Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Crusaders
This past June a lifelong dream of mine was realized when I drove home a 1968 Young Crusader from the Kenilworth Fire District in Tonawanda, NY. Having loved the look of the Crusader (a look that you either love or hate) since seeing Ardsley, NY's in the early 80's at a parade I knew at age 5 I would eventually own one (product of a mis-spent youth). Growing up ( or so they called it ) and becoming more educated about fire apparatus I found myself even more enthralled by the design nuances of the Crusader- the things incorporated into a design that was truly built for a firefighter in mind. The rest is history, and shop number 68-243 is proudly owned and maintained by me (with a little help from my cadre of mechanic friends). 

Life stories aside, years before I purchased my engine, I had run into a good friend and apparatus historian and happened to mention the fact that I loved the rigs- a week later he showed up while I was on shift with a manilla envelope that I had since forgotten about. A few weeks back while rifleing through some paperwork I found it- 'ya know that feeling when you find a twenty in a pair of old jeans? I found 13 of 'em.

We'll start it out with the obvious-

Harrison, NY

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

North Greece, NY

West Islip, NY - Vanguard Engine - One of two, and one of five ever produced with the "Kenilworth style" rescue pumper bodies- I wonder who was the first!?!

Westhampton, NY - Who wouldn't want that on the side of their rig! It was repainted shortly after delivery to a half white front. Whoops!

Montville, NJ

Ardsley, NY - The one that started it all for me - was sold to Monserrat (an island with better weather than us) and was seen in news footage during a volcanic eruption that decimated the entire southern end of the island (forget that last statement, I'll keep the snow)- sure hope she lives!

Marlton, NJ - Currently owned by a Department 10 miles away from where I sit... still in first line service!

New Hyde Park, NY - Damn classy in white.

Kempsville Volunteers - Virginia Beach, VA - another classy white with gold leaf. I may be mistaken, but I believe this was the first engine ever produced. It WAS red- then painted white. After she served Kempsville I believe she went out west- where she was painted lime at some point..   ....   ... but is now back to a private collector in VA to receive a makeover. Correct me if I'm wrong..

And now for some snorkels- this one from West Ridge Hose Co.

West Babylon, NY

Tallman, NY

Aaaaand a Crusader II from Wayne Township - after all, it is a topic on Young Crusaders! I'm spent - keep it going!

Quote:Westhampton, NY - Who wouldn't want that on the side of their rig! It was repainted shortly after delivery to a half white front. Whoops!
Danby-Mt. Tabor VT had a young crusader that came from LI, think it may have been this one, was last seen at least a few years ago rotting in a field.  
The Kenilworth rig while in service in Tonawanda, NY.

The Villages Department of Public Safety

The Villages, Florida
Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs

Aaaaand a Crusader II from Wayne Township - after all, it is a topic on Young Crusaders! I'm spent - keep it going![/quote]

Actually Wayne Township had 6 young engines.

Engine 1 was Pearl White, Engines 2 and 10 were Fluorescent Yellow, Engine 21 was John Deere Green, Engine 4 and 9 were Fluorescent Red (looked Orange)

Engine 2 was totaled on the way to an alarm call.
X-Wayne Twp.,IND. 1990 Young Crusader II 1500/1000/60  #90N968

still at Cumberland Valley VFD, Bedford Co.,PA.

2010 image by WW Jenkins

Quote:Aaaaand a Crusader II from Wayne Township - after all, it is a topic on Young Crusaders! I'm spent - keep it going!

Actually Wayne Township had 6 young engines.

Engine 1 was Pearl White, Engines 2 and 10 were Fluorescent Yellow, Engine 21 was John Deere Green, Engine 4 and 9 were Fluorescent Red (looked Orange)

Engine 2 was totaled on the way to an alarm call.

[/quote]

On Tuesday may 23 1995 Engine 2 was totaled in an accident. It was a LODD 1 firefighter killed and the another was paralyzed. I believe they blew a tire on the way to a fire alarm (which turned out false) on interstate 465 and it rolled over.