Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Virginia - Need help
I had to travel to West Virginia on business and managed to take several apparatus photos from West Virginia FD's in which I have very little information on. I hoping firepics members can help.

I stopped off in Flatwoods to gas up the car and found several unique trucks.

This first one was sitting at a local truck stop. In the front seat was a for sale sign with a telephone number (I left a message and have heard nothing).

It is a Ford C900/Sanford with a a 1000gpm pump. Outside of that, I have no info. I checked the cab for any information and there is not one manufacturer plate - no plates from Ford or Sanford. Everything has been removed. The pump panel also did not provide any information regarding the year of the truck. I have no idea what FD this Ford once served. It is one of the few Sanford's I have photographed.

There was also a wasp nest in the process of being built just inside the Ford cab - I was ticking off some bees so I did not have much more time (or desire)to climb around this truck.

Anyone recognize where this might be from?

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
So I figured maybe the Ford C belonged to the local volunteer FD. I decided to try and find the station. After receiving directions from a local cashier ("the station is in the woods"), I finally found the local Flatwoods station located down a rock driveway "in the woods". The station was closed up tight, but several pieces were sitting outside, and again I am hoping for some help. Hopefully, the serial numbers that I was able to get from these will help our serial number pro's.

Flatwoods, West VA

1977 ALF Pioneer

1250gpm

s/n PC-16-5446

plaque on the side says "in memory of Donald Tenney".

Obviously this ALF served elsewhere before Flatwoods. It also appears to be out of service.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
This was a good find and am again looking for some help.

Also located at the Flatwoods station is this Seagrave ladder truck. This truck will not fit into the station and it appeared to be in somewhat good shape.

1972 Seagrave SR 20786 100'

s/n B73161

It appears Flatwoods received this from someone else.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last one from West Virginia - and yes, again, looking for some help.

I am now a good number of miles down the road from Flatwoods in Nitro, West Virginia (just outside of Charleston). It was raining when I came into Nitro. I came upon the Nitro station by accident and stopped. This squad was sitting out on the front ramp in the rain. It stopped raining, the sun appeared, and I hurriedly parked the car to get photos. Just as I finished a photo, I heard the tones dropping, and the guys suiting up to take this squad and a ALF pumper to a auto accident.

I could not hang around as I had an afternoon meeting. You will note the internet address on the side of the truck. I checked that out and could find no info regarding this truck (unless I missed it).

Nitro, West VA

Rescue 881

KenWorth/Hackney

Anyone have the year of this squad? Now I know I could call these West Virginia FD's to get the info.....and I will if I need to. Just wanted to share the photos and see if anyone has info.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' post='128377' date='Jul 11 2007, 19:35 ']This was a good find and am again looking for some help.

Also located at the Flatwoods station is this Seagrave ladder truck. This truck will not fit into the station and it appeared to be in somewhat good shape.

s/n B73161

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

I am certainly not the guy to ask, but something about that ladder truck is screaming FDNY to me, although it does have different rims.
John Kenealy

[url="http://www.cnyfiretrucks.com"]CNYFiretrucks.com: Over 5200 photos of apparatus from over 1000 New York State Departments![/url]

[Image: IMAG0400.jpg] New York
B73161-SL7217-L102-L25-?(1980) Sold:Buckhannon, West Virginia

[quote name='mnsand' post='128377' date='Jul 11 2007, 19:35 ']This was a good find and am again looking for some help.

s/n B73161

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]
how many 77 Pioneer's did Buffalo, NY have? I have 5444 as Buffalo, so maybe this one is too. I'm sure somebody out there knows!!!

1977 PC-17-5444 Buffalo, New York NY E23(poss. a 50' TSQ) 1250/500 American La France Pioneer III

[quote name='mnsand' post='128376' date='Jul 11 2007, 19:31 ']So I figured maybe the Ford C belonged to the local volunteer FD. I decided to try and find the station. After receiving directions from a local cashier ("the station is in the woods"), I finally found the local Flatwoods station located down a rock driveway "in the woods". The station was closed up tight, but several pieces were sitting outside, and again I am hoping for some help. Hopefully, the serial numbers that I was able to get from these will help our serial number pro's.

Flatwoods, West VA

1977 ALF Pioneer

1250gpm

s/n PC-16-5446

plaque on the side says "in memory of Donald Tenney".

Obviously this ALF served elsewhere before Flatwoods. It also appears to be out of service.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]
[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' post='128445' date='Jul 11 2007, 21:30 ']B73161-SL7217-L102-L25-?(1980) Sold:Buckhannon, West Virginia[/quote]

Outstanding! Thank you.

I now wonder (and suspect) that there were other FD(s) who ran this truck between Buckhannon and Flatwoods.

Thanks for both pierces of info.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' post='128459' date='Jul 11 2007, 22:08 ']Outstanding! Thank you.

I now wonder (and suspect) that there were other FD(s) who ran this truck between Buckhannon and Flatwoods.

Thanks for both pierces of info.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Buckhannon had it at least until they got their Sutphen tower which I believe was also purchased used. One of the guys at my department goes to college down there and volunteers with Buckhannon FD. I'll see what kind of information he can find out about it for you, Mike.
Jay Kormann
Mike: The Ford C model Sanford pumper is originally from Essington, Pennsylvania in Delaware County. When I get home later in the week I will check for the Sanford serial number.

