Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairfax County VA
Quote:I came across another ex- Fairfax County engine this weekend.

Stanley, Virginia in Page County operates an old McLean engine.

Engine 26 for Stanley is this 1986 Pierce Arrow  1250/750 with job number E3202.  In 1996, it was sold to the Sperryville, Virginia VFD where it ran until 2009.  In December of 2009, Stanley purchased the Pierce from Sperryville where it runs today as Engine 26. 

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Thanks Mike, lots of memories on this rig.
So has anymore been mentioned on the Tiller that Fairfax is getting?

Trey White
Quote:So has anymore been mentioned on the Tiller that Fairfax is getting?

Yes Trey specs are still being worked out but the letter of intent to purchase (unknown number but rumor is three, Co. 10, 25, 29) has been signed and they will most likely be identical to Montgomery's Tillers. I have heard that they will have a rescue compartment too, but not to extensive maybe just a spreader and cutter  just enough to get the extrication started because the squad guys would kill the truckies if they finished the job before they marked on scene. The career staff at my station actually formed a Tiller Justification packet for the Chief and he was very pleased with it!
Firefighter - Arlington County Fire Department

Tower Co. 4 - C platoon 

"The Rat Pack"

Former Firefighter - Bailey's Crossroads VFD
So identical to Montgomery means no Velocity Tillers Smile

Trey White
The hardest part will be trying to find a nice spot big enough for photos near 10, 25, and 29's stations. Lol. Looking forward to seeing the new units!
Bad move all the way around....see my earlier post on this topic.  

Quote:The hardest part will be trying to find a nice spot big enough for photos near 10, 25, and 29's stations. Lol. Looking forward to seeing the new units!
I have one for 10 & 29. 25 is the Hard One!
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Tim Ill be in FXCO for 3 days next week. I need the new E429 and planned on stopping there first thing in the morning when the sun is right on the front apron. Where  do you usually take them at 29?

Trey White
Understand, I got nothing against a tiller ladder truck, in fact, I considered it a religious experience to watch Truck 9 swing out onto U Street with the Q pegged and the tillerman dragging the trailer a little bit in the other lane as they responded on box alarm in their own 4th Battalion.  After over 20 years of rear mount aerials being used in Fairfax County, I fail to understand the justification for their purchase.  Please send me a private message with the details of how the TDA out performs the current rear-mount spec. 

For a size check on a Pierce TDA, check out one of the latest pics by Terry Dawson ... 

http://www.firepics.net/groupboards/inde...22&page=84

Rest assured, if Fairfax County buys them they will be at least this big if not bigger, the tiller might as well have blinders on because all he or she will be able to see is a bunch of ladder and not the cab.   Bigger stopped being better a while ago, look at how much discussion there was on the "ideal" sized Pierce Arrow XT's that ACFD purchased when a FXCO Velocity was benchmarked against them.  And, I think dollar for dollar, I could get four more rear-mount aerials instead of three TDA's.  

There are some functionally sized tillers being sold that do work in dense urban areas; LAFD operates nothing but TDA's and check out the latest KME TDA's being delivered to Atlanta (GA) as well as the Seagraves being operated by DCFD.  Those particular Seagraves "won't work" in Fairfax County because the tip load is not heavy enough for the almost daily stokes basket operations (insert snarky laugh) that occur within the Kingdom of Fairfax County and KME cannot meet the section (not sure if it's still there) of the purchase contract which stipulates "vendor must have authorized dealer within 25 miles of Fairfax County"  

Oh, and when the TDA's go in for service or repair what will they be replaced with from the reserve fleet?  A rear mount.

Really, if anybody has the "Tiler Justification Packet", send it to me.  Please.
Quote:So identical to Montgomery means no Velocity Tillers Smile
We can only hope.
Quote:Understand, I got nothing against a tiller ladder truck, in fact, I considered it a religious experience to watch Truck 9 swing out onto U Street with the Q pegged and the tillerman dragging the trailer a little bit in the other lane as they responded on box alarm in their own 4th Battalion.  After over 20 years of rear mount aerials being used in Fairfax County, I fail to understand the justification for their purchase.  Please send me a private message with the details of how the TDA out performs the current rear-mount spec. 

For a size check on a Pierce TDA, check out one of the latest pics by Terry Dawson ... 

http://www.firepics.net/groupboards/inde...22&page=84

Rest assured, if Fairfax County buys them they will be at least this big if not bigger, the tiller might as well have blinders on because all he or she will be able to see is a bunch of ladder and not the cab.   Bigger stopped being better a while ago, look at how much discussion there was on the "ideal" sized Pierce Arrow XT's that ACFD purchased when a FXCO Velocity was benchmarked against them.  And, I think dollar for dollar, I could get four more rear-mount aerials instead of three TDA's.  

There are some functionally sized tillers being sold that do work in dense urban areas; LAFD operates nothing but TDA's and check out the latest KME TDA's being delivered to Atlanta (GA) as well as the Seagraves being operated by DCFD.  Those particular Seagraves "won't work" in Fairfax County because the tip load is not heavy enough for the almost daily stokes basket operations (insert snarky laugh) that occur within the Kingdom of Fairfax County and KME cannot meet the section (not sure if it's still there) of the purchase contract which stipulates "vendor must have authorized dealer within 25 miles of Fairfax County"  

Oh, and when the TDA's go in for service or repair what will they be replaced with from the reserve fleet?  A rear mount.

Really, if anybody has the "Tiler Justification Packet", send it to me.  Please.

Well it could be a ALF because they meet the "mileage requirement" as well and I understand KME might have a service center to meet that as well in the near future. I don't know if the requirement applies for just suppression units because Horton or Braun don't have service centers that meet that.   

As for tip loads on TDA's many MFG's its the style and set up length of the outriggers that increases the tip load not a bigger heavier ladder i.e. Seagrave and ALF.

McLean VFD of Fairfax County is in the pre-construction phase of a new Pierce pumper.  As I understand, it will be a "county-spec" Velocity paid for partially by McLean VFD and Fairfax County.  Tentatively, it will be painted McLean VFD's color scheme and equipped with a Roto-Ray.

Pre Construction phase means its not being built yet right? Why are they ordering a new Pumper when the county just gave them a semi new Pumper a few years ago. Maybe it will be Engine 401 Bravo. Any more info on the Tillers. I see nothing ordered yet?

Trey White
Quote:McLean VFD of Fairfax County is in the pre-construction phase of a new Pierce pumper.  As I understand, it will be a "county-spec" Velocity paid for partially by McLean VFD and Fairfax County.  Tentatively, it will be painted McLean VFD's color scheme and equipped with a Roto-Ray.

They have changed the color scheme to gun metal gray over red!
Firefighter - Arlington County Fire Department

Tower Co. 4 - C platoon 

"The Rat Pack"

Former Firefighter - Bailey's Crossroads VFD
The current E401 was E407 from the academy.  It was intended to be a shorter term solution to the 1997 engine the volunteers owned being too strung out to be a frontline rig.  It's taken some time extra to get things in motion to replace it permanently, some of that is on the volunteers and some on the County. 

Sr is correct it is a partnership agreement between the County and the volunteers and it is to be marked McLean VFD with the in partnership lettering that we have all taken to in one form or another.  I've also heard about the grey over red is being looked at.  And the reason for the partnership is partly the cost of rigs these days -vs- what a VFD, especially one without bingo can afford and partly shortsightedness on the part of a former (and not the last) administration on the County side. 

Don't have a clue if the current E401 goes back to the academy or not, that's a fleet decision and I've got a pumper with a blown motor to follow up on and two transports being built - I'll keep to my little chrome yellow world one due south. Smile 

Quote:Pre Construction phase means its not being built yet right? Why are they ordering a new Pumper when the county just gave them a semi new Pumper a few years ago. Maybe it will be Engine 401 Bravo. Any more info on the Tillers. I see nothing ordered yet?
Anyone know the future status of the Reserve Eones? How many will remain once the 3] 2013 Pumpers go in? I also heard that a new Tower,Tiller,Rescue and 3 Pumpers are soon to be ordered aside from the one that Mclean will order.

Trey White
3 New RM Towers marked for 24, 30, and 40 are sitting at the North shop. I believe there will be no more E\-One front line trucks and 1 MM Tower left front line at 8. I understand that a new RM Tower won't fit in 8 so they might get a straight truck reassigned to get the MM out of there for now.

Are you sure they have a  RM Tower for Tower 440? I only know about 24 and 30.

Trey White
Quote:Are you sure they have a  RM Tower for Tower 440? I only know about 24 and 30.
The big gold numbers that say 440 on it might be a clue but then again I could be wrong
A friend was there Tuesday. He photographed 424 and 430, but they were the only two there. Unknown on 440.