Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Alexandria, VA Fire Department
Dave, quick correction on Jim's name, its Featherstone. He's got a nice CustomFire pumper from North Oldham, KY for a few weeks, and it happens to be on display at the Virginia Fire Chiefs Association this weekend.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
[quote name='Roto-Ray' timestamp='1298606964' post='426835']

Dave, quick correction on Jim's name, its Featherstone. He's got a nice CustomFire pumper from North Oldham, KY for a few weeks, and it happens to be on display at the Virginia Fire Chiefs Association this weekend.

[/quote]

Taylor, thanks for the correction, it was a type, I should have re-read what I typed. The Duluth rig would be a better spec for an urban environment like Alexandria but I have seen shots of the North Oldham rig and it looks nice. Custom does good work.
Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
I have been busy and missed this.....

Alexandria FD was awarded a SAFER grant to increase staffing by 12 firefighters.

The 12 new positions will allow AFD to meet NFPA 1710 standard for minimum staffing levels on 4 of the 8 city Engine Companies.

http://alexandriava.gov/fire/info/news_f...x?id=45864

Congratulations to AFD.....
Dave McClung

express permission.
I didn't get to shoot much in Alexandria this trip. I will change that in September.

I will post what I have (it really is only two rigs) when I get back but here is a preview. There has been some question on what Alexandria did with the old Light and Air rig. It is still around, parked outside of Station 206 hooked up to a Technical Rescue Team trailer.

Dave McClung

express permission.

Dave McClung

express permission.

Dave McClung

express permission.
Truck 208

Dave McClung

express permission.

Dave McClung

express permission.

Dave McClung

express permission.
No new apparatus order news for Alexandria.

There are a few rumors. They may be looking at a truck similar to Truck 208 to go to Truck 204. If that happens the current Truck 204 would go to the reserve pool and the current reserve truck (the LTI tiller) would be disposed of.

They are tossing around the idea of replacing 3-4 engines. They are also investigating adding 2" attack line to the pumpers. All pumpers have now received 4" LDH.
Dave McClung

express permission.
[quote name='Dave McClung' timestamp='1309137780' post='445740']

No new apparatus order news for Alexandria.

There are a few rumors. They may be looking at a truck similar to Truck 208 to go to Truck 204. If that happens the current Truck 204 would go to the reserve pool and the current reserve truck (the LTI tiller) would be disposed of.

They are tossing around the idea of replacing 3-4 engines. They are also investigating adding 2" attack line to the pumpers. All pumpers have now received 4" LDH.

[/quote]

Too bad they made so many changes, I'm sure they were for good reasons at the time..205 always had a tiller truck before they decided to move the truck to 204
Remember, it's their Emergency, not yours !  Arrive Alive !
Great pics and info from Alexandria Dave...
Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Dave,

When I visited Alexandria they had mentioned that the department was looking, and pretty much on board with the idea of leasing apparatus like Arlington does. Any word on that?
[quote name='Shoop' timestamp='1309218642' post='445844']

Dave,

When I visited Alexandria they had mentioned that the department was looking, and pretty much on board with the idea of leasing apparatus like Arlington does. Any word on that?

[/quote]

Patrick, no I didn't hear that but that doesn't mean it isn't something they are investigating. They could easily tag onto the Arlington County multi-year contract with AES/Pierce that is a lease option. They are talking about one pumper spec as opposed to what they have now - all 8 are Pierce pumpers but build on 5 different specs. That would mean that pretty much any pumper they get would need to be short wheel base to fit in Station 201. Having one spec would mean you could set one SOP for what equipment is carried on the pumpers and allow each unit to have the equipment in the same compartment from company to company.

In order to do this I would think they would need to staff full time Rescue 206 because they would have to do away with the extrication engines at 204 and 207 unless you build the need for rescue equipment into the common spec.

For those of you that remember that Engines 201 and 202 have 1000 GPM pumps to allow the shorter wheelbase to allow them to fit into the stations.....202 is now at 209 and that isn't a problem and once they put 201 in the station they realized that they did have the space for a longer pumper.

I didn't do as much shooting at AFD stations as I normally do this last trip. I will do more shooting in Alexandria in September and I will ask about the lease option then.
Dave McClung

express permission.
Here is a topic under scuttlebutt about AFD and apparatus bids.

http://www.firepics.net/groupboards/inde...opic=18635

Here is an article talking about the apparatus issues the department faces...

http://www.alextimes.com/news/2011/apr/0...ire-engin/
Dave McClung

express permission.
[quote name='Dave McClung' timestamp='1309219350' post='445854']

Patrick, no I didn't hear that but that doesn't mean it isn't something they are investigating. They could easily tag onto the Arlington County multi-year contract with AES/Pierce that is a lease option. They are talking about one pumper spec as opposed to what they have now - all 8 are Pierce pumpers but build on 5 different specs. That would mean that pretty much any pumper they get would need to be short wheel base to fit in Station 201. Having one spec would mean you could set one SOP for what equipment is carried on the pumpers and allow each unit to have the equipment in the same compartment from company to company.

In order to do this I would think they would need to staff full time Rescue 206 because they would have to do away with the extrication engines at 204 and 207 unless you build the need for rescue equipment into the common spec.

For those of you that remember that Engines 201 and 202 have 1000 GPM pumps to allow the shorter wheelbase to allow them to fit into the stations.....202 is now at 209 and that isn't a problem and once they put 201 in the station they realized that they did have the space for a longer pumper.

I didn't do as much shooting at AFD stations as I normally do this last trip. I will do more shooting in Alexandria in September and I will ask about the lease option then.

[/quote]

That's funny that wheelbase length was even a concern at all for Station 201, considering that there used to be a tiller truck running out of that station at one time many moons ago. Unless of course they did a remodel and used up some of that depth in the bays. Just sayin.....
Remember, it's their Emergency, not yours !  Arrive Alive !
[quote name='Ian Buchanan' timestamp='1245613701' post='315527']

Got a few shots of Truck 208 today...now if I can figure out how to upload them...

[/quote]

Any idea what the city paid for this tiller?

Jeff Hawkins
I know some of these have been posted but ill add them again

Engine 203-2001 Pierce Dash 1250/750/40 job # 12813-01    
Trey White
Engine 205-2001 Pierce Dash 1250/750/40 job # 12813-02    
Trey White
Engine 206-1998 Pierce Dash 1250/500    
Trey White