Tom Shand

Hamburg, New York
[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' post='128446' date='Jul 11 2007, 21:34 ']how many 77 Pioneer's did Buffalo, NY have? I have 5444 as Buffalo, so maybe this one is too. I'm sure somebody out there knows!!!

1977 PC-17-5444 Buffalo, New York NY E23(poss. a 50' TSQ) 1250/500 American La France Pioneer III[/quote]

Mike,

Buffalo only had 2 1977 Pioneers. The pumper assigned to E 23 did not have a telesqurt, and a rearmount 100' ladder was assigned to L 9. The only Pioneers with a telesqurt (35') were assigned to E 18 and E 37. They were from the first order of 9 pumps and 4 ladders. Shortly after delivery of the Pioneers, E 36's Mack CF and E-1's Pioneer were switched. The original order of Pioneers went to Engines 1, 18, 22, 25, 26, 31, 35, 37, and 38. The 4 ladders were assigned to Ladders 4, 7, 10, and 12.

Ron
The Villages Department of Public Safety

The Villages, Florida
Tom,

You are correct on the Ford C/Sanford.

Mike, info I have on it below:

1971 Ford C900/Sanford, full cab, 1000/500, It was purchased on 6/15/71 by the Essington Fire Company (Delaware County, PA) at a cost of $40,000 and was housed 9/30/72. Sold by Charlie Mullin for East Coast Fire Equipment, gas motor, 5-speed manual transmission. Sold to Hillbilly Fire – ended up in WV in 1987.

Bruce
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
Good Photos Mike.

BTW Did you leave money so that they could call you about that rig???
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
The knowledge on this board continuously amazes me.

Thank you Bruce, Ron, Tom, and Engine 2524 for the information.

Thanks,

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' post='128380' date='Jul 11 2007, 19:44 ']Last one from West Virginia - and yes, again, looking for some help.

I am now a good number of miles down the road from Flatwoods in Nitro, West Virginia (just outside of Charleston). It was raining when I came into Nitro. I came upon the Nitro station by accident and stopped. This squad was sitting out on the front ramp in the rain. It stopped raining, the sun appeared, and I hurriedly parked the car to get photos. Just as I finished a photo, I heard the tones dropping, and the guys suiting up to take this squad and a ALF pumper to a auto accident.

I could not hang around as I had an afternoon meeting. You will note the internet address on the side of the truck. I checked that out and could find no info regarding this truck (unless I missed it).

Nitro, West VA

Rescue 881

KenWorth/Hackney

Anyone have the year of this squad? Now I know I could call these West Virginia FD's to get the info.....and I will if I need to. Just wanted to share the photos and see if anyone has info.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Nitro's Rescue 881 is new - it has been in service for about three months and is a 2007.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Being from WV I can shed a little info on the Nitro dept. as I know a few of the guys.

The City of Nitro is in Kanawha and Putnam counties. Nitro and St. Albans cities have dual response in place. Nitro runs I believe 2 engines, the rescue and a ladder (quint) out of the one station. Call dictates what truck goes.

St. Albans runs two stations with the same set up. Ladder (quint) 2 engines and a rescue. Again what ever the call dictates they bring. Both cities are small with St. Albans being the bigger, so the agreement helps with man power and equipment.

Brand wise, I think Smeal, Pierce, ALF, FMC are what they use.
[quote name='mnsand' post='128377' date='Jul 11 2007, 18:35 ']This was a good find and am again looking for some help.

s/n B73161

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' post='128445' date='Jul 11 2007, 20:30 ']B73161-SL7217-L102-L25-?(1980) Sold:Buckhannon, West Virginia[/quote]

Mike

I saw this post and dug out a picture in the Buckhannon Livery. I think this was taken in 97 but could have been in 96. This picture was taken at the annual Strawberry Festival firemans parade.

Chris O. - DCFD F/F NREMT-B and member of Friendship Fire Association, CAFAA & ODHFS

[color="#ff0000"]Owner 1968 Mack CF Semi-Open Cab CF-600 ex. Cumberland, MD Original E1 Retired E4

Owner 1974 Mack CF CF-700 ex. Willow Grove, PA E10-3; Dillsburg, PA E64[/color]

[size="6"][color="#000000"]REAL FIRE TRUCKS ARE BLACK AND[/color] [color="#ffffff"]WHITE[/color][/size]

[color="#000000"]COLOR DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF YOU ARE COLOR BLIND - JUST THE SHADE[/color]
Speaking of Buckhannon here is Engine 11 taken in 96 or 97.

Chris O. - DCFD F/F NREMT-B and member of Friendship Fire Association, CAFAA & ODHFS

[color="#ff0000"]Owner 1968 Mack CF Semi-Open Cab CF-600 ex. Cumberland, MD Original E1 Retired E4

[size="6"][color="#000000"]REAL FIRE TRUCKS ARE BLACK AND[/color] [color="#ffffff"]WHITE[/color][/size]

[color="#000000"]COLOR DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF YOU ARE COLOR BLIND - JUST THE SHADE[/color]
I think this American LaFrance would have been Engine 12. Buckhannon, WV.

The county and the city are 2 different departments. City call = city engine hence county call = county engine. Here is the county engine that runs out of the city station. Engine 1101.