Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairfax County VA
Dave,

It looks like I'm going to have to make a trip down sooner than I had planned for one of the new engines. Choice Fire is doing an Arlington, VA series, and has requested that I get a photo of a new engine for in the card series. I hope they are in service soon.
[quote name='Shoop' date='15 December 2009 - 01:19 PM' timestamp='1260903599' post='352630']

Dave,

It looks like I'm going to have to make a trip down sooner than I had planned for one of the new engines. Choice Fire is doing an Arlington, VA series, and has requested that I get a photo of a new engine for in the card series. I hope they are in service soon.

[/quote]

Get them to take one of the rigs down to the Iwo Jima Memorial for a shot, that would be a nice backdrop.
Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
[quote name='Good2Go' date='13 December 2009 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1260717353' post='352291']

22's Wagon

[/quote]

I remember the first time I saw Greater Springfield back in 1984 at the Hershey Chocolatetown Firemen's Parade witht their circa 1980 Seagrave. Then the next year they made the trip to Unionville, Connecticut, where we also saw those guys.
Rich Dean, Butler, New Jersey, USA

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

Dispatcher at Butler Police Communications from March 1975 to July 2009

Secretary of North Jersey Volunteer Firemen's Association since 1980

Member of Tri-Boro First Aid Squad (volunteer ems) since 2000 as a driver

Member of many Yahoogroups, owner of some such as:

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

[post="0"]RailfanEvents Yahoogroup[/post]

[post="0"]Railpics Yahoogroup[/post]
[quote name='Richard_L_Dean_07405' date='16 December 2009 - 07:35 PM' timestamp='1261008904' post='352776']

I remember the first time I saw Greater Springfield back in 1984 at the Hershey Chocolatetown Firemen's Parade witht their circa 1980 Seagrave. Then the next year they made the trip to Unionville, Connecticut, where we also saw those guys.

[/quote]

The Seagrave rig you're referring to is one of my favorite wagon's of all time. You can find pictures of it in the "Virginia Apparatus" thread.

Nate
Hey Roto-Ray,

You ask what would I do differently? What would I as an end user have to say about the new rigs in Fairfax County?

Well first of all, I would say don't ever put up the walls around yourself that the current apparatus duo has put up. Information is not free flowing which makes them feel some sort of power I guess? Don't make statements like "you get what we give you" and "those idiots in the field don't know what there talking about". That gets around, and does not sit well and is remembered for a long time. When guys try to take some initiative with the equipment they are "given" by adding a simple tool or moving a piece of equipment to make operations safer, don't headhunt and say they are destroying county equipment. I digress.

As for apparatus, it seems to me that all one has to do is float around forums like this and compare pictures of apparatus from the area. It is blatantly obvious that Fairfax has become the ODDBALL. Whereas, in the past Fairfax was somewhat of a leader in this field. Not so much now. The combination of the Velocity chassis and the 111 mirrors have generated numerous complaints from vibrations of the mirror, to blindspots, to not being able to see the rear tires, to name a few. Seems to me that if you want to try something new, give it a shot on one or two rigs and then evaluate feedback from those that actually put the rubber on the road. Don't get soon to be 13 velocity's(Rescues 11,18,26,39,Truck 29, Engine 32, and 6 new pumpers, oh Engine 13 (volunteer) drank the kool-aid too so make it 14) now and say that everything is all right, when it is not.

As for what I would do different. I would call our good neighbor Arlington. Ask to hop on thier new contract, and NOT CHANGE A THING. Supposedly the question has already been posed as far as some new ladders, but for sure the dynamic duo will make changes which is very unfortunate. Hopefully, pain is still temporary. Stay Safe Brother.
Thanks, Brother. As a member of our apparatus committee at work, I always like hearing what's working and not working other places. I do have to agree with you that the Arlington rigs are some of the best single-role rigs out there right now.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Just an FYI; The Field Communications Unit from Station 40 has been relocated to Fire Station 38, so that 40 has room to hold the reserve HAZMAT Unit.
[quote name='Engine438' date='06 January 2010 - 03:27 PM' timestamp='1262812072' post='356815']

Just an FYI; The Field Communications Unit from Station 40 has been relocated to Fire Station 38, so that 40 has room to hold the reserve HAZMAT Unit.

[/quote]

Thanks for the update Engine 438, I will update my roster accordingly.
Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
[quote name='Roto-Ray' date='05 January 2010 - 10:36 PM' timestamp='1262747816' post='356702']

Thanks, Brother. As a member of our apparatus committee at work, I always like hearing what's working and not working other places. I do have to agree with you that the Arlington rigs are some of the best single-role rigs out there right now.

[/quote]

From what I can see the new Arlington rigs look pretty sweet, simple and well thought out (and they have roto-rays!). Props!

http://www.acfd3.com/
Hey fellas - I realize this is way off topic, but I figured I'd ask anyway...

Does anyone happen to know how I might go about procuring a pair of old FFX 3/4 boots and an old yellow Cairns county helmet (with the old county logo from the early-mid 80's)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nate
Tower Ladder 5

Attached Files Image(s)

Rehab 13

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 18

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 30

Attached Files Image(s)

I may have already posted this...

New rescue 26

Attached Files Image(s)

Rescue 1 (not such a great pic but oh well).

Attached Files Image(s)

Last for now fellas.

New Truck 29.

Take it easy,

Nate

Attached Files Image(s)

I have a question I'm hoping someone here might be able to answer. Fairfax City I believe ran a tandem axle foam unit built on a commercial chassis by National Foam that was replaced within the past 2 or 3 years with a Pierce engine. I read somewhere that the old unit was sold to a department in New Jersey somewhere near Cherry Hill. Does anyone know where it went, or are able to find out for me? I've always wanted to photograph this unit and hope it is still in service with another department. Thanks in advance!
[quote name='jlg1875' date='19 January 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1263932338' post='359371']

I have a question I'm hoping someone here might be able to answer. Fairfax City I believe ran a tandem axle foam unit built on a commercial chassis by National Foam that was replaced within the past 2 or 3 years with a Pierce engine. I read somewhere that the old unit was sold to a department in New Jersey somewhere near Cherry Hill. Does anyone know where it went, or are able to find out for me? I've always wanted to photograph this unit and hope it is still in service with another department. Thanks in advance!

[/quote]

Foam 3 - 1991 White GMC/Chubb/National Foam 1500gpm with 1500 foam. Sold to Cherry Hill, NJ in 2008. Would love to see a photo of it at Cherry Hill.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' date='19 January 2010 - 07:37 PM' timestamp='1263946659' post='359406']

Foam 3 - 1991 White GMC/Chubb/National Foam 1500gpm with 1500 foam. Sold to Cherry Hill, NJ in 2008. Would love to see a photo of it at Cherry Hill.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

[/quote]

Thanks for posting the picture Mike, that's her! With all the buffs up in the Philly and South Jersey area, I've yet to see a photo of it in Cherry Hill livery, which is why I posted here looking for info as to where it went, as I am not 100% convinced it is actually in service at CHFD. Anyone out there know for sure or better yet, have a photo? Thanks in advance!