Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicago Fire Department
You would think with a contract this big there could be some give with cost.....What are we looking at a couple of Million? 

i think weve both run into that havent we chief? Smile

Quote:Rumor is there's an enormous pissing match between someone at fleet for the city and Rosenbauer over change orders.  The builder won't make the changes for free, the city expects to pay nothing extra.
Quote:i think weve both run into that havent we chief? Smile
There's a fine line between a genuine misunderstanding on a spec item and trying to take advantage of a builder.  Luckily I had some pretty awesome customers and the heartburn I dealt with was minimal.
yup very true most of the customers were very easy going and knew the stuff wasnt free that is what some of these big cities need to realize

Quote:There's a fine line between a genuine misunderstanding on a spec item and trying to take advantage of a builder.  Luckily I had some pretty awesome customers and the heartburn I dealt with was minimal.
After dealing with the City of Chicago Fleet Management on the now gone for good Mobile Air/ Oxygen rig they have their P's and Q's that must be followed, any variation from the manufacturer will not be tolerated and any exemptions are to be brought up during the "pre-build" meeting. Marion would not change their truck design per Chicago's requests or even give a list of exemptions and therefore the air truck was nixed. If you do not follow the spec sheet given to each manufacturer by Fleet you might as well not even bother coming to the pre build. I worked my ass off on the breathing air compressor/ cascade system and the medical oxygen part of the truck only to go into the meeting with all drawings, weights, and info on the equipment proposed and have Marion drop the ball and piss off the Supervisor of Fleet and 2 Special Ops chiefs. I look for the new squads to come from Smeal now, they will not have to re-invent the wheel now that they own the rights.

Is that more then a rumor?

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Can anyone tell me what 2 old ladder trucks were used as stunt crash doubles (although HORRIBLE LOOKING Not even close to the real truck)  on Chicago Fire lastnight?   

I thought they looked like older Seagraves...?
They were, like the 60's! They made a big effort to make them look like the new seagraves they have been using.....When 81 goes on its side you can tell right away.

The Truck 81 from the show was auctioned off a couple months ago on public surplus, so definetely wasn't it. Lol
I could be way off, but at least the "Truck 66" in the crash scene looked mid 80's - not sure of the model, but appeared (to me) to be similar to this:

http://rowleyfire.org/new/?page_id=110
Quote:I could be way off, but at least the "Truck 66" in the crash scene looked mid 80's - not sure of the model, but appeared (to me) to be similar to this:

http://rowleyfire.org/new/?page_id=110

I caught that too. Both Truck 81 & Truck 66 looked identical to the Seagrave Truck pictured in the link above. 

Kelvin Carter Jr.

Firefighter - Chillum-Adelphi VFD, Langley Park, MD
Any idea what this will be used for ?

https://www.firetruckmall.com/AvailableT...LY&Id=1157

I do have to agree that the trucks used for the crash were of the 80's vintage. Minus the damage they didn't look to be in to bad of shape.

John Fauble

I am interested in all of the equipment and apparatus used in fire fighting and ems service.
New Squad?
LOL the spare with the bad clutch looked worse than the stunt doubles!   You mean they wouldn't let them crash that one  Big Grin
Did the crash have anything to do with the fact that somebody previously stated that the truck 81 had been sold? is NBC using a newer truck now ?

Quote:Any idea what this will be used for ?

https://www.firetruckmall.com/AvailableT...LY&Id=1157

Not sure I follow your question ... this rig is from Hainesport, NJ.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:Not sure I follow your question ... this rig is from Hainesport, NJ.

If you go back the the New Deliveries page, it says that the cab and chassis were sold to Open 4 Business Productions, LLC-- NBC's Chicago Fire.
Given Chicago Fire is a reasonable success as a television program, I'm surprised no manufacturer has lent them fire apparatus, such as been done on other fire-related dramas in the past.
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Quote:If you go back the the New Deliveries page, it says that the cab and chassis were sold to Open 4 Business Productions, LLC-- NBC's Chicago Fire.

Thanks, I looked twice, but didn't catch that.  I appreciate it.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA