Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boston Fire Department
Absolute throwback. What a great looking truck. Hopefully these work out as well as the older ones did. Between the jack spread, it's wheelbase, and overall ht this looks to be a great move to market a true truck that fits inner city needs.
Hope these pieces work out. Has jersey city had good luck with theirs?
Good looking truck for sure.

Thanks for sharing 

2 nice photos of L-7 & L-25 posted on massfiretrucks.com.
Quote:2 nice photos of L-7 & L-25 posted on massfiretrucks.com.
Great pics of the new ladder apparatus for Boston.  I always remember seeing a "forest" of ground ladders from pictures of Boston fire grounds and looking at the ground ladder complement on the new ladder trucks, when did open truss beams for ground ladders come back in fashion?
Quote:Great pics of the new ladder apparatus for Boston.  I always remember seeing a "forest" of ground ladders from pictures of Boston fire grounds and looking at the ground ladder complement on the new ladder trucks, when did open truss beams for ground ladders come back in fashion?

I've been on in Boston since 2002 & all I've seen us carry in that time is open truss ground ladders. Heavier, but sturdier, at least IMO.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.
Updates since March:

4 New E\-One Metros will be going into service in the next couple of weeks. They have been assigned to Ladders 7, 11, 19 & 25. Next 4 are scheduled for delivery in August.

Marine Unit 2, the "Father Dan" named after BFD Chaplain Father Daniel Mahoney, is officially in service. It's a 32' aluminum catamaran.

Plans are being drawn up to purchase 24 new pumpers to replace all the KME & Pierces still in service. The KME's will be sold to a wholesaler, unknown as to the disposition of the Pierces. The leading contenders to replace them are E\-One or Pierce.

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
Skip, what is the status of the KME HP Pumper that was supposed to replace Engine 10?  

Saw somewhere that boston was ordering a hazmat response truck. 

As of last week, they've also ordered an additional, or 9th E\-One Metro as an add on. They must have gotten an expedited order for the next 4 as they are already on the line being built

<p class="bbc_center">Kevin White

Fireground Photographer

www.KDWFirePhotos.com
Quote:Skip, what is the status of the KME HP Pumper that was supposed to replace Engine 10?  

We have refused to accept delivery of it. Last I knew it was still sitting at the dealership.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
Also, I learned today that a new firehouse for the Seaport District is 100% going ahead. Plans are being drawn up as we speak, it will be paid for for one of the developers building in that area. We're trying for a 3 bay house with facilities for the Marine Unit, but we're very early in the process & it's unknown what will actually be built.

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
Skip

Will this be a new company, like re-institution of E-1 or will another company like E-3 be relocated there?  Seems like a good place for a fire house.

Thanks

Skip, Does the sale of KME's to a wholesaler include the ladders too? And what will come of R1's new KME and TL10's relatively new KME?

<p class="bbc_center">Kevin White

Fireground Photographer

www.KDWFirePhotos.com
The KME Aerials with the "bad" engines (Ladders 17, 18 & 29) will be wholesaled. By the end of next year all the KME aerials & pumpers should be gone from the fleet. We are looking at new TL's for both TL10 & TL3. Haven't heard anything regarding R1.

The new firehouse will either house a reactivated Engine Company (E1, E15 or E38) OR Engine 3 (most likely candidate) will be relocated to the new house. The house will be constructed into the building ala Big House.

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
If the issue with the KME's is the engines, as opposed to the rest of the KME vehicle, why not just repower them with new engines?  Expensive sure,but cheaper than replacing so many relatively new vehicles.

Quote:If the issue with the KME's is the engines, as opposed to the rest of the KME vehicle, why not just repower them with new engines?  Expensive sure,but cheaper than replacing so many relatively new vehicles.

I agree if the issue is with the engines (i know several departments having issues with the new navistar motors not sure about the cummins) but unless you go with Pierce who offers Detroit you only have 2 choices of engines anyway, so you stand the chance on having the same issues. I can believe that as new as some of those KME's are the engines are still not under warranty. But I agree I would just try to repower them seems like a much cheaper option
I'm not aware of all the details surrounding the KME's, but my guess is the fact that we are one of the plaintiffs in the class action lawsuit against KME has something to do with it. Our new pumpers will almost certainly be either Pierce or E\-One so that should be the end of the engine issues. I spent some time last week going every inch of one of our new Metros & I can't say enough good things about it! I think it's perfect for our needs going forward.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/12180693/o...nufacturer

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
The article states that they are suing Navistar International.
True, but I'm fairly certain that pending litigation would preclude us taking the engines out of the apparatus & replacing them with different engines. Either way, we're almost totally ridding our fleet of KME's, much to the vast majority of field personnel's relief.

FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory: