Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles (/showthread.php?tid=2031)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles - mnsand - 08-25-2008

Southern Shores is the first community you come to when passing over the main bridge from Currituck County into Dare County. They operate two fire stations. Much of their equipment can be seen on page 6 of this thread.

Here is their newest.....almost fresh from the factory.

Rehab 12 is a 2007 Chevrolet Kodiak that was completed by AEV in 2008. It has two awnings, rehab area inside, outside compartments that open into the inside so food and beverage can be served, etc.

Southern Shores, NC

Dare County

Rehab 12

2007 Chevrolet Kodiak/2008 AEV

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Here is the back end of Rehab 12. A cold water outlet is located on the bottom left diamond plate.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Yet another example of a "Rescue" unit in the Outer Banks and an example of the variety of these trucks.

Kitty Hawk Rescue 13 runs this 2005 Ford F350.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Ocean Rescue trucks are common at many of the Outer Banks FD's. Most are pick up trucks, as this example of Kitty Hawk's Chevrolet Pick up that carries a jet.

Stay tuned to this thread to see a very interesting and uncommon Ocean Rescue unit placed into service by an Outer Banks FD.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

We could not pass up the opportunity with the nice week we were having to make a trip to the Southern beaches in the Hatteras area. There are not many new arrivals to find, but we had a good trip.

After leaving Nags Head, the first community you find is Chicamacomico Banks, located in Dare County. You can see other trucks from this FD on page 12 of this thread.

A new ocean rescue operates as Rescue 50, a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Many of the fire and rescue departments tow small boats or jet ski's on the ocean rescue units. Chicamacomico Banks has a variety of trailers. Rescue 50 is towing a jet ski and other equipment.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

I could not pass up the opportunity to photograph in digital one of my favorite all time fire trucks, Ladder 502 from Chicamacomico Banks.

Ladder 502

2000 International 4900 6x6/Pierce

1500/500

75' Telesqurt

Pierce job number 10805

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

From Chicamacomico Banks we made the rather short drive to Salvo. I had been hearing lots of things about Salvo, and the Chief at Chicamacomico Banks filled me in.

Salvo is building a new station at the same site as their old station. I don't know the exact time frame for completion, but things are well on their way.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

So where are the Salvo apparatus that are shown on page 12 of this thread?

The Ford pumper with the overhead ladder rack is currently being stored at Chicamacomico Banks. Salvo's engine and brush are in service at the Chief's house in Salvo.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Forgot to mention about Salvo.....they have a new Pierce ladder truck on order.

From Salvo I went by Avon and Buxton with no new apparatus. Their current apparatus are on this thread.

The Hatteras Island Rescue Squad (pages 13 and 17 of this thread) has a new Rescue 3, a 2008 Ford F350/AlumLine.

Rescue 3's squad body is very similar to their Rescue 4. The difference is that Rescue 4 does not have dual rear wheels and its main purpose is to be able to drive on the sand for beach/ocean rescues. The new Rescue 4, on the other hand, has dual rear wheels and carries extrication equipment and some techincal rescue gear. It is not designed to go on the beach, but acts more as a smaller back up to the department's heavy squad (Freightliner/Hackney).

The Rescue Squad likes the AlumLine boxes and uses the top of the squad body as an observation platform.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

The Hatteras Island Rescue Squad station consists of two buildings in a "L" shape.

Here is the main garage that houses apparatus and offices.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

The second facility, constructed several years ago, mainly stores apparatus and equipment.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

If you have been to the Outer Banks, you have probably seen the numerous Ford E ambulances and medic units running around.

Last year I was told that Dare County might experiment with monster medics. This year I was told that will not happen (at least for now). I saw several new Ford E ambulances.

Medic 3 runs one of the new ones, a 2008 Ford E/Taylor Made. EMS Station 3 is located between Buxton and Frisco.

Speaking of Frisco, no new apparatus at Frisco or Hatteras.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

We headed back to the Nags Head area for one last stop during the afternoon, Colington Station 15 located near Kill Devil Hills.

This was probably one of my favorite visits.....the guys at Colington went all out moving apparatus for photos and taking us to a marina where their Fireboat is docked.

Engine 15 at Colington is this 1994 HME/4-Guys 1500/1000 with 4-Guys s/n F-1551.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

The FD's logo of the crab is a nice touch.

Engine 151 is a 1995 International 4900/E-One top mount 1250/1000 with s/n 15304. At one time, it was a E\-One demo.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

This is one of my favorites in the OBX area - Colington Engine 152. It is designed as a water supply piece and obviously able to go off road.

Engine 152

1987 Ford F8000/E-One

1250/750

s/n 5675

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Squad 15 from Colington is another nice truck - a 2001 Ford F550/2002 ALF 150/300. I could not find a s/n on this one.

The squad basically handles a variety of duties - EMS, auto accidents, etc.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Here is a rear view of Squad 15.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Brush 15 is well equipped with equipment - a 1988 Ford F350 150/300 and a small amount of foam.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Here is the back end of Brush 15.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA