Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OAFC 2014 Annual Conference
Quote:Rosenbauer will tell you that the Raptor isn't the answer to all FD's aerial apparatus needs.  The Raptor is a niche market device, and it would work great in my volunteer house, but would be highly frowned on at work.  Just depends on your staffing, response area, geography, compartmentation needs, etc.
So does this mean a yellow version may be headed to middle of no where VA?
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Quote: 

That would never come close to being usable around here.  Most good trucks have 250-300+ feet of ground ladders plus truck co equipment (and no i do not mean heavy rescue equipment, we do not do rescue trucks)
Like everything, it can be adapted to a user's needs to a certain point, but there are places that will never really like the product.  I know there are units out there with an enhanced ground ladder complement, but likely not 250+ feet.  The whole method to the madness of the Metz is a Euro style approach that doesn't always fit how we do things.

I would challenge anyone who is given the opportunity to ride the basket in one and experience what every aerial builder in the US should be doing.  The thing is amazingly fast and smooth.  You can program in points of rescue and a landing site and can literally duplicate your pickup and drop off points repeatedly at max speed.  The short jacking capability to operate in an envelope limited by ground pressure sensors, etc. is incredible.  I think Rosenbauer has duplicated this ability on their RK line, but I'm shocked the speed and smoothness hasn't been integrated into a more American style aerial or tower.  If the Metz can go from parking brake being set to full extension at 102 feel in sixty seconds, there's no reason why the stuff over here can't...

Quote:So does this mean a yellow version may be headed to middle of no where VA?

Not anytime soon, but I wouldn't say it would ever be out of the realm of possibility.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:Like everything, it can be adapted to a user's needs to a certain point, but there are places that will never really like the product.  I know there are units out there with an enhanced ground ladder complement, but likely not 250+ feet.  The whole method to the madness of the Metz is a Euro style approach that doesn't always fit how we do things.

I would challenge anyone who is given the opportunity to ride the basket in one and experience what every aerial builder in the US should be doing.  The thing is amazingly fast and smooth.  You can program in points of rescue and a landing site and can literally duplicate your pickup and drop off points repeatedly at max speed.  The short jacking capability to operate in an envelope limited by ground pressure sensors, etc. is incredible.  I think Rosenbauer has duplicated this ability on their RK line, but I'm shocked the speed and smoothness hasn't been integrated into a more American style aerial or tower.  If the Metz can go from parking brake being set to full extension at 102 feel in sixty seconds, there's no reason why the stuff over here can't...
You just mentioned the MAIN problem I have with the Rosenmetz aerials.

They really advertise ability to short jack and operate off the short jacked side. It's computer controlled and will self retract if the computer senses an issue. Imagine extending up to a window to rescue a person and when you get there 2-3 other heads pop-up.

Sorry...but in 22 years, I've NEVER had to set-up and needed to operate off the short jacked side.
Without derailing this thread any more than it already is, here are the images from our Metz demo a couple of years ago.  Made a believer out of us, it's a heck of a machine.  They'll never be a huge seller for many municipal departments, but are a perfect fit for others.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:You just mentioned the MAIN problem I have with the Rosenmetz aerials.

They really advertise ability to short jack and operate off the short jacked side. It's computer controlled and will self retract if the computer senses an issue. Imagine extending up to a window to rescue a person and when you get there 2-3 other heads pop-up.

Sorry...but in 22 years, I've NEVER had to set-up and needed to operate off the short jacked side.

It will stop further extension, but self retracting?  That's new to me, and I operated quite a few of them.
Quote:It will stop further extension, but self retracting?  That's new to me, and I operated quite a few of them.
That's what the Rosenbauer sales staff told me at FDIC 2012 and 2013.
Quote:That's what the Rosenbauer sales staff told me at FDIC 2012 and 2013.
Just confirmed this with someone I still keep in touch with at Rosenbauer, the Metz does not self retract if you get "too heavy."  It will stop further extension, etc. that would make the condition more unsafe.

Basket capacity is now rated at 1,000 pounds, but I dont' know the envelope yet for that rating.
Our department covers 2 small cities with little of no parking enforecment if we had the money I think it would be a perfect fit for our tight and hilly streets