Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles
For the past 10 years or so, my family has vacationed on the beaches of the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The beaches are beautiful and much of the area is protected so wildlife is abundant. It is just a great place to vacation. In addition to everything there is to see at the Outer Banks, I love taking a day to visit the fire departments that make up the "Outer Banks".

I will admit, I am not exactly sure what the definition of the Outer Banks actually is. Everyone seems to have their own definition. Here is what I have learned - the beach areas that stretch along Currituck County and Dare County are commonly defined as the Outer Banks. Whatever the definition, the apparatus are interesting and it has been fun following the growth of these FD's as more and more people visit this part of North Carolina.

Most of the FD's are not very old....they have grown as the area has grown. FD's have started with small homemade apparatus or "simple" fire trucks and have made the transition to custom pieces. New, old, second hand, etc. apparatus can be found. This, in my opinion, make these FD's unique. In addition, the FD's have unique challenges with beaches, hurricanes, and flooding. The apparatus are designed for these unique challenges.

Here is what I would like to do.....I would like to show Firepic members the apparatus of Currituck and Dare Counties. I don't have everything, but I do have most of the apparatus since I have been visiting during the last 10 years or so.

I will start with the FD's of Currituck County and then go to Dare County. I think you will really enjoy the unique variety of apparatus.

One request - this will be an on-going thread which I will add to as time permits. I am going to take the time to scan my older photos and also use my newer digital photos. I will attempt to do entire departments at one time. I would ask that if you have any photos to add to this thread, please wait until I profile that particular department and I finish with the photos.

Please, any updates, additional information, etc. is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Coming north, most people visit the Outer Banks by going through Virginia - specifically, the tidewater area (Newport News, Suffolk, Chesapeake, etc.).

After passing through Chesapeake, Virginia, you hit the Virginia/North Carolina border. At this border is Currituck County, North Carolina. Moyock, NC is the first area and the Moyock Station 3 runs from one station.

Engine 3 is a 2002 International 4400/Emergency One 1250/900/100 foam. It has serial number 125743.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Moyock Engine 31 is a 1995 E-1 Sentry 1250/1000 with serial number 15317.

Interesting warning light arrangement on the cab.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Moyock's newest truck is Brush 3, a 2004 Ford F450/Rawson-Koenig. It was completed by CW Williams, a North Carolina fire truck distributor. 300/250/30.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Just returned from a nice vacation in Corolla. It was my first trip to the Outer Banks, but you can bet I will be back! Beautiful beaches, and the weather was perfect. I did wonder a bit about what was inside the fire stations I passed . . . looking forward to more of your pictures.
It was difficult to obtain information on Tanker 3. It is a 1992 International with a front mount 1000 gpm pump and holds 3000 gallons of water. Somewhere in this picture CW Williams did some work on this truck. I was told at one point the International did not have the front mount pump.

Any information is welcomed.

This wraps up Moyock. Several other ambo's and a Currituck County medic unit also run from Moyock.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='fyreline' post='29829' date='Sep 3 2006, 21:48 ']Just returned from a nice vacation in Corolla. It was my first trip to the Outer Banks, but you can bet I will be back! Beautiful beaches, and the weather was perfect. I did wonder a bit about what was inside the fire stations I passed . . . looking forward to more of your pictures.[/quote]

I was also in Corolla - stayed at Buck Island. I will be posting the Corolla apparatus at some point.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Continuing towards the Outer Banks, you come across the Crawford TWP fire department. This department has some nice apparatus.

Crawford TWP runs from three stations. The headquarters station is in Sligo, and is the largest of the three stations.

The department has a unique variety of apparatus colors as trucks have been purchased from other departments. However, the new color for the FD is black over red.

Engine 435 is this nice 2004 Seagrave TB 1500/1500 with Seagrave number 78B44.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Also at Crawford's main station is Engine 439, a unique 1991 International 4900/Grumman top mount pump panel. Note no jump seats. 1250/1000

It carries Grumman serial number 18660.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I got surprised this year when I dropped by Crawford's main station - they added black to the International.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Tanker 440 is also black over red and is a 2002 Freightliner 80 and built by US Tanker. 1000/2000. It also runs from Crawford's main station.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
This is the common medic unit purchased by Currituck County. The white with black lines is a newer color for the county ambo's.

This unit is assigned to the main house at Crawford - it is a 2004 Ford E450/Wheeled Coach.

Crawford owns other ambulances that are housed at the three stations.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Many of the FD's in both Currituck and Dare counties have equipment trucks. Their role is to take equipment to the scene of an incident. Throughout this profile you will see a variety of these trucks.

Equipment 444 from Crawford TWP is no longer in service. I found this on the main route to the Outer Banks (Route 158) sitting at a bodyshop/garage in Crawford Twp.

No specific info on this truck, except it is a Chevy Van 30.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
For those who have visited this part of North Carolina, you have probably seen the small three bay Crawford Station located near the county court house area. It is tough to find anyone at this station and I have always had to make arrangements to get these trucks photographed. However, behind the doors of this little sub station are some interesting apparatus.

Engine 437 is this 1980 Seagrave PB 1500/1000 with serial number K79121. Before life at Crawford TWP it ran as Virginia Beach Engine 2 and Engine 32.

After visiting last week, I was told the rumor is that this Seagrave will also see some black added to it at some point. Time will tell.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Another ex- Virginia Beach Seagrave also runs from the small sub station. Ladder 442 is a 1976 Seagrave SR 100' with serial number G-75122. It previously ran as Virginia Beach Ladder 9.

Have you heard this ladder truck was being re-painted?

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I must say the highlight of my apparatus photos this year at the Outer Banks was Crawford's repainted Seagrave ladder truck.

About a week before traveling to North Carolina, I called Crawford to try and make arrangements for photos of the new black over red ladder truck. I was told it was currently in Virginia having work done on the generator and was not expected to be back in Crawford.

Although disappointed, I stopped off at Crawford's main station and found the black over red International/Grumman (earlier post). However, no one was home. Several minutes later I began hearing a variety of sirens coming to the fire station. First a medic unit arrived and then firefighters in their POV's. They began setting up a landing zone next to the main Crawford Station as a result of a serious auto accident. About 10 minutes later, the Seagrave pulled up to the station with lights and siren going to assist. It carries a hurst tool and was the main piece used to extricate a patient. The Seagrave had arrived back to Crawford from Virginia and placed into service the night before. The following morning, it was needed for the extrication call. After the helicopter took off and the FD cleaned up, they moved the ladder around for photos.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Crawford's third station is the Maple Station. It was Crawford's first station when they began operations in 1974 and was originally a service station.

Yet another ex- Virginia Beach Seagrave runs from this station. Engine 436 is a 1980 Seagrave PB 1500/750 with serial number K-79123. I do not know where the Seagrave was assigned to while at Va. Beach.

I also heard the black over red rumor for this pumper.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Tanker 438 is this 1978 GMC/Hamerly with a 1000gpm pump. How much water is carried is a bit in question.

Originally, Tanker 438 served the Chesapeake, Virginia FD. I believe while at Chesapeake it had a 500 gallon tank. I was not able to verify exactly how much water it now carries at Crawford, but it appears not to be to much over the 500 gallons.

This one is in rough shape and I believe will be replaced soon.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I photographed this medic unit several years ago at Crawford's Maple Station. Medic 52 is a 1998 Ford E Super Duty/Wheeled Coach.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
What's missing at Crawford? The Maple Station has a new black over red Ford brush truck. Unfortunately, when I visited the station was closed up and several pieces were not at the station....including the Ford brush truck. The new brush truck replaces an older Dodge Power Wagon pick up truck which is now used as a utility truck for Crawford. I guess the Ford F brush leaves a good excuse for another visit to Crawford next year.

That wraps up the profiles for Moyock and Crawford Twp. and tonights posts. Next stop is Knotts Island (which takes a bit of travel planning to get there) and Lower Currituck FD (which includes two brand new pumpers, two pumpers recently purchased used, some other unique apparatus, and a new station).

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA