Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sedan cab apparatus, 1975 or older
In 1965, Hahn built their first sedan cab, cab forward pumper.  It was built on the AutoCar CF chassis and featured a TCM (Cincinnati) cab.  The 750/1000 pumper was sold to Ferndale, MD

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

As I already stated, the Fire Companies in Lewistown, PA were very fond of fully enclosed apparatus.  The Brooklyn Hose Company #3 seemed to have the most of them in their history.  They had a 1940 Buffalo van-style pumper and a 1951 American LaFrance sedan cab 700 Series pumper, along with the 1961 International/Bruco I posted above.  They also had this rig, built on an International 4x4 chassis of 1965-1968 vintage.  The utility body carried a 250 GPM pump and a small tank.  If anyone knows the exact year, the tank size or the body builder, don't be shy.

Norvelt, PA used to run this 1954 Ford Big Job/Howe 600/500 sedan cab pumper.  Hopefully, this one still survives!

Quote:As I alrewady stated, the Fire Companies in Lewistown, PA were very fond of fully enclosed apparatus.  The Brooklyn Hose Company #3 seemed to have the most of them in their history.  They had a 1940 Buffalo van-style pumper and a 1951 American LaFrance sedan cab 700 Series pumper, along with the 1961 International/Bruco I posted above.  They also had this rig, built on an International 4x4 chassis of 1965-1968 vintage.  The utility body carried a 250 GPM pump and a small tank.  If anyone knows the exact year, the tank size or the body builder, don't be shy.
I HAVE IT LISTED AS A 1968 WITH 150 GAL. DON'T KNOW THE BUILDER THOUGH
Quote:In the early 1950's, Ward LaFrance won a contract to supply the U.S. Air Force with new pumpers.  Between 1953 and 1956, 662 Model CW-750A's were delivered to Air Force bases around the world.  Commonly called the 750A, or "Crackerbox", these rigs carried a 750 GPM pump, 175 gallon tank and 40 gallon foam tank.  Tanks were sometimes increased to 300 gallons.  After service with the Air Force, many of these rigs served in Civilian departments.  Haletown, TN ran this one for several years.
The Tonka prototype!  

Attached Files Image(s)

John Kenealy

[url="http://www.cnyfiretrucks.com"]CNYFiretrucks.com: Over 5200 photos of apparatus from over 1000 New York State Departments![/url]

[Image: IMAG0400.jpg] New York
Quote:In the early 1950's, Ward LaFrance won a contract to supply the U.S. Air Force with new pumpers.  Between 1953 and 1956, 662 Model CW-750A's were delivered to Air Force bases around the world.  Commonly called the 750A, or "Crackerbox", these rigs carried a 750 GPM pump, 175 gallon tank and 40 gallon foam tank.  Tanks were sometimes increased to 300 gallons.  After service with the Air Force, many of these rigs served in Civilian departments.  Haletown, TN ran this one for several years.
Looks like something a kid would draw when told to draw a fire truck. UGLY but I guess it got the job done.

John Fauble

I am interested in all of the equipment and apparatus used in fire fighting and ems service.
The US Forest Service adopted enclosed cabs long before they were required. The Model 51 and 60 were introduced in the late 60s to replace designs with open crew benches behind the cab.

1968 Ford F700 Model 51

96 gpm aux pump

300 gallon tank

Photo credit USFS Archives

Attached Files Image(s)

Aaron Woods
US Forest Service

1968 International Model 60

260 gpm single stage PTO pump

500 gallon tank

Photo Credit USFS Archives

Aaron Woods
Quote:I HAVE IT LISTED AS A 1968 WITH 150 GAL. DON'T KNOW THE BUILDER THOUGH
Thanks, Dave!

Quote:The Tonka prototype!  
I remember that Tonka, never made the connection before.  Thanks, John!

The posts that have been added have been awesome.  Keep them coming!
Quote:Norvelt, PA used to run this 1954 Ford Big Job/Howe 600/500 sedan cab pumper.  Hopefully, this one still survives!

Awesome rig but long gone, at least with Norvelt.
Hardy, William C

Larimer VFD, Westmoreland County Station 1

Westinghouse Waltz Mill VFB, Westmoreland County Station 116
An early four door cab built by the F. L. Anderson Company of Baltimore Maryland.  This 1942 White delivered to the Jessup VFD in Anne Arundel County Maryland, had a very small 500gpm front mount pump.  The ladders were stored overhead and the hard sleeves in a compartment accessed from the rear on the drivers side.  Ironically, it was involved in a rollover accident with a fuel truck only one month after it was placed in service.  Burned beyond repair, it was never returned to service.  The three firefighters on board received only minor injuries.  Unknown photgrapher, F. L. Anderson Company archives.

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:An early four door cab built by the F. L. Anderson Company of Baltimore Maryland.  This 1942 White delivered to the Jessup VFD in Anne Arundel County Maryland, had a very small 500gpm front mount pump.  The ladders were stored overhead and the hard sleeves in a compartment accessed from the rear on the drivers side.  Ironically, it was involved in a rollover accident with a fuel truck only one month after it was placed in service.  Burned beyond repair, it was never returned to service.  The three firefighters on board received only minor injuries.  Unknown photgrapher, F. L. Anderson Company archives.
Charlie, I'll say that no one would even know about this if not for your book/research!
Quote:As I already stated, the Fire Companies in Lewistown, PA were very fond of fully enclosed apparatus.  The Brooklyn Hose Company #3 seemed to have the most of them in their history.  They had a 1940 Buffalo van-style pumper and a 1951 American LaFrance sedan cab 700 Series pumper, along with the 1961 International/Bruco I posted above.  They also had this rig, built on an International 4x4 chassis of 1965-1968 vintage.  The utility body carried a 250 GPM pump and a small tank.  If anyone knows the exact year, the tank size or the body builder, don't be shy.

Quote:As I already stated, the Fire Companies in Lewistown, PA were very fond of fully enclosed apparatus.  The Brooklyn Hose Company #3 seemed to have the most of them in their history.  They had a 1940 Buffalo van-style pumper and a 1951 American LaFrance sedan cab 700 Series pumper, along with the 1961 International/Bruco I posted above.  They also had this rig, built on an International 4x4 chassis of 1965-1968 vintage.  The utility body carried a 250 GPM pump and a small tank.  If anyone knows the exact year, the tank size or the body builder, don't be shy.
Reading body. This rig was purchased from Dauphin-Middle Paxton Fire Co.
Patrick Shoop Sr.

Lewistown, PA.
Unique 1957 Chevy/ALF 750/500, driver side

Brunswick VFD,Frederick Co.,MD.

J. Floyd color photo (1983)

ALF factory photo

According to company history, BVFD refered to this as Jimmy Dean's engine, since a series of concerts with Dean and his Texas Wildcats were the primary fundraiser. Back then J. Dean was an up and coming country artist, breakfast sausages and sandwiches came later.

Image(s)

Officers side of Brunswick's Chevy/ALF

ALF factory photo

1983 color photo by J.Floyd

Originally painted ALF red, in late 1970's was slimed after accident damage (BVFD was slime from 1973-83)

Image(s)

Quote:US Forest Service

1968 International Model 60

260 gpm single stage PTO pump

500 gallon tank

Photo Credit USFS Archives
I spy a B&M super chief siren!!! neat!!!
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Quote:Unique 1957 Chevy/ALF 750/500, driver side

Brunswick VFD,Frederick Co.,MD.

J. Floyd color photo (1983)

ALF factory photo

According to company history, BVFD refered to this as Jimmy Dean's engine, since a series of concerts with Dean and his Texas Wildcats were the primary fundraiser. Back then J. Dean was an up and coming country artist, breakfast sausages and sandwiches came later.
Pirsch ladder peaking out in the background.
John Fauble

I am interested in all of the equipment and apparatus used in fire fighting and ems service.
This 1973 Ward LaFrance Vantage 1000/500 began life with the North Versailles FD, but was soon sold a few miles away to Grapeville, PA.  It was later refurbed by Page-Lambert. and later sold to a department in Missouri.

Hamlin, PA operated this former Air Force 1956 Ward LaFrance 750A as Engine 5.  It was a 750/300.

Peter Pirsch began offering this style of sedan cab apparatus as far back as 1938.  This Model 41C was purchased by Bloomington, MN in 1964.  The 1250/500 pumper was photographed next to a gas station near Micanopy, FL off I-75 several years ago.