Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairfax County VA
None of the Fairfax County owned ladder trucks carry extrication equipment; I can't remember if any of the volunteer owned trucks (T422, TL405, T403 [FXCIty]) carry any which is okay for the quick and dirty door pop.  Unless they carry everything (winches, chains, struts, lots of cribbing) that a rescue does for stabilizing a vehicle, I see no need to fill up compartment space with power units, jaws/cutters/rams and hence, FXCO can stay with a RM ladders.  See my early comments on the evolution of tiller ladder trucks and size.  

Sr., I think all the tools on non-standard rigs are gone.  If they were not already they should have went when the new tools came in in the last year or so, of course that doesn't mean there isn't still something out there lurking.

As to what will be in the future I think anything is on the table.  Not any insight I have just my gut feeling from watching the Chief in the last couple of months.  I wouldn't be surprised to see tools on tillers, 4 on every rig, less rescues in service, less trucks in service, stations with only engines, stations with only medic units, chase cars, the Hazmat rigs go to cross staffing, hell, Rescues go cross staffing, all ALS or a Deputy Chief named Bigfoot or the Lock Ness Monster.  My point is, this is the most shake up this department has since the last time a chief came across the river and good or bad, I think we've only just begun and we will look very different in 5 years.  

On an apparatus note, Dunn Loring's two new transport units should begin building very soon.  Once built I'll post pictures from Horton when we do final on them.  
Thanks Chief, I still have a direct connect at 13-C among other places.

At least Roto-Rays are coming back!

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
And the gods smiled down from Olympus!

A couple of older volunteer units are now serving other departments outside of Fairfax County.

This year Vienna placed into service a new Pierce engine.  It replaced a 1989 Pierce Lance  1250/500 with job number E4588.

The Salem, Virginia VFD in Culpeper County now runs the 1989 Pierce as their Engine 8.

Nice to see Billy Ellis at Salem.  He was the former Vienna VFD Chief and now resides in the Salem area.  He made a special trip to the station to move out Engine 8 for photographs.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Another old Vienna truck is also in service at Salem (starting to see a Vienna - Salem connection here).

Canteen 8 is a 1977 Chevrolet Step Van 30 built by Yankee.

This originally started out as the Fairfax County Fire Marshall's Arson Lab.  In approximately 2003, it was converted to a canteen unit for Vienna and ran as Canteen 402.  Salem received the truck in 2011.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
This engine was quite busy when in Fairfax County while running at Station 10 in Bailey's Cross Roads.

The Mathias-Baker VFD in Hardy County, West Virginia currently runs this 1988 Pierce Arrow (1997 rehab by Singer) 1500/500 with job number E4168.  The Pierce, originally painted in Bailey's lime/white, was purchased by Mathias-Baker in 2001 and given some red paint.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Nice pics Mike.   A couple of old work-horses from back in the day and a couple of the first Pierce rigs in Fairfax County.

Thanks Mike, seeing those brings back some memories.

Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.

While headed eastbound on the Ohio Turnpike last Sunday, I came across a Pierce Velocity convoy.  My daughter took these pictures out the back window and forwarded them to me.  Sorry about the quality.  This is Engine 404, nicely laid out.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department

Engine 440

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Engine 442

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Thanks for posting those! I have to say the last few batch of Velocity Pumpers have looked great compared to  E432 and the 6 from 2010.

Trey White
Quote:Thanks for posting those! I have to say the last few batch of Velocity Pumpers have looked great compared to  E432 and the 6 from 2010.
Your welcome.  Sorry they weren't better but I think she did a good job.  They are a nice short wheel base and I like the hose bed lay out.  Also, before we came across these, I passed a 95' Seagrave Aerialscope being towed to New York City.  All markings covered though.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Too bad they won't retrofit RotoRay. Pretty simple fix.
Maybe the new chief will order enough for them.

How did you guys convince the bosses to switch back to those mirrors? I can't stand the bus style.

Quote:Too bad they won't retrofit RotoRay. Pretty simple fix.

And the rescue engines bodies that the Dashes had

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
I came across another ex- Fairfax County engine this weekend.

Stanley, Virginia in Page County operates an old McLean engine.

Engine 26 for Stanley is this 1986 Pierce Arrow  1250/750 with job number E3202.  In 1996, it was sold to the Sperryville, Virginia VFD where it ran until 2009.  In December of 2009, Stanley purchased the Pierce from Sperryville where it runs today as Engine 26. 

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA