Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Champaign, IL Engine 151
Champaign, IL Engine 151

2013 Rosenbauer Commander 1500 GPM/ 500 gal.

1 or 3 delivered in November 2013

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Side

Rear

It is interesting to see that some of the larger departments in Central Illinois are moving away from Pierce. Springfield recently took delivery of a KME quint and several squads from Alexis. Bloomington has taken delivery of two E\-One aerials within the past year. Champaign has these three Rosenbauer engines and Pekin just took delivery of a quint from Alexis. All of these departments have been loyal Pierce customers for the last several years.
About 6 years ago, Rosenbauer was underbidding several departments in the St. Louis metro area, including where I work. We still went with Pierce, but the Rosenbauer (Central) pumper that was bid was $50,000 cheaper than Pierce. E\-One was $100,000 more than Rosenbauer.

In January Champaign executed an option for 2 additional Rosenbauer Commanders for $1,012,338. These are on the same final spec (with change orders) and seem to be going to Engine's 152 and 153. They should be in around November or December.

Very nice rigs, are these General or Central?

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Quote:About 6 years ago, Rosenbauer was underbidding several departments in the St. Louis metro area, including where I work. We still went with Pierce, but the Rosenbauer (Central) pumper that was bid was $50,000 cheaper than Pierce. E-One was $100,000 more than Rosenbauer.
My dept in NY put bid out in 2000 for a new pumper and Central(Rosenbauer)  got the bid...as they did  in 2003 and 2012..... and believe you get what you paid for.  After working on these trucks I found them to be CHEAP!  Seem to be 4 times a month i was putting them OOS for repairs...and the trucks hardly moved off the floor

Is it me or is the lettering below the windshield a bit off center?

The lettering is center to the wiper blades and not the chassis.

Stephen Taylor

Retired Volunteer Firefighter
Retired Career Fire Dispatcher
Yarmouth Fire Department
Yarmouth, N.S. Canada
Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Quote:My dept in NY put bid out in 2000 for a new pumper and Central(Rosenbauer)  got the bid...as they did  in 2003 and 2012..... and believe you get what you paid for.  After working on these trucks I found them to be CHEAP!  Seem to be 4 times a month i was putting them OOS for repairs...and the trucks hardly moved off the floor
Low bid does not mean best bid! 

The St. Louis area Rosenbauer dealership at the time (6 years ago) was so anxious to get their rigs out there that they were underbidding all departments and districts purchasing new rigs.

There are a few of these Rosenbauer Commander pumpers being built for two different fire districts in northern St. Louis County who currently run E-Ones. I'm anxious to see how they hold up. There is also a Rosenbauer Commander rescue pumper on the roster of a western St. Louis county fire district, but I have not heard if they've had any problems with it.

Looking at the Commander cabs at FDIC over the past two years, I just wasn't impressed with them. Seemed to be cheaply built, compared to other manufactuers.

ALSO: Any idea why Champaign F.D. went with different numbers on their rigs? The pumpers used to be 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16, and the ladders were 151 (I think?) and 161.

Quote:In January Champaign executed an option for 2 additional Rosenbauer Commanders for $1,012,338. These are on the same final spec (with change orders) and seem to be going to Engine's 152 and 153. They should be in around November or December.
Can you explain the three letter number scheme on the Champaign rigs?

I assume that the first number is the department identifier, the second number the apparatus type and the last number the station?

Is Champaign still running three truck companies and the heavy rescue?

Does Champaign still run a tele-squrt?

Thanks in advance.
These are South Dakota (Central) bodies.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:Very nice rigs, are these General or Central?

Quick trick that works for 99% of the Rosenbauer rigs, and has been in place since I sold for them to my knowledge.

General (Minnesota division in their new speak) rigs will have a large, somewhat glossy R on the side of the cab up high on both custom and commercial cabs.  Central (South Dakota) rigs do not have this R up high and have the Rosenbauer logo fully spelled out somewhere on the rearmost compartment sides on most rigs.  This will not be on the General/Minnesota rigs.

There are differences in body construction evident from the exterior, but that's harder to explain.  The manner in which the roll up doors are mounted and the compartment top/ceiling construction is markedly different.  If you looked at one of each side by side it is very evident.

Yea being a pretty big General fan I had a feeling they were central, although I am a fan of these rigs.

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
SD Built Body - There will be a painted panel / space between the vertical door frames of adjacent roll-up doors.

MN (General) Built Body - The vertical door frames of adjacent compartments will be tight against each other.

SD built Bodies - Narrow space above the Roll-up door frames, typical treadplate catwalk.

MN (General) Built Body - (Roll-up Doors)There will be typically a 9.00" wide  painted or treadplate panel above the side compartments. This is the area that the roll-up door is mounted in. In the MN body the side roll-up doors are entirely above the compartment ceiling and is hidden from view.

MN (General) Built Body - (Higned Doors) the compartment doors are adjacent to each other with no spacing or body framing showing between the compartments. There will be a 2.00" treadplate cap at the top of the compartments.
Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Quote:Can you explain the three letter number scheme on the Champaign rigs?

I assume that the first number is the department identifier, the second number the apparatus type and the last number the station?

Is Champaign still running three truck companies and the heavy rescue?

Does Champaign still run a tele-squrt?

Thanks in advance.

The new numbers are the new county-wide system that they went to a few years ago. Tom can tell you when, but the first number is the department number...so the 100 series is Champaign, 200 series is Urbana, I believe Willard Airport (U of I) is the 300s, etc. The middle number tells the unit type, not 100% on this, Tom correct me if I goof it up...

50s = engines

60s = ladders

70s = rescues

80s = reserves

90s = special units

Last number is station number. So you are correct Firesafe.

Champaign has only 2 frontline trucks at Stations 1 and 4, the tower ladder is at 1. They have a reserve aerial. I have never known them to run 3 trucks. You may be thinking back to when U of I had their own department and operated a truck company. Urbana has a truck co as well. The heavy rescue is still there out of Station 1.

The Tele-Squrt was replaced by the engine pictured above. Engine 151 is out of Station 1 and was the Tele-Squrt, which is now a reserve.
[color="#FF0000"]D Herndobler[/color]
firesafe91-

The leading numbers are the dept. (many rural departments have 4 digit numbers), the next number is type and the last is unit.

xx0x- Chief officers

xx1x- Command and staff (xx10 is usually a shift command)

xx2x, xx3x, xx4x- staff and other various units

xx5x- Engines

xx6x- Ladders and Water Tenders, ladders usually are 1 or station number, tenders are usually xx66, xx67

xx7x- Rescue Squads, small squads (ie F-450 cab, ect) are often xx75 or 79 instead of xx71

xx8x- Utility/ Reserve, Champaign's reserve engines are 185 and 186, most pickups and bush trucks are 80 series

xx9x- Special, ie Haz-mat, Tech Rescue

Champaign currently has 6 stations with 6 engines, 1 tower ladder, 1 regular ladder (both have pumps), and one large Squad. They use to have 2 reserve engines but I think they now 3 after this last purchase. There is also a reserve squad and reserve ladder that is a twin to the one in service as 164.

Urbana has 4 stations with 4 engines and 1 ladder. I think they have 3 reserve engines but no reserve ladder.
Hi D! I guess I type too slow...