Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOT C1FD Chassis
The SCOT C1FD fire department chassis was manufactured from the early 1970's to the very early 1980's. It was built in Debert, Nova Scotia in an old Second World War aircraft hangar. It has been described as one of the ugliest trucks ever built by some, and it ranks among the top of the favourite list for others. Because it was fairly unique, I fall into the second category.

SCOT built not only cabovers, but some conventional rigs as well, although I have never seen a photo of a conventional one as a fire truck. The Canadian Fire Service was one of the largest purchasers of these trucks, although only about 115 were fire trucks. The Canadian Military bought a number of cabovers as aircraft refuelers and some conventionals as transport trucks, and 2 for fire trucks.

Most of the major city fire departments in Canada had some SCOT rigs, and a number were sold to smaller departments. Pierreville Fire Trucks did most of the coachwork on them, with King Seagrave coming in second. Thibault, Anderson, LRB and Atlantic Fire Trucks also built some, although in much smaller numbers. There was one that a chassis was purchased and the fire department's shop built the coachwork on. There were pumpers, ladders, snorkels and tankers built, but I am unaware of any rescue truck being built with this cab.

The majority of the photos following were taken by myself, with credit being given to those that were taken by someone else. If anyone has photos of SCOT's, especially those that I don't post here, it would be greatly appreciated if those could be posted. Thanks, Ken Walton

First up is Kingston Township, Ontario 1979 King that was refurbed with a new body by Almonte Fire Trucks and has a 1050 pump with a 500 gallon water tank.

Attached Files Image(s)

Kingston Township's second SCOT was also a 1979 King with a 1050 pump, 500 gallon water and 75 foot telesqurt.

Attached Files Image(s)

I photographed Debert, Nova Scotia's 2 SCOT's, but this was before I took info, so I don't have the specs. Debert was home to SCOT.

Attached Files Image(s)

The dreaded indoor shot, but the guy that was at the station was washing his car at the time and it was parked in front of the tanker.

Attached Files Image(s)

Bathurst, New Brunswick is home to this Pierreville 75 foot telesqurt. This truck is still in service although the telesqurt was removed and a 75 foot aerial was put on it instead.

Attached Files Image(s)

Chateauguay, Quebce's 1980 LTI tower has a 1050 pump, 300 gallons of water and a 100 foot stick.

Attached Files Image(s)

Halifax, Nova Scotia ran this 1974 King 85 foot elevating platform out of headquarters for years.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hull, Quebec ran this 1980 100 foot Pierreville stick. This truck fought a lot of fire in its career.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nelson-Mirimachi, New Brunswick ran this 1976 Atlantic Fire Trucks 1800 gallon tanker with a small PTO pump.

Attached Files Image(s)

St. John, New Brunswick ran Pumper 1 with a 1979 Pierreville 1050/500.

Attached Files Image(s)

St. John Truck 5 was a 1978 Pierreville 100 foot.

Attached Files Image(s)

St. John also had Pumper 2 which was a 1980 Pierreville 625/1800. More to come later.

Attached Files Image(s)

Now this is a topic I like, I always thought these things were neat looking. When I went picture taking in Canada I was hoping to see one of these but alas it was not meant to be (although I DID see a lot of unique apparatus!). Good thread, I will be watching with interest!!
[quote name='Rheems1' date='12 April 2010 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1271084317' post='375775']

Now this is a topic I like, I always thought these things were neat looking. When I went picture taking in Canada I was hoping to see one of these but alas it was not meant to be (although I DID see a lot of unique apparatus!). Good thread, I will be watching with interest!!

[/quote]

Thanks for the interest. I have about 92 of the 115 SCOT's in my collection, so I am hoping that others will be able to fill in the gaps.
Bedford, Nova Scotia had this Pierreville, although I have no other info on it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Etobicoke, Ontario had two of these 1978 King 840/500 rigs.

Attached Files Image(s)

The other one from Etobicoke, only time I ever saw it was on this fire call.

Attached Files Image(s)

Fredericton, New Brunswick ran this 1980 King 85 foot Fire King elevating platform.

Attached Files Image(s)

Fredericton also ran this 1977 Thibault 840/2000.

Attached Files Image(s)

Halifax, Nova Scotia also ran 2 pumpers, this is the only one I ever was able to photograph of the two. 1976 King 1050/500.

Attached Files Image(s)