Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles (/showthread.php?tid=2031)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles - mnsand - 09-15-2006

Also located in Buxton is the Hatteras Island Rescue Squad, the only dedicated rescue squad in Dare County. No ambulances found at this Rescue Squad since EMS transport is provided by Dare County units.

The rescue squad was formed in 1980 and chartered in 1983. The squad provides rescue, first responder, water rescue and HAZMAT operations. Also at the station are numerous small boats and jet ski's.

Rescue 1 is the Department's command vehicle, an early 2000's Chevrolet Suburban.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Rescue 2 is a 2002 GMC 3500 4x4/Quigley conversion.

It carries a stretcher in the rear for beach access.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Rescue 3 at the Hatteras Island Rescue Squad is a 1991 Ford F350 4x4/Reading.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

I don't believe this is Rescue 4 any longer (see next post). Hatteras Island runs this heavy rescue, but I am not sure of the unit designation.

1999 Freightliner 70/Hackney.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

I don't have much information on the new Rescue 4 at the Hatteras Island Rescue Squad. We were coming up to the station and they pulled out on a call with a jet ski being towed on a trailer. They went to the Avon pier for a stranded person on a non-functioning jet ski at the end of the fishing pier. They went out onto the beach, backed the jet ski trailer into the water, and launched the rescue jet ski with two personnel.

The Hatteras Rescue squad covers the entire southern shores area of the Outer Banks.

I do know that Rescue 4 is a GMC 3500. That where my info stops. I grabbed a quick photo at the jet ski rescue at the Avon pier about a month ago.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

The final photo from the Buxton area is from the National Park Service. My understanding is that this Hummer is assigned to the Hatteras light house area.

1996 Hummer/Fire Attacker 200/200/20.

Mike Sanders photo collection.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

A short way down Highway 12 from Buxton is the village of Frisco, one of the more "quieter" villages. There are a few restaurants and shops, a fishing pier and a nice golf course. Mostly, however, Frisco has peace and quiet for those who want to relax.

Frisco runs from one station and their Engine 422 is a 1989 Emergency One Protector with a top mount 1250 gpm pump, 1000 gallons of water, and serial number 7262.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Frisco's Ladder 421 was used in an Emergeny One calendar and is a 2002 Emergency One Cyclone II with a 75', 1500/350/50. It has serial number 125866.

Foam can flow through the ladders piping and out through the nozzle at the end of the ladder.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Frisco's Brush 424 is this 2000 Chevrolet 3500/Darley/Fouts Brothers 150/300/20.

It is one of two brush trucks at Frisco.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

I hope Taylor Goodman does not mind me using his photo of Frisco's other brush truck.

I have no info on what appears to be an ex-military unit.

Mike Sanders collection.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Prior to Frisco purchasing their Emergency One ladder truck, this was Frisco's "ladder" truck. I wish I could have taken a photo of it with the ladders on the truck.

It is now Utility 423, a 1998 Chevrolet Cheyenne/Knapheide. Frisco had a local boat maker, Carolina Welders, do much of the extra work that would allow this truck to be able to carry numerous ladders.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

At one time, Frisco ran two Disaster or Storm units. They now have one.

The current Storm unit is this 1977 International 1600 4x4/Mark Body. I was told it came from the Winston-Salem, North Carolina area.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

"The Beast" is no longer in service. I photographed it in 2004 just prior to it going out of service at Frisco.

It is a Kaiser 2 1/2 ton 6x6.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

And finally, our last Dare County station.

Just south of Frisco is Hatteras Village, typically called Hatteras. The village sits right along the banks of the Hatteras Inlet and has long been a fishing village. Recreational fishing still reigns supreme here, however, upscale beach homes and upscale shopping is filtering into the area.

Highway 12 ends at Hatteras Island.....well kind of. You have to get on a ferry boat to Ocracoke Island to continue the journey.

Here is the sign on the Hatteras station.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

And another found on some of the Hatteras apparatus.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Established in 1959, Hatteras still owns thier first fire truck. Right now, it sits out back and is out of service. The FD has not made a decision on what to do with this truck.

I was told at one time that Engine 1 handled all fire calls along Highway 12 up through Chicamacomico Banks. One local long time firefighter told me he has many memories of riding the back step at night in some crazy weather on the back of Engine 1, thinking the journey would never end because they were traveling quite far.

Engine 1 is a 1960 Dodge Power Wagon/Howe 500/500 with Howe serial number 10735.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Here is the other side of Engine 1 as it sat about a month ago out behind the station.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Have you ever had one of those fire trucks that you have tried and tried to get photos of and it just does not work out.

Allow me to introduce you to the one fire truck that has managed to evade me each and every time I visit. Not that I have been to Hatteras many times, but when I have made connections at the FD and went to get photos, something is always wrong with this truck.

One opportunity I had was taking some of the all wheel drive Hatteras apparatus out to the beach for photos. I wanted to get Engine 2 close by the station...it would not start. Back again and it was out of service for mechanical reasons. This time (last month) I was determined to get a nice photo of Engine 2. I found a local shop keeper who was a firefighter. He knew a driver, called him, and said he would be down to the station. "Which truck would I like? Engine 2 please, because it is the only one I have not been able to get a photo of. I am sorry Mr. Sanders.....the brakes went out on Engine 2 two days ago and it is not driveable. Will you be back in the area anytime soon?" And so it goes. This continues to be on my most wanted list. I know, it is a commercial fire truck with not many thrills to it. I like Ford C's, I like the top mount pump panel, and I like the challenge.

So, I will present to you my digital photo of a station photo they have of Engine 2 and the in house shot.

Engine 2 is a 1977 Ford C750/Howe/Grumman 750gpm with a unique (and small) top mount pump panel.

Please....if anyone has a photo of Engine 2, I would appreciate seeing it posted.

The in house photo of Engine 2.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Hatteras has several unique all wheel drive apparatus designed to go on sand for responses.

Engine 403 is a 1995 International 4800 4x4/Emergency One 1250/500 with serial number 15257.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA