Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boston Fire Department
Read that KME got it; also a high pressure pumper

Quote:Read that KME got it; also a high pressure pumper
Right but it was also said that someone else got it the first time who 'wasn't suppose to get it.'
[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
The Rescue has been put out to bid and cancelled a few times for "various reasons". To my knowledge, it was put out to bid and won by KME. It will be similar to an FDNY type rescue with a 2 man cab and a walk in, dual rear axle box for the rest of the crew. And you are correct, they also have a dual stage high pressure pumper (told it will also be a rescue pumper but could be wrong) on order from KME for E10

<p class="bbc_center">Kevin White

Fireground Photographer

www.KDWFirePhotos.com
Not sure if anyone saw this or knows anything about it. SVI is building some type of vehicle for them, not sure what.

http://www.svitrucks.com/production-updates/
Quote:Not sure if anyone saw this or knows anything about it. SVI is building some type of vehicle for them, not sure what.

Maybe the new vehicle for the Boston Sparks????
I believe the Boston Sparks was by EVI.  I could be wrong.

Stephen Taylor

Retired Volunteer Firefighter
Retired Career Fire Dispatcher
Yarmouth Fire Department
Yarmouth, N.S. Canada
Any news on the new rescue
Quote:Not sure if anyone saw this or knows anything about it. SVI is building some type of vehicle for them, not sure what.

I believe this is the new Sparks canteen.  EVI built a vehicle for the Motor Squad
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
While in Florida at EVI's plant inspecting the new hazmat for Ottawa, found the new canteen for the Boston Sparks under construction.  Best photos I could get.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The other side.

And the tail end.

Also at EVI is a new light hazmat vehicle for Boston Fire that is being equipped with a ramp for a robot.  Based on a 2 door Ford F550.

Boston have 4 E\-One metro on order

The new bid for another 4 new ladder is to replace 07-08 front line E\-One or to replace the 4 KME?

Nothing about new pumper soon?
Four E\-One Metro Rearmount Aerials were ordered late in 2015, we are awaiting delivery of them now. I believe that they well replace the 2004 Pierce Dash Aerials currently in service with Ladders 7, 11, 19 & 21. Money has been allocated (by cutting the next Academy class, scheduled to start on 2/25, in half from 50 to 25) to purchase an additional 4 Metros. They will be assigned to Ladders 25, 17, 18 & 29 to replace the 1998 E\-One of L25 (nothing else fits into their house) & the 2014 KME's as the Department would like to completely rid the fleet of KME's as quickly as possible. Engine 10 is scheduled to receive a 2015 KME dual stage HP pumper capable of pumping 2000gpm at some point soon. After that we will no longer be ordering any more KME's from what we've been told.

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.
Boston's situation is unprecedented, sort of, it seems. They must be taking a loss with the KME's with depreciation and not trying to get the entire life span out of them, so there has to be serious issues. Beyond mechanical and other similar issues, are there operation issues as well, such as operation of the aerial, jacks, pumps, etc?

Also, was it a different administration that bought the Pierces and KME's? And what was the reasoning behind straying from E\-One at the time?

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
So what are they going to do with the KME ladders??

I don't want to throw around the term "shady" but lets just say there were hands in cookie jars of particular companies by a few people at the top over the years. Love em or hate em, single or dual axle trucks, E\-One's just flat out work for Boston. Always have, always will. No other manufacturer can even come CLOSE to touching them as far as workability in concerned. City wasted MILLIONS of dollars on trucks the past few years that just wont cut it and now they're paying for it

Fireground Photographer

www.KDWFirePhotos.com
Some pretty serious accusations, what ladder company do you work on in Boston Kevin?
I don't but the most recent incident was all over the news within the last month. Wont let me link the story but a District Chief working in procurement was just found guilty of FIVE counts of procurement fraud AND FIVE charges of larceny over $250 totaling $50K. Now this may or may not involve apparatus manufacturers but I don't know 100%. These types of incidents happen all the time (not within BFD but in general). I'm sure the guy meant well and isn't a bad guy, but it happened and its documented publicly.

And as far as KME is concerned, based on what's been said publicly, its pretty easy to assume that millions of dollars have been wasted. But that happens too. Sometimes a change is necessary and it doesn't always work out.

Fireground Photographer

www.KDWFirePhotos.com
Quote:I don't want to throw around the term "shady" but lets just say there were hands in cookie jars of particular companies by a few people at the top over the years. Love em or hate em, single or dual axle trucks, E-One's just flat out work for Boston. Always have, always will. No other manufacturer can even come CLOSE to touching them as far as workability in concerned. City wasted MILLIONS of dollars on trucks the past few years that just wont cut it and now they're paying for it

Ok ill bite if they are all built to the same spec why would one mfg work better than another. I under stand sometimes dealers can make or break a brand but a relation ship with the dealer is made on both sides. If you say I hate brand X you will always hate brand X because you wont give them a chance and they will always fail.