Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FDNY Orders 12 More Ferrara Ladders
Quote:Holden, LA –FDNY has awarded Ferrara Fire Apparatus, America’s premier custom heavy duty fire apparatus manufacturer, a contract to build an additional twelve 100’ aerial ladders. The FDNY 100’ aerial ladders are built on the Ferrara Ultra custom chassis with a 3CR12 stainless steel split cab and feature a heavy duty stainless steel body, a quick 4-section 100’ rear mount ladder, and an 8kW hydraulic generator.

Company President/CEO Chris Ferrara stated, “It has and always will be an honor to be chosen by FDNY to supply such a critical product to protect the citizens of the City of New York”. Upon completion of the project, FDNY will have a total of seventy one Ferrara 100’ aerial ladders operating in the City of New York.

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Lowest bidder or do they actually like them?

There are a few Ferrara apparatus in my area and i haven't heard anything bad about them. Although, they arn't running in NY.

Thanks for sharing in the INFO. 

Quote:Lowest bidder or do they actually like them?

There are a few Ferrara apparatus in my area and i haven't heard anything bad about them. Although, they arn't running in NY.

Thanks for sharing in the INFO. 
They are probably an add on order to the existing rearmount ladder contract.  I'm under the impression that FDNY apparatus bidding includes provisions to purchase additional apparatus beyond what the bid contract originally calls for and they routinely exercise that option rather than fully re-bidding for additional units. 

From what I've read on another forum in posts by some FDNY guys, the city might like the price, but the guys using them aren't very fond of them.  I know they've had a few that were so bad that some companies are already on their 2nd brand new Ferrara.
Quote:They are probably an add on order to the existing rearmount ladder contract.  I'm under the impression that FDNY apparatus bidding includes provisions to purchase additional apparatus beyond what the bid contract originally calls for and they routinely exercise that option rather than fully re-bidding for additional units. 

From what I've read on another forum in posts by some FDNY guys, the city might like the price, but the guys using them aren't very fond of them.  I know they've had a few that were so bad that some companies are already on their 2nd brand new Ferrara.

Thank you for the information. 
Quote:They are probably an add on order to the existing rearmount ladder contract.  I'm under the impression that FDNY apparatus bidding includes provisions to purchase additional apparatus beyond what the bid contract originally calls for and they routinely exercise that option rather than fully re-bidding for additional units. 

Were those rigs "Lemon Lawed"? I have read that a few were that is why I am asking.

Dave
Quote: 

Were those rigs "Lemon Lawed"? I have read that a few were that is why I am asking.
I've heard something similar, but I'm not sure what their fate was off hand.
Lowest bidder and they suck
[color="#FF0000"]R.I.P Sammy Oitice FDNY 4 Truck 9-11-01[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]R.I.P Kevin Apuzzio East Franklin FD 4-11-06[/color]

NEVER FORGET 343

[size="4"]FDNY Hockey[/size]
My old department received a platform about 7 to 8 months ago and the mechanics say it is the biggest $900,000 piece of shit they have ever had
what does FDNY like?

We like rigs that don't fall apart on us. Rigs that we can have confidence in that will get us there and operate with few or no problems. Right now it's very hard to have confidence in these rigs when they are so problematic.
[color="#FF0000"]R.I.P Sammy Oitice FDNY 4 Truck 9-11-01[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]R.I.P Kevin Apuzzio East Franklin FD 4-11-06[/color]

NEVER FORGET 343

[size="4"]FDNY Hockey[/size]
Quote:what does FDNY like?
I was wondering the same thing!
please visit my website at www.karlsfirephotos.smugmug.com
Quote:We like rigs that don't fall apart on us. Rigs that we can have confidence in that will get us there and operate with few or no problems. Right now it's very hard to have confidence in these rigs when they are so problematic.

What brand would you prefer?
Valid question. The front ends are falling out from under Pierce's.  Spartan ERV can't deliver a rig under 18 months.  Don't go up in a Sutphen SPH100.  Rosenbauer's are going back to the factory.  E\-One's are "aluminum cans."  Ferrara's suck.  And Seagrave's rust.  So, who can we get to build us a good rig?  Lol. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY
Mack lol

Quote: Don't go up in a Sutphen SPH100.

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY
I can understand the concern after this summer...but that statement is very ill informed. Sutphen has spent millions to test and have statistical data on these trucks along with some additional engineering to ensure that their aerials are the safest and strongest on the market.

I can tell you this, I would have NO problems taking my wife and 2 young daughters up in ANY Sutphen aerial!!
Quote:I can understand the concern after this summer...but that statement is very ill informed. Sutphen has spent millions to test and have statistical data on these trucks along with some additional engineering to ensure that their aerials are the safest and strongest on the market.

I can tell you this, I would have NO problems taking my wife and 2 young daughters up in ANY Sutphen aerial!!

Tell that to my taxpayers that haven't had a (less than five year old million dollar) tower ladder since MAY. I can't take anyone up in this Sutphen aerial because the "retrofit" got pushed back...again.

*Comments are mine only and do not reflect the official standpoint of any fire department I am part of. Just a frustrated fireman.
Quote: 

Tell that to my taxpayers that haven't had a (less than five year old million dollar) tower ladder since MAY. I can't take anyone up in this Sutphen aerial because the "retrofit" got pushed back...again.

*Comments are mine only and do not reflect the official standpoint of any fire department I am part of. Just a frustrated fireman.
Why was it out of service since May?

My department has 4, 2 were returned last week, other 2 getting fitted now.

Dealers are slammed with this retro...figure about 30 hours per truck and I don't think dealers are staffed for it along with normal day to day stuff.

All in all...I think this is going to make Sutphen better in the long term as far as product. Instruments and testing was developed out of this that we can have measurable data on all of our products that nobody has ever had before.

With that said...it does suck for all end users.
Quote:Why was it out of service since May?

Went out for paint issues. About 1.5 square feet of rust on a four year old truck that isn't the busiest...Probably an afternoon at an auto body shop. After 4 months of the dealer leaving it parked outside to get worse, they were able to get a coat of non matching paint on the doors. Before we even got it back, the recall went out. Member sentiment is less than stellar towards that machine.
Shannon,

That wasn't my opinion...just repeating what you see from all the message boards.  At some point, somebody has trashed every manufacturer, so it seems like no manufacturer is good enough for anyone.  As for my own opinion, there has been only one manufacturer that I wouldn't give the time of day...and they just closed their doors...again.  Lol. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY
Quote:Shannon,

That wasn't my opinion...just repeating what you see from all the message boards.  At some point, somebody has trashed every manufacturer, so it seems like no manufacturer is good enough for anyone.  As for my own opinion, there has been only one manufacturer that I wouldn't give the time of day...and they just closed their doors...again.  Lol. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY
No problem.

It was a terrible incident, and it'll take a long time for people to get over the opinion that Sutphen's aren't safe...and some never will believe otherwise.

I've been a fan of Sutphen apparatus for over 2 decades. I hope that people will once again give them a chance and let the results speak for themselves.