Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Crusaders

On Tuesday may 23 1995 Engine 2 was totaled in an accident. It was a LODD 1 firefighter killed and the another was paralyzed. I believe they blew a tire on the way to a fire alarm (which turned out false) on interstate 465 and it rolled over.   [/quote]

It was actually at Holt Rd and Raymond St. Hit center median and rolled.
Quote: 

On Tuesday may 23 1995 Engine 2 was totaled in an accident. It was a LODD 1 firefighter killed and the another was paralyzed. I believe they blew a tire on the way to a fire alarm (which turned out false) on interstate 465 and it rolled over.   

It was actually at Holt Rd and Raymond St. Hit center median and rolled.

[/quote]
 thank you for the location update i was always told i465 . 
Virginia Beach had two Crusaders. The first one manufactured was a 1967 (67-160) 1000 gpm model that was labeled for Princess Anne Courthouse Vol Fire Dept. The one for Kempsville VFD was a 1969 (69-286) 1000 gpm. As far as the rescue style bodies, I show in order: 1. Kenilworth, 2. West Islip (Vanguard Eng Co), 3. West Islip (Mohawk Eng Co.), 4. Harrison NY, and 5 Elmsmere NY. The one originally delivered to Penfield NY acquired a similar body sometime in its life but is now lettered for Heiserville VFD. Chincoteague VA acquired high side compartments during a refurb. A good source of information is from the excellent book Young Fire Equipment 1932-1991 by Leo Duliba and Tom Shand.

Quote:Kempsville Volunteers - Virginia Beach, VA - another classy white with gold leaf. I may be mistaken, but I believe this was the first engine ever produced. It WAS red- then painted white. After she served Kempsville I believe she went out west- where she was painted lime at some point..   ....   ... but is now back to a private collector in VA to receive a makeover. Correct me if I'm wrong..
  There were actually 2 Young Crusaders delivered to Va. Beach   The very first Crusader built which was a Demo unit for Young was bought by the Princess Anne CourtHouse vol. Fire Dept. Co. 5    It was Red and then Kempsville bought theirs. I believe Kempsville's unit had a 750 water tank and the the Courthouse's had a 500 gallon water tank.  I have a photo of the red one I will try to find and post. 
Those are some great looking rigs.

Dave
Millbrook FC of Randolph Twp, NJ Eng 622 was this 1971 Young Crusader 1000/500

Attached Files Image(s)

A Young Crusader from Virginia

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote: 

[Image: attachicon.gif]lores5.jpg

These are beautiful machines. And this particular one, I got to put the hammer down down the road   Wub  See ya at Pump Primers!  3_12_21
Wayne Township Engine 1-1990

Photo Courtesy of Wayne Then and Now

Wayne Township Engine 2-1989

Photo Courtesy Wayne Township Then and Now

Was totaled in accident 5-99

Attached Files Image(s)

Wayne Township Engine 4-1989

Photo Courtesy of Wayne Township Then and Now

Attached Files Image(s)

Wayne Township Engine 4 after Refurb

Photo Courtesy of Larry "Lumpy" Stahl

Attached Files Image(s)

Wayne Township Engine 9-1989

Attached Files Image(s)

Wayne Township Engine 10-1990

Attached Files Image(s)

Wayne Township Engine 10 after Refurb

Attached Files Image(s)

Wayne Township Engine 21/Training Engine-1990

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:Wayne Township Engine 21/Training Engine-1990

Just curious about the six different apparatus colors used by Wayne Township in 1989-90 - can anyone elaborate on what the reasoning was? Unsure

Back in 89 with the first 3 delivered. Chief Lamb gave the stations 2, 4, and 9 membership a choice of 5 colors to chose from for their engines. He had done his research for visibility and the 5 colors gave the most out of the tradition red. Station 2 had light green apparatus, so they went with the fluorescent green. Station 4 and 9 went to the Fluorescent Red even though it looked orange. With the last 3 young engines that were 1990. They were suppose to be S&S engines, but S&S went out of business. So Chief Lamb went to Young and ordered 3 more engines identical to specs.. Only difference was that in that time we had some ambulances painted in the pearl white and everyone like the pearl white so station 1 went to the pearl white engine. Station 10 went to the Fluorescent Green cause they did not like the Red. Engine 21 was the dedicated Training Engine, because they were tired of using having to jump around to get an engine from the other stations. Engine 21 which was Station 2 second engine or when the training division needed it. Engine 21 came in John Deere Green cause Chief Lamb like the color. So they ordered it that way. Originally Engine 21 was suppose to be Engine 41, because Station 4 was centrally located in the township. But we did not want the hassle of having two engine crews and then the training engine going out of service for training and a crew not being able to ride cause of no engine. Then when Engine 2 was totaled in a rollover accident going to a false alarm. Then Engine 21 become the primary engine till their HME/Luverne engine came in. Wayne Township ran two Engines out of each station.

Station 1-Engine 1 and Engine 11

Station 2-Engine 2 and Engine 21

Station 4-Engine 4 and Engine 41

Station 9-Engine 9 and Engine 91

Station 10-Engine 10 and Engine 10-1
1 of 7 Crusader II's for Arlington County,VA., this was the older 2-door style.

E-77 was running this 1984 1250/500 model in the summer of 1992.

WW Jenkins photo

Later version of a Crusader II for Arlington County,VA.

E-75 had this 1989 1250/500 with the folding crew doors, these would be removed on this engine in a 1994 refurb.

1992 photo by WW Jenkins