Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boston Fire Department
Quote:The KME's spend more time in the shop than they do in the field, at least that's the feeling, not completely unfounded. I have a friend that is a Captain of a company that has a KME & he stated that without question it is the worst piece he's ever worked on (for the record he's worked on Seagraves, E-One's, Pierces & KME's). The previous administration tried to fit a square peg into a round hole, plain & simple. E-One aerials have worked out great for us since we purchased our first one in 1984 (over the years we've purchased at least 45 of them) and we never should've gone away from them. Their jacking system seems like it was made specifically for us, as does the new Metro. We'll see how it works out, but the guys I've spoken to are happy to be going back to E-Ones.

I had a tour of the E\-One plant yesterday morning.  They were wiring the Cabs of at least 3 of the Metros and I got to see the frames.  They looked well constructed and you could sense the pride the guys had about getting ladders back in Boston.  I look forward to hearing what you all think of them when you get them in service.  
Rescue 1's 2015 KME went into service Thursday night. I got to see it all day yesterday as I was Acting Lieutenant on E10 for the 24. It hasn't had to go into the shop yet. :-)

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.
Well as surprised as I was to hear your tear down of the engines after I heard from a few they were pumping and working well .. I guesse we shall stand bye... I'm sure someone will shit on every weld made on that piece..
Is there a truck on the planet a dept is comfortable with after spending a shit ton... I swear when you read things not one dept is happy with a purchase anymore. All do respect to buff assessment.
I have been in the fire service now for over 30 years and one thing I have learned is that our business has a lot of complainers warranted or not. I usually take these things with a grain of salt but I have heard of some departments in South Carolina having issues with their new KME's also so I don't discard the complaints either. But also Los Angeles county has been running all KME's for decades and I haven't heard of them having too many issues. So its just one of those things. all I can say is nobody builds a perfect truck or car for that matter anymore.

I would say that until I drove 2 KMEs that had a lot of problems. 

It's a combination of 2 things.

It's all in the spec, If you don't specify something it is left up to the manufacturer's imagination which could be fine but will more then likely but you in the ass.

On the other hand if you spec something dumb and they build it that on you.

I could go on but I think this topic is more about Boston Fire Apparatus then problems with KME apparatus.

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Quote:I have been in the fire service now for over 30 years and one thing I have learned is that our business has a lot of complainers warranted or not. I usually take these things with a grain of salt but I have heard of some departments in South Carolina having issues with their new KME's also so I don't discard the complaints either. But also Los Angeles county has been running all KME's for decades and I haven't heard of them having too many issues. So its just one of those things. all I can say is nobody builds a perfect truck or car for that matter anymore.
I wondered about that too, but I was told a while back that LA doesnt multiplex their apparatus (that is, its old school wiring that doesnt need a computer to fix it) If thats the case, I can understand why they would have fewer issues. Perhaps one of our west friends could enlighten us if this is true.....
Quote: 

Correct. Either a Lieutenant or a Captain & either 3 or 4 firefighters.
Thanks for the info. Our staffing is 1/4 on trucks and the 3 rescues and 1/3 on the wagons.
Chad

Deputy Fire Chief
Clinton Volunteer Fire Department
www.clintonvfd.org

Washington DC Fire Department
FireFighter Truck Co. 15
Still have KME engines that our 20years old still in front line service.Newest ones are 3yrs old very little down time.

Quote: 

I had a tour of the E-One plant yesterday morning.  They were wiring the Cabs of at least 3 of the Metros and I got to see the frames.  They looked well constructed and you could sense the pride the guys had about getting ladders back in Boston.  I look forward to hearing what you all think of them when you get them in service.  

I was told yesterday that we're expecting the first 4 Metros to be delivered by the end of May & are hoping for the next 4 by the end of the year. Ladder 15 IS getting one of the first four (I was Acting Lieutenant on E33 last Saturday), I assume their current E\-One will be refurbished (it's already in pretty good shape, it's only a 2010) and reassigned.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
It was announced yesterday that we're looking to file suit against Navistar International, maker of the MaxxForce Diesel Engine, due to the massive problems we've had with them. It also says that there are many other pending suits, both individual & class action, against the company.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_c..._of_engine

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
Really sucks to have made such strides with fleet age only to have to start over again

Thank goodness the dept has a leader and a mayor who are actively trying to fix it the right way.
Is that the engine they chose the KME's?
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
I was on the E\-One site today checking out the new Metros. They're Coming along.......
Quote:I was on the E-One site today checking out the new Metros. They're Coming along.......
Where? could you pass the link along?
Quote:Where? could you pass the link along?

I think there were some pics on E\-One's FB page
Quote:I think there were some pics on E-One's FB page

www.e-oneinprocess.com. Click Ladders, then click to the last page.
Rob Leahy Jr.

Captain/EMT

Vice President

Westville Fire Department

Westville New Jersey

Gloucester County
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.e-oneinprocess.com/index.php/AERIALS-01/140058">http://www.e-oneinprocess.com/index.php/AERIALS-01/140058</a>

This one is farthest along.
The first 4 Metros are scheduled to be delivered sometime in April. They will be assigned to Ladders 7, 11, 19 & 21. They will replace the 4 2004 Pierce Dash 100' rearmounts in service. The remaining 4 are scheduled to be delivered by the end of the year. They will be assigned to Ladder 25, with the remaining 3 TBD.

Engine 5 & District 1 will be moving to the quarters of E9/L2 this summer for approximately 6 months to accommodate repairs to the apparatus floor.

New 35' fireboat has been delivered. It will go into service after the members of the Marine Unit have been trained in its use. The John S. Damrell has been relocated to Rowes Wharf while a new dock is constructed at Battery Wharf. Once the new boat goes into service the Damrell will be OOS for approximately 1 month for an overhaul.

Starting in the '16-17 Fiscal Year, firehouses will be closed & companies relocated for 2 week periods in order for each house to be industrially cleaned from top to bottom. This will be done on a rotating basis.

A lease/purchase program is being pursued with E\-One and/or Pierce. Possibly E\-One for the aerials & Pierce for the pumpers

New firehouses still in the pipeline for E17/L7/D7 & E42/R2/D9. Also a new firehouse in the Seaport District is very likely.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
First Boston E\-One Metro lettered for L-25:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=3&theater