Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Train Photography
[quote name='grumpyFF' post='133130' date='Jul 25 2007, 14:37 ']Metro North's F10s #411 and 413 push three coaches south through Pawling, NY on a rainy 07/23/07. These are the oldest enginges in passenger service in the U.S.[/quote]

Rain er no rain, that's a cool shot there Mr. Grumpy! Great framing with the tree. And F-units to boot!
[quote name='dcfireman' post='133078' date='Jul 25 2007, 11:30 ']I just posted to Steve Skaar on the St. Louis apparatus thread how the well thought captions made it a most enjoyable thread. I have to extend that compliment to "Punkin" Duncan, aka thefireman4501. On occasion I return to this thread and review his photos and captions again -- not that I'm a huge train fan, they're just pleasant easy reading and fun. Keep it up![/quote]

Well a big "thank-ye" there Mr. DC Guy! I'll be a-posting pictures 'till the money runs out! (Or the Good Lord calls me home.)
Here's one for the fan club. Amtrak ain't exactly "my thing", but I do recognize the potential that one day it might not be around. (Warning: Political comment ahead!) I hope Amtrak does survive tho, I'd much rather my Fed. taxes go to Amtrak than some pork barrell waste or outsiders getting a free handout. Anyhoooo, we usually only get the shoebox lookin' GE locomotives on the Amtrak Crescent thru Atlanta. So you can imagine my pleasent surprise when this gal showed up in Anniston, Ala. pulling Amtrak #19 West to B'ham. Another successful bag of a not-so-common locomotive!

Attached Files Image(s)

I shot these while we were in Biloxi, MS on the Summer Meltdown Photo Trip last week. First is a eastbound CSX train. Not the best of shots but I'd just run from a fire station a half a block away and snapped it as fast as I could.

Mark Carr photo

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Shot this westbound Union Pacific train just prior to the last one. This train had 6 engines on it but wasn't very long. Guess they were moving power across the country or something.

Mark Carr photos

Oops, forgot one.

And back at home, I got stopped by this southbound Tri-Rail train.

Mark Carr photos.

And the last one.

Mark Carr photo.

[quote name='unMARKedCARR' post='139566' date='Aug 12 2007, 17:49 ']Oops, forgot one.[/quote]

Sometimes they will run solid consist of what we call "juice cars". They are usually short compared to other trains. They are very "hot" trains as Tropicana pays a hefty rate for rapid delivery. But as far as power, that probably was, like you said, some type of power transferr. The juice trains in my neck of the wood usually are on a hot Intermodal, CSX Q142.

Good to see your shootin' trains. Maybe we'll make a full fledged foamer out of ya!
[quote name='thefireman4501' post='139640' date='Aug 12 2007, 19:21 ']Sometimes they will run solid consist of what we call "juice cars". They are usually short compared to other trains. They are very "hot" trains as Tropicana pays a hefty rate for rapid delivery. But as far as power, that probably was, like you said, some type of power transferr. The juice trains in my neck of the wood usually are on a hot Intermodal, CSX Q142.

Good to see your shootin' trains. Maybe we'll make a full fledged foamer out of ya![/quote]

Trains have been a pasttime of mine since I was little. I had two uncles in Maine that I got to visit every once in a blue moon. One had a cellar (that's a big whole under the house for you uninformed southerners) full of HO trains and access to both the B&A Railroad and the Maine Central. We used to go ride the B&A switch engines; I even operated the throttle on a BL2.

The other uncle was into models and trucks. I was so torn. Anyway, I've always loved both trains and trucks, especially fire trucks. One uncle went on to be a volunteer driver for a fire dept. The one with the trains went on to be a volunteer driver on an ambulance. I guess it's all in the blood.
[quote name='1949ALF' post='126947' date='Jul 8 2007, 01:38 ']I saw this Union Pacific SD70ACe while out and about in Southern California today.

[Image: tn_Union-Pacific-8597.jpg][/quote]

My guess is, is that these two units are on their very first revenue run. Reason I say that is because you don't usually see 2 sequentially numbered unit together like that.

Nice shot Trina!!!!!!
[quote name='unMARKedCARR' post='139565' date='Aug 12 2007, 17:48 ']Shot this westbound Union Pacific train just prior to the last one. This train had 6 engines on it but wasn't very long. Guess they were moving power across the country or something.

Mark Carr photos[/quote]

Nice shots Mark!!!! My guess is you're right about the move, because it appears as if the only unit putting out any exhaust is the lead unit. The others are most likely dead-in-tow to help cut down on fuel consumption. I can't see any reason why they'd run a train w/that many loco's on it no days.
I've been trying to stay away from the average "roster shot" lately, and with inspiration from the "idiotrailfan.com", I shot things from a little different perspective yesterday. No fu-fu or seriously artsey-fartsey shots, but an attempt to stray from the everyday stuff. Here is a view of a classic switchstand with a regular local. .(NS T71, loco. #7065, EMD GP50) Shot at CP "South Bradley" in Cleveland, Tenn.

Attached Files Image(s)

Eastbound meets Westbound. NS 3315 holds the siding at CP Lyle pulling NS train #T44 while NS train #15T being led by NS 9651 passes on the main. 15T is one of the most meandering trains on the entire Norfolk Southern railroad. He starts in Allentown, PA and ends up in B'ham, Ala. and serves many towns in between. Photo taken in Cleveland, TN.

An m.t. N/B Ga. Power coal train awaits a fresh crew to continue it's journey Northward for more coal. Better watch out, it'll sneak up on ya thru the woods! On the NS "I" Line in Cleveland, TN.

Attached Files Image(s)

Speaking of coal trains, here's another m.t. headed back to the Powder River Basin in Wyoming from Ga. Power Plant R.W. Scherer near Macon. Plant Scherer burns only the low sulphur coal from out West and BNSF has the contract to feed it's hungry boilers at peak demand this summer. Here is NS train #739 headed RR North thru the fine community of Cohutta, GA. with an older SD70MAC on the point.

Thats not the Tri-Rail crossing by PBI, Belvedere Road i think ??
Kill 'em all, let Allah sort 'em out. NEVER forget 9/11/01 WTC, Pentagon, Pa. Avenge the acts with NO mercy.

Thanks to ALL the Brothers who were there 9/11/01 and afterwards. Words can never say what appreciation we have for you all.
[quote name='smketrfdny' post='140746' date='Aug 16 2007, 00:12 ']Thats not the Tri-Rail crossing by PBI, Belvedere Road i think ??[/quote]

That's the one.

Mark
Here one of Union Pacific 3985... I took back few years ago rolling into Longview, TX... I'm thinking this was the superbowl train but am not sure...

Attached Files Image(s)

[color="#FF0000"][size="2"]Jason Cherry

Engineer E-3

College Hill[/size][/color]

[color="#0000FF"][url="http://www.iafflocal502.com"]Texarkana, AR IAFF Local 502[/url][/color]

[color="#0000FF"][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw_bnS-qcds&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bollywoodsargam.com%2Fvideo_todayfeaturedvideo.php%3Fblockbustermovieclip%3Dpw_bnS-qcds---latest-Texarkana_Train_Derailment&feature=player_embedded"]Texarkana Train Derailment Explosion[/url][/color]
Little out of order, but I just found this one of 3985 making the bend and pouring the smoke... Longview,TX

Attached Files Image(s)

[color="#FF0000"][size="2"]Jason Cherry

Engineer E-3

College Hill[/size][/color]

[color="#0000FF"][url="http://www.iafflocal502.com"]Texarkana, AR IAFF Local 502[/url][/color]

[color="#0000FF"][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw_bnS-qcds&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bollywoodsargam.com%2Fvideo_todayfeaturedvideo.php%3Fblockbustermovieclip%3Dpw_bnS-qcds---latest-Texarkana_Train_Derailment&feature=player_embedded"]Texarkana Train Derailment Explosion[/url][/color]