ladder 29 markings....

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's the rescue compartment....not finished yet but nicely laid out.....

Attached Files Image(s)

Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
the scenes were about 2 blocks from 33/15

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 (KJV)
Quote:the scenes were about 2 blocks from 33/15
However, by district line, the one closer to the finish line was first due for 7/17
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Isn't Ladder 17 a TL? Is it being reverted back to a RM straight stick?  Anyways, it was used by law enforcement officials shortly after the bombing to survey the scene. There are numerous AP photos of it.

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/rmS7Ut...BOSTON.JPG

And thanks for the factory photos! Looks sharp and well thought out.

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Aluminum wheels this time huh?

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
 It would be interesting to see if the Tower Ladder that is currently assigned to Tower Ladder 17 is  reassigned to another Ladder company such as 29 or whether it will be used strictly as a spare Ladder company.

Here's a picture of it at FDIC before going into building

Attached Files Image(s)

Does anyone know the wheelbase? I remember it was supposed to be extremely short. Also, any idea what the cost is?

Guerry N. Barbee

Career - Charlotte Fire Department - Relief Captain Battalion 1

Combo Dept - Cornelius-Lemley Fire Rescue - Deputy Fire Chief - "The Graveyard"

guerrybarbee@yahoo.com
Quote:Does anyone know the wheelbase? I remember it was supposed to be extremely short. Also, any idea what the cost is?
KME website "newswire" said at the time when the contract was announced: 208" wheelbase, 41' overall vehicle length, 14' outrigger spread.
I'm as big a KME hater as you could find but that is a gorgeous truck.

Still confused as to why the rig has been reassigned already? Any BFD fire fighters know the reason? I wouldn't understand what the tragic events of the Marathon would have to do with converting 17 from a tower to a rma?
Quote: It would be interesting to see if the Tower Ladder that is currently assigned to Tower Ladder 17 is  reassigned to another Ladder company such as 29 or whether it will be used strictly as a spare Ladder company.
I've heard rumor of Boston wanting to go back to one TL per Division.  I would guess TL17 would be reassigned to TL10 and TL10's rig would become the spare.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Because TL 17s Pierce is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to large a piece of apparatus for their district, plain and simple. They are actually to big for 85% of the neighborhoods outside the larger downtown streets like Boylston St, Huntington Ave, and a few others. Im assuming the reassignment is as simple as stated above. Not sure whats not to understand. L17 is in the first alarm district of the finish line to the Marathon. Im pretty sure its KMEs idea to show a little support while they demo the rig at FDIC. Theres 2 more identical rigs coming off the line right behind it,, they will be delivered together, so its not like reassigning it is a huge deal. Im pretty sure one of the other 2 will be marked up for L29.

<p class="bbc_center">Kevin White

Fireground Photographer

www.KDWFirePhotos.com
Just out of curiosity, would 15 actually be the one that was shown on the news so much, does 17 have safety stripes?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News...cials-said

^^ That can be deleted, after looking at the first photo more, that's definitely a Pierce, not an E\-One... I apologize

Travis, the ladder pictured in the link you provided is L15. Its a 2010 E\-One CII 110' RMA and was in service that day and probably the one you saw. TL17 was also at the scene, and may have been pictured in another photo you saw perhaps?

<p class="bbc_center">Kevin White

Fireground Photographer

www.KDWFirePhotos.com
<strong>I had read a few years ago that the BFD had wanted to purchase a few Tillered Aerial Ladders  however it was based on purchasing them with grant money which didn't come through so the plans were cancelled. Considering that Tower Ladder 17 is supposed to be "too large" for parts of it's district it probably would make more sense to purchase a few Tillered Aerial Ladders as  Tillered Aerial Ladders are good for narrow streets with tight clearances. New York City runs with 13 of them and Philadelphia runs with them in addition to Balfimore and Washington DC. I know that Boston did run with them until sometime in the late 70s and early 80s. It seems that of the major fire departments on the east coast that I just mentioned , only Boston isn't running with any Tillered Aerial Ladders at all.</strong>