Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Train Photography
[quote name='hoss' date='Jan 22 2009, 00:26 ' post='275812']

Please enlighten the non-train buff (me) -

Hoss and everyone else, I am not trying to embarrass anyone or say that it is wrong to use the reference "train buff" like we have the long accepted phrase of "fire buff." However I would like to point out that the more universally accepted term at least for the past 25 years or so is "railfan."
Rich Dean, Butler, New Jersey, USA

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

Dispatcher at Butler Police Communications from March 1975 to July 2009

Secretary of North Jersey Volunteer Firemen's Association since 1980

Member of Tri-Boro First Aid Squad (volunteer ems) since 2000 as a driver

Member of many Yahoogroups, owner of some such as:

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

[post="0"]RailfanEvents Yahoogroup[/post]

[post="0"]Railpics Yahoogroup[/post]
B&M RDC at nite - Reading, MA. Winter, 1976.
Try again.....

Attached Files
.bmp   tn_4_BM_BUDD_READING_MA.bmp (Size: 56.3 KB / Downloads: 57)
.bmp   tn_4_BM_BUDD_READING_MA.bmp (Size: 56.3 KB / Downloads: 44)
Here are a few of my shot that I took several years ago.

First up is Nickel Plate Road 1926 Mikado 587.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Next up, are some pieces of equipment that used to be at the former New York Central museum in Elkhart, IN.

The first is I think an E9.

Next is an old steam powered wreck crane.

Last is an old steamer and Pullman baggage car.

FL-9m soldiers on through Pawling, New York on Metro North's Harlem line.

Cab car #6318 on the south end of the train as it passes the old station, to the high level platform.

Inside Grand Central Terminal while waiting for my late night train

Found this in Readville the other day...

[quote name='yelrowekim' post='277890' date='Jan 30 2009, 20:13 ']Found this in Readville the other day...

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=43123][/quote]

Very interesting looking pics of rail equipment. Anybody know what it actually does when it's out working on the rails?
I think it is used to work on the Catenary wires... the lights on the top sides all point upward and there is a work platform on the top.
It is not a track maintenance vehicle. As it says on the side, its a catenary maintenance vehicle. Meaning its used to maintain the overhead electrical wires. There is a black platform on top that raises so maintenance personnel can work on the wires.

David in Az

[quote name='matchot' post='277919' date='Jan 30 2009, 21:22 ']Very interesting looking pics of rail equipment. Anybody know what it actually does when it's out working on the rails?[/quote]
Couple of shots of the Amtrak Surfliner this weekend in Del Mar, CA.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sam S.
Firepics.net Moderator

Patrolman
Great Barrington Police Dept.
One more...

Attached Files Image(s)

Sam S.
Firepics.net Moderator

Patrolman
Great Barrington Police Dept.
I found these railcars sitting in Lakeville, NY back in 2004 when the WNY Volunteer FF's Convention was being held there. I'm not sure if they were there for the convention for the training seminars or not, or if it was just a coincidence, but anyways here they are. The first couple are very interesting as they are railcars but also pertain to Firefighting as well. BTW, Lakeville, NY is the one of the main depots for the Lakeville,Livoina,Avon RR, which is a shortline RR that runs from Rochester South through Lakeville, and covers a few other areas in Livingston, Wyoming and Monroe Counties.

A bit closer shot of the boxcar.

A view of the rest of the cars on this train.

And lastly here's a view of the LL&A RR maintenence building in Lakeville, NY. Hope you all enjoyed the pics.

Jeff Ambroz-Rochester,NY

Oops found one more picture from that day, here's the end of one of the tank cars on the train.