Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Train Photography
Amtrak P-32ACDM #705 heading south through New Hamburg, en route to New York Penn Station

Attached Files Image(s)

Just north of New Hamburg, this Metro North train is headed south to Grand Central Terminal.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice photos grumpyFF. I haven't done any rail photography since the end of the summer, which is odd for me because I usually do shoot trains year-round. I'll have to make an effort to get out this week!

Thanks for the kick in the a**!
[quote name='jmp883' date='19 January 2010 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1263954113' post='359418']

Nice photos grumpyFF. I haven't done any rail photography since the end of the summer, which is odd for me because I usually do shoot trains year-round. I'll have to make an effort to get out this week!

Thanks for the kick in the a**!

[/quote]

Thanks,

I have not gone in a while, but had to drive my wife to school, so I took advantage of it. It wasn't too cold, but the rain got annoying after a while.

Also got this Connecticut DOT cabcar #6221 in Pawling, NY, wiht Metro North Bl20GH #114 pushing on the north end of the consist.

Attached Files Image(s)

Jack Showalter at the thorttle of ex. CPR 4-6-2 G5C #1238 on the former Allegany Central Railroad.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Another shot of Mr. Showalter.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Steam Locomotive Fireman Harry McCunn inspecting his fire as the #1238 passes thru Brush Tunnel.

Posed Night scene in the Ridgeley, WV yards of the Western Maryland Scenice Railroad.

January 22, 2010...my first railfanning trip of 2010. I got a call at 6am from my railfanning buddy, who was already at MP 52 on the CSX River Line between North Bergen, NJ and Selkirk Yard in upstate NY. I got off work at 8am, went home and changed, and was on the road to MP 41 by 8:15am. I got to MP 41 just after 9am and at 9:36am the automatic signal at MP 41 lit up for a southbound. By the way...it was a comfy 29 degrees when I got there.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I had already missed one southbound that my buddy shot but I got there in time to shoot the second southbound of the morning. This is CSX Train Q-110, a TOFC train. Leading the train is CSX #83, a GE AC44-CW.

Here's the Q-110 about to take the southbound automatic signal at MP 41. The cold air accented the locomotive exhaust quite nicely.

While my buddy was still up at MP 52 he talked to a track crew who advised him that there were several southbounds that needed to get through before the dispatcher would let them go to work. My buddy then came down by me at MP 41.

At 10:02am this northbound garbage train slipped by. CSX crews are required to call out signals as they pass them and the next signal south of this one at MP 41 is one at MP 38. I never heard him call that one, nor did he call this one at MP 41. I just happened to look up and see him coming around the bend. I called Pete on the radio to get ready for a northbound. By this time he had moved down from MP 52 to just about a half mile north of my location.

Since he wasn't calling signals I don't know what train this is but it is a garbage train. Those green containers are filled with garbage that are unloaded in NYC and then sent back north.

The train is led by CSX #8740, an EMD SD60-I. EMD is the locomotive division of General Motors.

At 10:19am CSX Track Car 94407 came south on a track patrol. Track patrols look for loose rail joints and other defects in the track structure.

A friendly wave from the track maintainer.

At 10:46am the last train of our day came by. This is the Q-420, a general merchandise train.

Leading the train is CSX #5244, a General Electric ES44DC.

Just a closer view of the Q-420.

A close-up of the #5244 on the point of the Q-420.

We called it a day after this. There were a few more trains waiting but the track was given to the track department in our area so we knew nothing would be running for a while. We decided to stop at a diner for breakfast and then head for home.

It was a good day..........except for having to reduce the files from my digital SLR to fit on Firepics. At least I still have the original sized images burned to disc!

[quote name='B. Sprague' date='18 January 2010 - 09:32 PM' timestamp='1263867148' post='359247']

Guilford # 373 comming out of the Ayer Mass.yard

[/quote]

What a great New England pic! Practically a moment from one of two tv shows of the 90's -- Murder She Wrote or Newhart, take your pic.
Rich Dean, Butler, New Jersey, USA

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

Dispatcher at Butler Police Communications from March 1975 to July 2009

Secretary of North Jersey Volunteer Firemen's Association since 1980

Member of Tri-Boro First Aid Squad (volunteer ems) since 2000 as a driver

Member of many Yahoogroups, owner of some such as:

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

[post="0"]RailfanEvents Yahoogroup[/post]

[post="0"]Railpics Yahoogroup[/post]
[quote name='jmp883' date='22 January 2010 - 02:50 PM' timestamp='1264188605' post='359776']

Since he wasn't calling signals I don't know what train this is but it is a garbage train. Those green containers are filled with garbage that are unloaded in NYC and then sent back north.

The train is led by CSX #8740, an EMD SD60-I. EMD is the locomotive division of General Motors.

[/quote]

Just a clarification. Needing $$$ and want to concentrate on the automotive market, GM sold EMD to a group of investors in 2005.

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/show...hp?t=61551