Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seven Pierce Aerial Tiller Apparatus Purchased By Los Angeles City Fire Department
Quote:APPLETON, Wis. (November 18, 2014) Pierce Manufacturing Inc., an Oshkosh Corporation (NYSE:OSK) company, has sold seven Pierce® Arrow XT 100-foot heavy-duty aerial tiller apparatus to the Los Angeles City Fire Department (LAFD) in California. These seven apparatus comprise the initial installment of an ongoing 10-year tag on contract.
Full press release: http://www.piercemfg.com/en/pierce/news/LA-Tillers.aspx
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
AWESOME news!!!  They need them. Now, if they can fast track them!   Luxhello  Luxhello

Wow! 70 over ten years should replace all their frontline and reserve units! Not bad having 9-10 year old reserves. Glad to see them get the funding required! I wonder how many add on units they will get? I know the County KME engine contract has been used alot.

does anyone know the cost of these rigs? (or how to find it?)

The basic rig is $935,973. Then add (these are rounded) in the various brackets they requested $2300, ladder pipe assembly $3,800, wooden ground ladders $49,000, training video, solar panels, cab stand $3300, there is a contingency fund of $28,000 included and the grand total is $ 1,002,129.20 per unit for a 4 truck purchase total of $4,008,516.98. Now all of this was the bid price so they may or may not have negotiated this down. There is also options for the warranty and work that can lower the per unit price some ($12,000 or $53,000) and a repair & replacement part option ($28,000) as well.

thank you!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lafd/album...0766907970

Some early photos of LAFD's Pierce Tillers.
Alot of new designs/changes for Pierce and LAFD. I don't know if I like the aerial setting up so high in front of the tillerman.

its goin to be hard seeing out of the tiller front window and those steps goin up to the tiller cage are really small

Cool looking rig I really like the black ladder too bad they are not being produced by the team from Clintonville, but you can't win them all.

I would hate to climb into that tiller cab, unless the steps on the opposite side are wider.  Looks like I see part of a grab rail on the other

side which would suggest a wider ladder for access to the tiller cab. 

I will join the chorus on not liking the ladder blocking so much of the view.  Not even if cameras were added with screens in the tiller cab.

One question I've always heard the argument about painted ladders being too hard to inspect, so any truth to that?  I really think the black

or is it dark gray ladder is very cool.

Kris
It also looks like the ground ladders on the right side are blocking the step to the tiller cab.  Unless there is a better picture to show how to climb over the ladders to get in.

Stephen Taylor

Retired Volunteer Firefighter
Retired Career Fire Dispatcher
Yarmouth Fire Department
Yarmouth, N.S. Canada
That is how they are designed. If you look at their other tillers they are a similar design, it looks like you use the ladder as a step. Not sure why but they are very specific in their designs. I wish we had known it was there when we did our pre-construction earlier this month. I would have liked to see the differences versus the normal Pierce design. Hopefully we will see one when we do our final on the engines or the tiller.

I can't disagree with the previous comments, but I am also not at all a fan of the tail of the trailers. I dislike any truck or tiller trailer, etc. that has that sloped upward look to it. Now, that being said, I can't imagine any situation where I'll ever be working off of one of these trucks, or probably even see them in person for that matter, so I have limited room for discussion; if it works for them and what they want, by all means... anyhow, looks as if the tip of the ladder rests further into the ladder itself than most Pierce Aerials too.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Keep in mind LA has the largest elevation change of any major city in the U.S. The lowest point in the city is sea level, while the highest is over 5000 feet up. The hills necessitate rigs with high angles of approach and departure, part of which is accomplished by the slope on the rear of the trailer.

Also there's steps up to the tiller cab on both sides. They're semi hidden, are diamond plate, and if you look closely you'll see them. Not super ergonomic, but they've done it that way forever.
When I first looked at the pictures I had some of the same questions. If you look close it looks like the aerial is raised slightly out of the cradle, may come down another few inches, still a lot of ladder in front of you. Not sure still about the color, but hey if that's what they want the great. At least it still has the wood!
I know that our guys far and away prefer the Seagrave tiller cab over the other manufacturers.  And we've been running TDAs since motorization.  Two suburban departments just ordered TDA's, a Pierce and a Smeal. It will be interesting to see how they both compare to Seagrave, especially the Smeal.   

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY
Who ordered the tillers? I only thought St. Mathews had a tiller outside the city. We looked really close at the LTC version of Smeal before deciding on Pierce. Pierce was a bit lower on price and has the best dealer support in the area.

Quote:I know that our guys far and away prefer the Seagrave tiller cab over the other manufacturers.  And we've been running TDAs since motorization.  Two suburban departments just ordered TDA's, a Pierce and a Smeal. It will be interesting to see how they both compare to Seagrave, especially the Smeal.   

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY

This will be only the second Smeal tiller I know of to be ordered so far. I see that Ferrara is about to take their first tiller endeavor as well.

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Jeffersontown ordered a Pierce Enforcer 100' TDA (the 4th to my knowledge, behind JAX and yours) and Worthington ordered the Smeal. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY

Quote:This will be only the second Smeal tiller I know of to be ordered so far. I see that Ferrara is about to take their first tiller endeavor as well.

Trav!
Ferrara is using Smeal's (LTC) aerial and body.