Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Alexandria, VA Fire Department
Being fairly new to the board I don't know if there has been much posting of Alexandria FD's rigs. Alexandria is just across the

Potomac River from Washington, DC, south of Arlington County and North of Fairfax County. Alexandria, Fairfax County, and Arlington County have an automatic aid agreement to dispatch rigs based on closest to incident that has been in place for at least since at least the 80s.

As I have time I will add some of what I have of their current fleet of rigs. Older rigs and some of the rigs I don't have in digital format will need to be scanned as I have time. Hope you enjoy keep checking back. Please feel free to add what you have as well.

Engine 204, Extrication Engine 204 when responding on extrication calls, is located at 900 2nd Street, at Powhatan St on the North Side of Old Town Alexandria, close to the GW Parkway. Station 204 is the closes Alexandria station to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.

1999 Dash chassis, 1250GM, 500gallon tank, 40gallon B foam, extrication tools.

Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
Any suggestions on what I have to do to cut down on the size of my pictures so they aren't so large here. Any suggestions would be appreciated so I can add more pictures.
Dave McClung

express permission.
[quote name='Dave McClung' post='67802' date='Jan 15 2007, 15:57 ']Any suggestions on what I have to do to cut down on the size of my pictures so they aren't so large here. Any suggestions would be appreciated so I can add more pictures.[/quote]

Dave,

Resize them on your photoshop to a smaller size. Usually about 50 or 75% is good. Its a try and see thing.

John
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
[quote name='Dave McClung' post='67802' date='Jan 15 2007, 15:57 ']Any suggestions on what I have to do to cut down on the size of my pictures so they aren't so large here. Any suggestions would be appreciated so I can add more pictures.[/quote]

I use MS Paint by opening up the file then going to "image" then "stretch/skew" and use the stretch part by changing the % to 75 or 50 but I use 25-50%

-Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Engine 204, Extrication Engine 204 when responding on extrication calls. 1999 Dash chassis, 1250GM, 500gallon tank, 40gallon B foam, extrication tools.

DS Forward

Lets try this and see how it works.....
Dave McClung

express permission.
Engine 204, Extrication Engine 204 when responding on extrication calls. 1999 Dash chassis, 1250GM, 500gallon tank, 40gallon B foam, extrication tools.

All pictures that I post taken by Dave McClung unless noted.

Dave McClung

express permission.
Dave,

They look good. Resizing sure helps and it still shows them off very well.

Keep posting- all of FXCO.

John
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
Engine 207, same stats as Engine 204. Runs from Station 207, 3301 Duke Street. Engine 207 is equiped as an extrication Engine and runs a lot of calls on the Capital Beltway (I-495) which is the southern boundary of the City of Alexandria and Fairfax County, and the Wilson Bridge crossing into PG County, Maryland.

Dave McClung

express permission.
John, I don't live in Alexandria any more. I moved back to Minnesota a few years back. Though they still remember me in Fairfax County. Last August I was at FS 430 photographing their Pierce midmount tower and Pierce engine and the Deputy Chief remembered me from the summer of 1995 or 1996 when I photographed every frontline FFX CO rig in one summer. I still have all those pictures but they aren't digital. Now that I have a scanner I will try to find some time and go back and post some of those pictures. I will also find time to add the old AFD KME pumpers at some point. I will also add some old and new Minnesota stuff.
Dave McClung

express permission.
Engine 207

Engine 207 and 204 are two of my favorite pumpers. Big Pierce fan but there are just something about these two that I have always liked more than others.

Dave McClung

express permission.
Alexandria Fire Department Boat 201

Fireboat Vigilant

Metalcraft Marine Firestorm 30

Speed: 42 MPH

L.O.A.: 33‘ 6”

B.O.A.: 10' 8"‘

NFPA Class: C *

Pump (rated): 1000 gpm Hale

Flow meter results: 1260 GPM from main, 1600 GPM flow from two monitors

Monitor: FireFox Remote Akron Conquest

Engine: Twin Yanmar Diesels 315 HP each

Jets: Hamilton 322

Boat 201 is kept at the Alexandria City Dock on the Potomac River, Old Town Alexandria, VA.

Dave McClung

express permission.
Engine 208

2004 Pierce Dash, 1250 GPM, 750 gallon tank, 40 gallon B foam tank.

Dave McClung

express permission.
Engine 201

2004 Pierce Dash, 1000 GPM, 750 gallon water tank, 40 gallon B foam tank.

Engine 202 is similar specs but was purchased in 2005. Hopefully I will get pictures later this spring on my next trip.

Dave McClung

express permission.
Just curious, It seems many departments in Virginia and Maryland, both urban and suburban, use 3" hose as supply lines. I've seen hose beds set up for dual lines and as with these rigs, cross connected. Any particular reason this setup is used instead of 4" or 5" supply hose? Always been curious?

Joe

Tampa Fire Rescue

E6 "C"
I got into the department just as we were switching from 3 to 4 inch. First off, DC uses 3 inch, so i'm sure with most big cities the departments around them sort of emulate them (since they were around first and all).

If you lay dual 3 inch lines from the hydrant, the friction loss difference is not that much different than a singe 4 inch line.

You can move a 3 inch line that is filled with water much easier than 4 inch.

You can drive over 3 inch and 4 inch you cannot.

Thats just what i know, and is surely not all there is to it. Plus people are more apt to lay out as a precaution since its so easy to re rack 3 inch.
Thats an interesting design on Engine's 201, 208 Officer's side. I like the short wheelbase on Enigne 1. I bet that thing handles like a dream!
Welcome Dave and thanks for the photos. It's great so see some Virginia apparatus on this site!
Quote:Engine 204, Extrication Engine 204 when responding on extrication calls, is located at 900 2nd Street, at Powhatan St on the North Side of Old Town Alexandria, close to the GW Parkway. Station 204 is the closes Alexandria station to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.

Actually Station 202 is the closest Alex. station to the airport. The second due engine is Arlington E-105 and the third due is Alex. E-202. I think 204 is fourth or fifth due to the airport.
Yes, arff-ff, you are correct now that I check the cards but with Potomac Yard and Crystal City traffic along Route 1 I bet E204 would get their first in a race between 202 and 204.

Thanks for the clarification.
Dave McClung

express permission.
Jerry, Thanks for the words of encouragement. It was actually your comments about starting to post that got me off my rear to do this. Love your magazine and glad to see that it is going strong. It's one of the best out there. Without the deliveries section I wouldn't know whats been delivered and what to go shoot when I am back in town.

Now that I am back in Minnesota I don't get much chance to shoot NOVA rigs but I try to make some time the two or three times a year I am back visiting. If I get anything interesting next time I am in town, maybe in March I will get in touch.

I am looking forward to breaking the box with all my old Alex, FFX CO and Arllington CO pictures out so I can start scanning them. Might take a while though, I got myself elected to the city council where I grew up and am our city representative on the fire board of directors for the fire department that we contract with. Lake Johanna FD is a private, non-profit corporation that contracts with 3 cities with a population of just over 40,000 for fire protection. Give me a week or so and I will get most of LJFD's pictures up in the new Minnesota thread I started.
Dave McClung

express permission.