Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boston Fire Department
Quote:Boy there sure are a lot of armchair chiefs on here in the debate of what they think Boston should be doing... Gentleman the issue is Boston Fire's issue and only there's... They know what the problem is and are fixing the problem with what is in there departments best interest... No reason to start flaming them on there decision ...  

Sorry I thought discussion was the whole point. So let me get this straight out of all the fire trucks sold with the engines with issues they all went to Boston?

Quote: 

Sorry I thought discussion was the whole point. So let me get this straight out of all the fire trucks sold with the engines with issues they all went to Boston?
As I understand it, Boston joined several other cities in the suit.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Quote: 

I have no problem with the back & forth personally and I actually work here.

Many, MANY other cities, have had issues with the Maxxforce engines, here are some links:

http://www.maxxforceengineproblems.com/t...p-lawsuits

http://www.overdriveonline.com/class-act...e-engines/

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-sett...ne-defect/

http://www.landlinemag.com/Story.aspx?St...2_lphJcqSo

http://www.ccjdigital.com/another-lawsui...de-public/
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.
International/Navistar has been a big name in trucks for generations, and have always been popular.  These Maxxforce engines seem to be a rare mis-step on their part.  Have they corrected the problem or replaced this engine line with a new one, or are customers who want an International forced to accept this engine?  Obviously the apparatus manufacturers can offer an engine from another company.

Quote:International/Navistar has been a big name in trucks for generations, and have always been popular.  These Maxxforce engines seem to be a rare mis-step on their part.  Have they corrected the problem or replaced this engine line with a new one, or are customers who want an International forced to accept this engine?  Obviously the apparatus manufacturers can offer an engine from another company.

They have discontinued offering EGR completely. They were the only company to offer it, everyone else used SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) to meet the EPA emissions standards. Navistar now uses it as well. The lawsuits allege that not only were the engines with EGR defective, but that the company both knew about it & actively worked to conceal that fact. I don't know for certain about our particular case, but I believe we were told that we had to use this engine in our KME apparatus, which is why we're both party to the suits and trying to rid the fleet of those pieces. Not all of our KME's have the Navistar with EGR engines. For example, Ladders 17, 18 & 29 do but 10 & 16 do not; which is why, as far as I know, we plan on keeping the latter 2 & jettisoning the former 3.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
Would love it if we got get back to our regularly scheduled broadcast and see some photos. Can this be moved to apparatus or department talk section?
Quote:Would love it if we got get back to our regularly scheduled broadcast and see some photos. Can this be moved to apparatus or department talk section?

Blink
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Now back to the photos!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

From Eone in process, here is the next round of Boston Metros. They went with Whelen lighting this time, back to painted rims and painted the rollup on the cab......

Anyone know the rationale for the changes? (I can guess the painted rollup on the cab looks better than the last round....the crest on the red in that area looked a little "off")

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Cab doors are different also.

Any word on how things have been the last few months in Boston with all these apparatus orders and deliveries? Looks like there's been a lot going on.
The new trucks are great! Much roomier than I expected & they drive like a car! Haven't heard any complaints yet & they've been staying out of the shop for the most part.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
From E\-One's website...prototype is done, with five more in production.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like the prototype has been delivered

http://www.greenwoodev.com/boston-ma-e-o...om-pumper/
Whatever happened to last KME pumper that was delivered. I believe it was for E10 a high pressure pumper.

Last I knew it was still sitting at the dealer and that Boston was not accepting delivery of it, but have heard rumor that Boston has or maybe forced to accept it and will put it at a outlying or slow location.  I can't confirm any of this but its what I've heard from the latest rumor mill productions. 

They were "forced" to take ownership/delivery per advise from the city lawyers. To my knowledge, its sitting down at Greenwood Fire Apparatus (E\-One Dealer) in North Attleboro and will likely never see a day of service in the city.

As for the new E\-One engines, from what I'm told, and Sean can elaborate more, the guys LOVE them. They are trickling in a few at a time, with 9 delivered so far and the remaining 14 by the end of September. They also have 9 more E\-One Metro's ordered for delivery next year and planning to order a new tower for TL3 after January 1st (no word on the specs for that at this moment)

<p class="bbc_center">Kevin White

Fireground Photographer

www.KDWFirePhotos.com
Any word on if the KME's will be fixed properly and sold?

Quote:Any word on if the KME's will be fixed properly and sold?

If they're to be "fixed", it won't be by us. Once the settlement is reached they will all be disposed of. The new E\-One Typhoon pumpers are great! These are already in service:

Engines 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 16, 17, 18, 33, 41, 52 & 53.

The following companies will be receiving theirs soon:

Engines 14, 37 & 39.

I don't yet know where the remaining 7 will be assigned. The Pierce engines assigned to Engines 32 & 48 have been condemned due to frame rot & are up for auction. My guess is those two cos will most likely get refurbed E\-One pumps (E10, E39 etc).

Engine 22 will be assigned the final KME pumper; a dual stage 2000gpm HP pumper.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
Skip is 21s piece due for replacement. Haven't seen them mentioned.