Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicago Fire Department
Does anyone have a up to date roster for all of O' Hare Airport Fire Apparatus?
Trey White
At FDIC, I asked a couple Rosenbauer reps from the factory and the Squads were not started as of then, now with that being said, it is very possible they are looking into the American LaFrance mess and possibly trying to come out with the rights and specs for the Snorkel that LaFrance would not let go of.
This is a friend's photo, maybe I missed it somewhere, but what is the story with the E Series ambulance? Is this something that is going to become a regular thing now?

Trav!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
I believe Ford is phasing out the E-series

I know they discontinued the Diesel engine option in it entirely not just in the ambulance prep package.

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
What....No film crew? lol
You can still get the E350 and up cut-a-way for ambulance,boxtruck,utility,etc....  I hope ford knows what there doing   I drive a Sprinter Van for 10hrs a day and I will say its a good design for gargo room and is easy to drive....sucks in the winter though!       And Im sure ford's "Heavy Duty" transit line will be less costly to fix  lol

Chicago's recent ambulance bid that was awarded to Wheeled Coach included both E and F series units.  Not sure why they did that.

The E-series chassis will be discontinued very soon.  I think it's supposed to be at some point this year.  It will be replaced with a version of their "Transit" model.  From the info I saw a few months back, they will initially only have offerings to replace the E-350s.  Not sure what the plan is for a E-450 replacement.

the E450's are supposed to go to smaller firehouses that dont fit the longer chassis

Quote:the E450's are supposed to go to smaller firehouses that dont fit the longer chassis
Sure, but the E-450 has a WB that is only 7 inches shorter than the F-series.  The cab is only a few inches shorter, but the body on a typical E-450 is around 20 inches longer than what they appear to be running on their current F-series units.  Without knowing the exact specs on the 2 units, I'm a bit skeptical that these units are actually shorter.  If a shorter unit is what they really needed, then the E-350 chassis would likely be a more appropriate choice.
Ford has announced that they will NOT be discontinuing the E-Series cut-away chassis...at least not for now.

Quote:At FDIC, I asked a couple Rosenbauer reps from the factory and the Squads were not started as of then, now with that being said, it is very possible they are looking into the American LaFrance mess and possibly trying to come out with the rights and specs for the Snorkel that LaFrance would not let go of.
Thanks for the information and it would make sense for a fire apparatus manufacturer to obtain the rights and the blue prints to build the Snorkel now the American La france is out of business. American La France should have sold off the rights  and specs for the Snorkel several years ago since they had stopped building the Snorkel. American La France was a selfish company for not allowing the Snorkel Specs to be used.

Personally I think that the Snorkel rights and specs should be made available to any fire apparatus manufacturer who is willing to build a Snorkel and put them on their chassis. This is apparently a new venture for Rosenbauer considering that in recent years Spartan Erv had gotten the "Lion"s Share" of Chicago's business.  I must admit that I would like to see both Spartan Erv and Pierce being able to build "Snorkel's" once again.

In this months FAJ they mention that the new chiefs cars have blue lights on either side of the light bars, any idea why the change from the traditional green light on the passenger side?
Well that would explain this then, announced yesterday (7/14) yes, while I know it's only a model, Greenlight is typically pretty accurate at representing what they're going after.

Trav!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Does anyone have 360 photos of Ex-Engine 23, the American LaFrance Eagle, that is now a Spare Squad?

Trav!

Quote:In this months FAJ they mention that the new chiefs cars have blue lights on either side of the light bars, any idea why the change from the traditional green light on the passenger side?
Not sure if this is the case but here in NY they are allowing "blue" on the rear of police,fire,ems units(some have put them facing forward) because they say the blue is better to spot as in "eye catching"   It replaces the amber color that was used for a few yrs.....some say its a safety thing.    I personaly like the green and wouldn't want to change the tradition.  You can light it up or change the colors all you want....There still not going tog et out the way any faster!
Are new Squads on order ??

Remember, it's their Emergency, not yours !  Arrive Alive !
Quote:Are new Squads on order ??
http://chicagoareafire.com/blog/tag/rose...r-chicago/
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
I thought that I heard that contract got cancelled due to delayed production/delivery, but that link said 5 years, anyone with a little more insight?

Trav!
Rumor is there's an enormous pissing match between someone at fleet for the city and Rosenbauer over change orders.  The builder won't make the changes for free, the city expects to pay nothing extra.