Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles (/showthread.php?tid=2031)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles - Guest - 09-06-2006

Great info and photo's. Thank you very much for sharing.

I guess the OBX was a firepickers paradise these past couple of weeks. The kids and I were down there last week also, stayed in Nags Head about 6 doors down from their new station on Route 12.

Rusty...

Nice work.

[quote name='mnsand' date='Sep 4 2006, 13:05 ' post='30043']

I visited Knotts Island in October of 2004. Knotts Island runs as Station 15 in both Currituck County, North Carolina and also as Station 15 in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Knotts Island is accessible from Virginia Beach, although I have never made that trip. I got to Knotts Island by taking a ferry boat from Currituck County.

To get to Knotts Island from VB, one has to cross the VA/NC state line as there is only one road that can be accessed. I've taken the ferry numerous times also-it's a nice ride

Stacy Howell

Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles - firemag - 09-06-2006

Mike,

I'm enjoying the heck out of this, but not getting much work done. Each night, after you post, I get out the photos and roster and begin checking. I make sure I have all the photos, or see which new ones I need. I correct/update my roster, and think about travling that road to the OBX. I think our fall trip is not going to happen, so I'm using your posts as my fall visit. Can't wait for more!!!!!!

Jerry

P.S. How much did you pay to get that final station opened?

Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles - mnsand - 09-06-2006

[quote name='firemag' post='31031' date='Sep 6 2006, 18:39 ']Mike,

I'm enjoying the heck out of this, but not getting much work done. Each night, after you post, I get out the photos and roster and begin checking. I make sure I have all the photos, or see which new ones I need. I correct/update my roster, and think about travling that road to the OBX. I think our fall trip is not going to happen, so I'm using your posts as my fall visit. Can't wait for more!!!!!!

Jerry

P.S. How much did you pay to get that final station opened?[/quote]

Jerry,

Glad you are enjoying the OBX tour. I know you love this area.

If you are referring to the last Lower Currituck station close to the Wright Brothers bridge.....the folks at Lower Currituck were extremely nice and accomodating. The Chief was out of town at a FD conference and ensured that someone was at the main station in Grandy to meet me. We were then taken to the small substation for photos. My only disappointment there was that the twin Spartan/Ferrara was not at the sub station. I was told one of the firefighters took it home to respond in it if needed. That was kind of interesting.

I am enjoying more and more following Currituck and Dare Counties.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

We left off in Corolla and Carova Beach, which are departments located on Route 12 in Currituck County.

Tonight we begin the Dare County stations, and we will start with Duck. The Duck VFD is also located on Route 12 south of Corolla.

Like quite a few of the stations in the Outer Banks, Duck is relatively young. Duck began 1982.

Here is a photo of their insignia which is found on their very nice Pierce tower.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

I will start with a couple of trucks that are no longer in service. I did not take this photo and don't have much information on the truck.

Engine 1106 is either a 1982 or 1984 Chevrolet/Atlas. 1200gwt.

If anyone has additional info on this piece, I would appreciate knowing.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

This appears to be an early photo possibly while the station was being built.

No info on this truck. Mike Sanders collection.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

I photographed old Engine 11 in 1997. It is a 1992 HME/Ferrara top mount 1500/1000 with serial number 63425.

It was replaced in 2005 when Duck took delivery of a new Pierce engine. The HME/Ferrara is now in service at the Mahantongo Fire Company in Pitman, Pennsylvania.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Here is the 1992 HME/Ferrara's replacement - a very nice (and big) 2005 Pierce Dash 2000/750/40. It carries Pierce job number 16636.

This is the first time that I have seen a covered pump panel. There is a sliding cover over the top mount pump panel.

It also has a light tower and automatic deck gun.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

A different angle on Engine 11.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

...and a final view from the rear.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Duck likes their top mount pump panels.

Photographed in 1997, Engine 111 is a 1990 Grumman Firecat 1500/1000. It is very similar in appearance to their 1992 HME/Ferrara. Sorry, no serial number on this one.

This is still in service in Duck.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Another nice Grumman Aerial Cat in the Outer Banks area.

Old Truck 11 was this 1987 Duplex/Grumman 102' with a 1500/300. It has Grumman s/n 17297.

This Grumman was sold in 2003 when Duck took delivery of their new tower. The information I have is that it was sold to Oak Ridge, North Carolina. Could any of our NC firepic members confirm that? The reason I ask is that I also was told this Grumman ended up in Franklin County, Virginia at the Scruggs VFD. However, the photo of the Scruggs tower shows no half doors. Any help is appreciated.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Here's a beauty.....next year I will have to work on getting a group shot of Duck's Pierce Engine 11 and their Tower.

Truck 11 is a 2002 Pierce Dash 2000gpm with a minimal 50 gallon water tank. It is a 100'. Pierce job number 12826.

What really makes this interesting is that the bucket is painted black.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Here is Truck 11 coming right at you.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Duck's old brush truck was this old North Carolina Power truck - a 1980 International S/Baker. It has a 250/400.

This brush was later sold to the Dare County Airport in Roanoke Island (also in Dare County) where it served as a crash truck. It is still located at the airport as a reserve crash truck.

Photo from the Mike Sanders collection.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Brush duties today are handled today by Brush 11, a 1995 Chevrolet Cheyenne 3500. It has a 80/200.

This seems to be one of the first out pieces on many calls that Duck runs. I have heard it frequently mark up on the air responding prior to other apparatus. I am assuming that is based on manpower availability.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

I am not sure why Duck's Utility 11 is painted in a different color.

1996 Chevrolet Silverado/Chief's Fire and Rescue.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va