Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
United States Forest Service
[quote name='Aaronw' timestamp='1344528514' post='494671']

John this should have what you are looking for. The top link takes you to a document with the 3 letter designators used nationwide (warning it is a big list). Some other info at the other links that could be helpful.

[url="http://www.nifc.blm.gov/nsdu/unit_id/Publish.html"]http://www.nifc.blm....id/Publish.html[/url]

[/quote]

Thanks, that'll help!

John
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
What does the Forest Service use the Cobra's for? I see what looks like a FLIR on the front for (probably) looking for hot spots, but can they carry any water or fire retardent?
Is there a name for that color green on the apparatus... Its like the govt surplus shade used on many older municipal buildings . Very antiseptic ...
The cobras are primarily used as air attack platforms coordinating air operations (tankers / helicopters) and for doing IR mapping.

BFD, the color is Forest Service Green and (theoretically at least) is FS595# 14260.

I say theoretically because in reality it changes slightly by year and apparatus builder from a bluish-grey tint to a yellow/green tint.
Aaron Woods
Shasta - Trinity National Forest Heli-Tender 506

Forest Service helitenders carry equipment for the helicopter (bambi-bucket etc), and personal gear for the helitack crew for extended attack. The compartment behind the cab is intended for use as an office or control tower for a helibase. These trucks do not carry fuel or repair parts for the helicopter, those are supplied by the helicopter contractor.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aaron Woods
[Image: 120-1.jpg]

ANF Utillity 17.
E321 and 322, yesterday, at their North Bend, WA station. Both are 2011 IH/KME-KOVATCH Type 3's, and were preparing for a southern Idaho response, to fight the Trinity Ridge blaze.

WA-BSF Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest

Bob Lukas Photo

[quote name='TransverseRoad' timestamp='1345997284' post='496384']

E321 and 322, yesterday, at their North Bend, WA station. Both are 2011 IH/KME-KOVATCH Type 3's, and were preparing for a southern Idaho response, to fight the Trinity Ridge blaze.

WA-BSF Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest

Bob Lukas Photo

[/quote]

I see you were in my neck of the woods yesterday... The pics don't do these rigs justice, these trucks are huge!
[quote name='dfuzz78' timestamp='1346002221' post='496387']

I see you were in my neck of the woods yesterday... The pics don't do these rigs justice, these trucks are huge!

[/quote] I could not believe how large this base was, and with only two rigs stationed there, and not even a spare.
[quote name='TransverseRoad' timestamp='1346043490' post='496533']

I could not believe how large this base was, and with only two rigs stationed there, and not even a spare.

[/quote]

I don't know that particular station, but many Forest Service fire stations are more properly work centers housing many non-fire related crews. Many of the USFS stations date back to the Civilian Conservation Corps days when there might have been 40+ people working out of a station. With the demise of the CCCs many years of down sizing and / or contracting out, most of these crews are gone leaving a very large foot print for a relatively small crew. If the station is on forest service land there really is no driving need to reduce the size of the grounds and often there may be historic buildings on site in various states of disrepair.
Aaron Woods
Mendocino National Forest Engine 33

1996 Ford F800 / BME Model 62

500 /500

This engine was replaced with Engine 333, and is currently the forest's reserve engine.

Aaron Woods
Six Rivers National Forest

Ukonom Hotshots (Orleans, CA)

Aaron Woods
Mendocino National Forest Engine 333

2010 IH 7400 / KME Model 326

250 / 600

This is the replacement for Engine 33 posted above, stationed out of Stonyford, CA

Aaron Woods
[Image: 021_18A.jpg]

Angeles Engine 111.
[Image: 062.jpg]

SRF Patrol 12.

Ex USFS Model 61 IH 4x4 builder unknown (guessing B&Z or Phoenix as they were the primary builders for the USFS in the 1980s)

250 gpm pump, 500 gallon tank

Now operated by the Lower Trinity Volunteer Fire Department in Northern, CA

The key identification feature between most USFS type 3 engines in California are the hose reels. The Model 61 has two hose reels mounted low, the 1st generation Model 62 (regular cab with part of the crew in the body like the Model 61) located the hose reels higher providing a taller rear compartment. The 2nd/ 3rd generation have a crew cab with 2 hose reels, the 4th and 5th generation removed one hose reel and mounted in the back inside a roll up door.

Attached Files Image(s)

Aaron Woods
Shasta Trinity National Forest Engine 81

1996 Ford F800 builder unknown (probably Boise Mobile Equipment)

500/500

This engine is now a reserve for the forest. There is no district 8, so they give all reserve equipent an 80s series number.

This engine is one of the 1st generation Model 62s, if you look at the hose reels you can see they sit about 12" higher than the Model 61 posted above and have a tall rectangular compartment below the reel instead of a square compartment.

Aaron Woods
Mendocino National Forest Engine 53

Model 62 Boise Mobile Equipment / 1997 IH4900

500/500

This is an example of the 2nd generation Model 62 (very minor differences related to the plumbing on the 3rd generation). This generation introduced the crew cab to the Model 62 series.

Aaron Woods
Six Rivers National Forest Engine 43

Model 62 Boise Mobile Equipment / 2001 IH 4900

500 / 500

This is an example of the 4th generation Model 62, it was short lived only being built in 2001/2002.

The hose reels were removed from the side, and a single hose reel is in the rear roll up compartment. This was also the year the USFS introduced (reluctantly) an automatic transmission as a suitable manual transmission was no longer an option.

Aaron Woods
Apache Sitgraves National Forest Engine 622

KME / Ford Model 643

130 gpm aux pump, 300 gallon tank

Another example of the new national standard type 6 engine. If you go to KME this engine can be found in their recent deliveries gallery.

Aaron Woods