Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sedan cab apparatus, 1975 or older
The thread "Commercial Canopy Cab Apparatus"  sparked the idea for this thread.  We are all too familiar with the "square box" custom cabs we have these days and we have been looking at 4 door, crew cab International 4900's and Freightliner FL-80's for years.  This thread is about fully enclosed cabs from back in the days before everyone was doing it.  This includes 1975 or older custom and commercial chassis rigs with 4 doors or 3 doors, as some FD's opted for having a rear door on the curb side only.  One more thing, we all know that FDNY began purchasing 4 door Mack CF's in 1971 and that many of these rigs went on to other FD's, so I don't feel it is necessary to post them all again in this thread, however, if you have a shot of one that never served FDNY, go right ahead and add it.

I'll begin with this 1950 Ahrens-Fox HC 1000/350 that originally served the Friendship Fire Company of Royersford, PA.  It was later sold to Soddy Daisy, TN and is currently undergoing a complete restoration after many years of service there.  "Beulah", as she is known, will continue to serve as a PR apparatus for many years to come.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Next up is this 1971 Seagrave PB that served Baltimore, MD.  It was one of five purchased that year.

The Fame Fire Company #2 of Lewistown, PA purchased this Howe pumper in 1968.  Built on an International CO-8190 chassis, it carred a 1000 GPM pump and was painted in the longtime Company colors of cream and blue.  It was later sold to the small community of Joppa, AL and repainted red with a white belt. 

Ship Bottom, NJ purchased this unusual Ford C/Imperial 750/500 pumper in 1972.  It later served Chatsworth, NJ. 

This is my 1958 Ward LaFrance 2 door closed cab in service 32 years Port Chester New York Fire Dept [Westchester County ] then another 16 years in Alexandria New Hampshire. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Last one for now is this 1973 Ward LaFrance Ambassador 1000/750 that was delivered to Norwood, PA in 1973.  It later served New Buffalo, PA, where this photo was taken, and then was sold to Donaldson, PA.

Quote:This is my 1958 Ward LaFrance 2 door closed cab in service 32 years Port Chester New York Fire Dept [Westchester County ] then another 16 years in Alexandria New Hampshire. 
I don't recall where I took this shot of it.  I thought it was a 4 door.  My records show it to be a 1250/500, Model 85T.

1955 Ahrens Fox 1,000/300 Port Chester Fire Dept [Westchester County]

Attached Files Image(s)

You shot that a the 50th annversary SPAAMFAA  show in Syracuse in 2008. After Alexandria got it they put in a 1,000 Gall tank and thats why the 2x8 on top so it can carry some hose on top of the new tank that filled the old hose bed and that's the way I kept it .

Does Joppa still own our old Howe? Would be nice to see it return home.
Quote:Does Joppa still own our old Howe? Would be nice to see it return home.
I'll see if I can find out.
Brucos:

Boswell, PA.; 1953 IH 1000/500

Jenkins collection

Everett,PA; 1954 IH 750/500

J. Woods; Jenkins collection

Unknown

Jenkins collection

Baltimore E52 aka RE83,orig.E-24

1972 ALF Pacemaker 4-door 1000/300

at fire scene in Pimlico area, winter,1992

WW Jenkins photo

1970 Mack CF/SWAB 1000/300, GAS Engine

Harrisburg FD,PA.;1970-78

Fairview Twp. (York Co.) 1978-89

Richland Twp. (Cambria Co.) 1989-96 (wrecked)

10/1994 photo by WW Jenkins

Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Awesome stuff, Warren!  Here's another Bruco.  The fire companies in Lewistown were fond of early enclosed rigs.

Engine 32, Brooklyn Hose Company #3, Lewistown, PA

1961 International V-190/Bruco

750/750

In the early 1950's, Ward LaFrance won a contract to supply the U.S. Air Force with new pumpers.  Between 1953 and 1956, 662 Model CW-750A's were delivered to Air Force bases around the world.  Commonly called the 750A, or "Crackerbox", these rigs carried a 750 GPM pump, 175 gallon tank and 40 gallon foam tank.  Tanks were sometimes increased to 300 gallons.  After service with the Air Force, many of these rigs served in Civilian departments.  Haletown, TN ran this one for several years.

In 1972, Ward LaFrance introduced a new concept in fire apparatus.  Teaming up with U.S. Steel, this fully enclosed crew cab was built around a welded steel safety cage and mounted on a Ford C-Series chassis..  The cab also tilted for access to the engine.  A nationwide contest was held to name the apparatus and the name "Vantage" was chosen.  WLF called it the Model 72.  This 1973 version was delivered to Erial, NJ.  It carried a 1000 GPM pump and a 500 gallon tank.  Only nine Vantage pumpers were built.