• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicago Fire Department
Chicago IL Seagrave #53175
Chicago IL Seagrave water tower

photo by Freeman?
Chicago IL Seagrave Water tower
Chicago IL Seagrave Watertower
Chicago IL Seagrave Watertower _
Frank, great photos. I wonder if Chicago still has any old towers, in retirement of course, still on the roster sitting around a station?
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
The Fire museum of chicago has a restored water tower it was last used at the Illinois fire buffs show at the fire academy in June.
[quote name='FFPM571' date='30 September 2010 - 05:35 PM' timestamp='1285881307' post='405357']

The Fire museum of chicago has a restored water tower it was last used at the Illinois fire buffs show at the fire academy in June.

[/quote]

Thanks. We still havea 1922, 65 footer Seagrave Tower. Not in service, but we have it. I think I have posted it in the Richmond thread and maybe the Seagrave one as well.
John Hinant

Here it is at the june 26th 2010 muster.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[quote name='R1SmokeEater' date='29 September 2010 - 01:55 PM' timestamp='1285785301' post='405154']

Mike, I pulled my Mack Tilt Cab Fire Apparatus book (Malecky)off shelf, cause I knew it was in there. He has it listed as originally a 1970 Mack MB/ Platt body Co.(6 went into service in 1973) that was one of the "Flying Squads" rebuilt as HIT in 1985 by Blitz Body Co.

[/quote]

Seven and not six Mack/Platt Flying Manpower Squads were put in service in 1973 however one of them was on a 1966 Mack tilt cab chassis that was originally built as a tractor to haul our one of our old TDA's until they decided to extend the chassis so they could fit a Squad body on it.
I was exercising my scanner today and came across a coupla neat photos...I processed these in my darkroom in about 1978

The first is a shot of the joker stand and running board at eng 84 truck 51 6204 s Green one night while I was on jock watch

the 2nd is a 2-11 at 46th & lasalle that eng 84 was due on the box...Ray Orozco Sr was the officer that day...a nice view of the rear of the then new turret wagon..I think this was the one wrecked at the fire at 37th & Iron....

I really and truly treasure my fire fan days and miss them every day

Steve

Attached Files Image(s)

here is the other

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[quote name='Srresquire' date='05 October 2010 - 06:43 PM' timestamp='1286317433' post='405964']

I was exercising my scanner today and came across a coupla neat photos...I processed these in my darkroom in about 1978

The first is a shot of the joker stand and running board at eng 84 truck 51 6204 s Green one night while I was on jock watch

the 2nd is a 2-11 at 46th & lasalle that eng 84 was due on the box...Ray Orozco Sr was the officer that day...a nice view of the rear of the then new turret wagon..I think this was the one wrecked at the fire at 37th & Iron....

I really and truly treasure my fire fan days and miss them every day

Steve

[/quote]

Steve, that is a nice photo of the stand. I see the sounder on the left! Great photos of this and the turrett wagon at the job. Did they put her into service??
John Hinant

Nope. Burnt the roof off but no turret wagon use.
Been poking through this thread for some time, and can not find the answer to a question I have. When the CFD ordered their first enclosed rig in 1938, the upper cab was painted black, which quickly caught on in Chicago's suburbs, then spread through out the country. My question is this; How did they come up with the black over red color scheme?
[quote name='firetrucknut' date='08 October 2010 - 06:48 PM' timestamp='1286576912' post='406283']

Been poking through this thread for some time, and can not find the answer to a question I have. When the CFD ordered their first enclosed rig in 1938, the upper cab was painted black, which quickly caught on in Chicago's suburbs, then spread through out the country. My question is this; How did they come up with the black over red color scheme?

[/quote]

I could be wrong on this but if my memory is correct the black came from some of the vehicles having soft tops that were either black leather or black canvas. Quinn wanted them to look uniform so the tops were painted black. Again I could be in left field on this one. The other trade mark the Red and Green running lights, came from Quinn love for boats and the put on the navagation light theme to the vehicles.
The Black over red comes from the early Battalion chief/ division chief buggies. They had a black canvas roof. Over time the appratus was painted black over red to match. The Red and green comes from before Quinn. Commissioner Corrigan's family owned a shipping line and the red and green were to signify port and starboard. The firehouses also have the red and green on the outside bay lights.
Thanks, the explanation of the color scheme sounds realistic, I knew about the red/green lights.
Stopped in Chicago for a couple of hours on my way back from Pierce last weekend, got to snap a few trucks. As I said, we weren't there for long, so I didn't have all of the trucks pulled out to pose. Nice little bonus that 5-2-5 stopped by HQ, and neat looking back and seeing what it looked like previously.

Trav!

Collapse Rescue 5-2-1 and Engine 5, Ladder 2 was leaving on a run when we pulled up!

[Image: wisconsin112.jpg]

[Image: wisconsin115.jpg]

[Image: wisconsin114.jpg]
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
5-2-5, 2-7-1 backing back into quarters, Squad 1, Squad 1A (definitely have seen some use) Ladder 3 (still damaged) Engine 42, BLS Ambulance 93 returning from a run, ALS Ambulance 42, couple of some doors open on 5-2-5, and station front. Sorry for so many pictures, but living in small town Indiana, I don't get this opportunity very often. You have to first realize, I AM NOT a photographer, I'm a kitbasher, I just take pictures when I get the chance.

Trav!

[Image: wisconsin117.jpg]

[Image: wisconsin119.jpg]

[Image: wisconsin120.jpg]

[Image: wisconsin121.jpg]

[Image: wisconsin122.jpg]

[Image: wisconsin126.jpg]

[Image: wisconsin127.jpg]

[Image: wisconsin129.jpg]

[Image: wisconsin130.jpg]

[Image: wisconsin132.jpg]

[Image: wisconsin131.jpg]

[Image: wisconsin133.jpg]

[Image: wisconsin137.jpg]
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.