Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Crusaders
Quote:Back in 89 with the first 3 delivered. Chief Lamb gave the stations 2, 4, and 9 membership a choice of 5 colors to chose from for their engines. He had done his research for visibility and the 5 colors gave the most out of the tradition red. Station 2 had light green apparatus, so they went with the fluorescent green. Station 4 and 9 went to the Fluorescent Red even though it looked orange. With the last 3 young engines that were 1990. They were suppose to be S&S engines, but S&S went out of business. So Chief Lamb went to Young and ordered 3 more engines identical to specs.. Only difference was that in that time we had some ambulances painted in the pearl white and everyone like the pearl white so station 1 went to the pearl white engine. Station 10 went to the Fluorescent Green cause they did not like the Red. Engine 21 was the dedicated Training Engine, because they were tired of using having to jump around to get an engine from the other stations. Engine 21 which was Station 2 second engine or when the training division needed it. Engine 21 came in John Deere Green cause Chief Lamb like the color. So they ordered it that way. Originally Engine 21 was suppose to be Engine 41, because Station 4 was centrally located in the township. But we did not want the hassle of having two engine crews and then the training engine going out of service for training and a crew not being able to ride cause of no engine. Then when Engine 2 was totaled in a rollover accident going to a false alarm. Then Engine 21 become the primary engine till their HME/Luverne engine came in. Wayne Township ran two Engines out of each station.

Station 1-Engine 1 and Engine 11

Station 2-Engine 2 and Engine 21

Station 4-Engine 4 and Engine 41

Station 9-Engine 9 and Engine 91

Station 10-Engine 10 and Engine 10-1
Thanks for the information!
S&S didn't go out of business until 2009

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:S&S didn't go out of business until 2009

Okay they may have filed bankruptcy or or went out of business for a couple of years and then came Back under new ownership. I know cause Chief Lamb was telling Station 1, 10, and training division. Contract was signed at same time as the youngs contract
Pump Primers? Got any extra seats? Hell I'd ride the tailboard!
FF - JH Ketcham Hose Co, Dover Plains, NY 36 Truck

FAO - City of Poughkeepsie

FTM - PTB - KTF
Quote:Okay they may have filed bankruptcy or or went out of business for a couple of years and then came Back under new ownership. I know cause Chief Lamb was telling Station 1, 10, and training division. Contract was signed at same time as the youngs contract

No, S&S was alive and well.  My county purchased tankers from them in 1989, 1992, and 1995.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
1983 Crusader II 1250/500 with a little history:

purchased by Baileys Crossroads VFD in Fairfax Co.,VA.

Replaced 1987 and bought by Walnut Bottom VFC in Cumberland Co.,PA.

Replaced by WBVFC in 2001 and went to 3rd owner?

1992 photo by WW Jenkins 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You bring the beer and venison.. and I ain't drivin' BananaMan

Quote:You bring the beer and venison.. and I ain't drivin' BananaMan
I second that one. A good Deer Steak and Beer would hit the spot.
Dave
Doc,

I put the pics of this and a Young Crusader II from Frazer Township #1 in Allegheny County,PA up next to each other and they are very similar.

I'll try to post when I get the opportunity...

Quote:1983 Crusader II 1250/500 with a little history:

purchased by Baileys Crossroads VFD in Fairfax Co.,VA.

Replaced 1987 and bought by Walnut Bottom VFC in Cumberland Co.,PA.

Replaced by WBVFC in 2001 and went to 3rd owner?

1992 photo by WW Jenkins 
Hardy, William C

Larimer VFD, Westmoreland County Station 1

Westinghouse Waltz Mill VFB, Westmoreland County Station 116
Quote:Doc,

I put the pics of this and a Young Crusader II from Frazer Township #1 in Allegheny County,PA up next to each other and they are very similar.

I'll try to post when I get the opportunity...

Fairfax Engine 10, South Newton Engine 49 and Frazer Engine are all the same one.
Patrick Shoop Sr.

Lewistown, PA.
Dr. - this is what I have on it - correct me if I am wrong:

1984 Duplex/Young Crusader - 1250/500/40 - serial #84-765

Baily's Crossroads - 1984-1985

Walnut Bottom, PA - 1985-2000

Frazer Twp., PA 2000-2007

Gilbralter, PA 2007-2009

Gilberton, PA 2009-2011

Burtnettsville, IN 2011-?

Getting close to it's 9th life.

Bruce

Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
Does anybody have a pic of it at Baily's Crossroads ?

Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
Baileys Crossroads VFD, Fairfax County, VA - Wagon 10 (Chris Fox photo)

Attached Files Image(s)

Remember, it's their Emergency, not yours !  Arrive Alive !
Bruce, I have the Young in service at Bailey's X-Roads thru 1986, as indicated by a Nov.1986 roster, and a 1986 photo from Mike Sanders in my collection.

http://www.indianafiretrucks.com/Station...ionId=1171

Doc - will make the correction in my file - thanks !

Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
I remember this rig in Baileys Crossroads and on the cover of the Wagon Pipe Newsletter. What was the reason for the short lifespan there?

Quote:I remember this rig in Baileys Crossroads and on the cover of the Wagon Pipe Newsletter. What was the reason for the short lifespan there?
To the best of my knowledge, it was delivered with hydraulic valves, like the Young Crusaders purchased by neighboring Arlington County (VA) where Engine (4)10 ran many a call daily. As I've learned, there were operability which led to reliability issues on those particular valves which led to its replacement with one of the first Pierce Arrow pumpers in Fairfax County; I think McLean got the first Pierce in Fairfax County.