Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aurora, CO Rollover Cement Truck 12/28/13
Quote: 

Could it of been a "Dispatch Center" thing so that both of the units assigned to cross staff it didnt end up on other runs leaving it unavailable. Thus assuring it could get out if needed?

Also I thought 14 has a new Quest Quint?
Quote: 

After seeing Eric's response, I was thinking the same thing.

AFD Dispatch doesn't automatically take cross-staffed units out of service, it's up to the company officer to advise.  It could be that they went out of service on the phone but I never heard it get aired on the radio.  I doubt they went out of service since that would have only left one truck company (Tower 6) in service for the city and it would have been moved up to a central location.  CAD doesn't make team specific recommendations so the "TRT" Tech Rescue Team makes the decision what apparatus they're taking based on incident information.  The stand by order usually ques them into their MDC's to read the info and decide what rigs are going to respond.  The collapse & shoring unit lives outside on the street, so on a cold or snowy day they need some time to get it going. 

Truck 14 has a new Cyclone quint, they're running in the primary reserve ladder right now. 
Great set of pics!

Looks like one of the cars that stopped was from a car dealership, that would be a test drive to remember!
Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>
Nice set of photos, Eric. I'm surprised that the hazmat team took the time and equipment to offload the fuel. I figured they'd just mitigate any leak and contract out the fuel offload and cleanup to a private company.
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Quote:Nice set of photos, Eric. I'm surprised that the hazmat team took the time and equipment to offload the fuel. I figured they'd just mitigate any leak and contract out the fuel offload and cleanup to a private company.

My thought exactly.  I've seen some FD's around here assist with fuel offload but never take care of it 100%.  I didn't stick around until the end but I was wondering where AFD would take the barrel on a weekend.  Although... With rising fuel costs maybe this is a way to pad the budget Wink

love the mountains in the background

Quote: 

AFD Dispatch doesn't automatically take cross-staffed units out of service, it's up to the company officer to advise.  It could be that they went out of service on the phone but I never heard it get aired on the radio.  I doubt they went out of service since that would have only left one truck company (Tower 6) in service for the city and it would have been moved up to a central location.  CAD doesn't make team specific recommendations so the "TRT" Tech Rescue Team makes the decision what apparatus they're taking based on incident information.  The stand by order usually ques them into their MDC's to read the info and decide what rigs are going to respond.  The collapse & shoring unit lives outside on the street, so on a cold or snowy day they need some time to get it going. 

Truck 14 has a new Cyclone quint, they're running in the primary reserve ladder right now. 
We do the same thing our Rescue 1 is primarily cross-staffed by our Truck 1. Although if Truck 1 is on a run Engine 1 can take the Rescue. Fire Alarm does not automatically take the cross-staffed unit out for my department. The Truck or Engine Captain or Acting Captain will advise Rescue 1 out of service. Both of our Truck Companies carry a medium duty amount of rescue/ extraction tools for Pins. This covers about 90% of what we need. As we have found over the years as a large suburban fire department running the Engine and Truck concept then trying the Quint and Rescue concept the time tested Truck and Engine concept is much more useful on a daily basis and especially for fires. We retuned to Engines and Trucks and they provide my department more options. Our Fire Alarm CAD will auto recommend units based on info entered for specific types of running cards. Both of Our Trucks are listed in the CAD as the same capability as the Rescue. Our Captains assigned to the SOG Special Operations Group Fire House 1 and 2 can alter the running card at their descrestion and take the Rescue, Haz-Mat, or Pod Hauler. 

Stay Safe,

Rick

Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Quote: 

My thought exactly.  I've seen some FD's around here assist with fuel offload but never take care of it 100%.  I didn't stick around until the end but I was wondering where AFD would take the barrel on a weekend.  Although... With rising fuel costs maybe this is a way to pad the budget Wink

I thought something simular, Its just diesel fuel. 
[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]