Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles
Colington recently received this 1998 AMC through the NC Forestry (ex- military). They plan on re-painting it to red and running it as "Storm 15".

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Colington also has Rehab 15, a 2001 Ford E/AEV that was previously a Dare County ambulance. Colington members did the conversion work.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Boat 15 is kept at a marina several miles away and is a 2005 M&S Fire Rescue Boat (built in Indiana).

It has the capacity to flow 2200 gpm's for a deluge gun, 5" stortz valve, or a 2.5 discharge. It also has a "landing craft" bow, which can open 70 degrees below the water line to bring on divers, swimmers, etc.

This is a photo of Boat 15 coming into the dock.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Chief 15 has this 2006 Ford Expedition equipped by the FD. I believe another similar truck will be ordered in the near future.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last from Colington is Station 15.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last group of photos from my trip this August come from Corolla. A couple of surprises here.

Brush 61 is a 2007 Ford F350. The only other information I have on it is that is has a 300 gallon tank and carries some foam. Corolla's old Brush truck, the Dodge pick up, is now a beach rescue. The skid package from the Dodge was donated to a FD near Elizabeth City, NC.

Lesson learned on this - I took some of my kids and nieces to the Corolla Light House and forgot my main digital camera. Since we were near the station, I made a real quick detour with the promise of being very fast (amazing....some of the young kids are not fans of fire trucks.....yet). I had to use the pocket digital, so I will be back to Corolla next year for other photos.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here was the real surprise at Corolla, which I took after filling up with gas for the return home to Virginia. Very cloudy with scattered showers, which gives me the excuse to visit Corolla next year for additional photos.

The Beach Rescue's are quite busy at Corolla. I never saw the Dodge brush truck because it was out on the beach and a Ford F pick up was also assigned to beach work.

Here is Ocean Rescue 63, built locally in Corolla by a man who has military knowledge.

It is a 2008 Joyner Trooper 1100cc 4x4/Local. Note the four seats and area for the backboard.

I was told it gets a lot of attention when it is out on the beach.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
And the other side of Ocean Rescue 63, which gives a better view of this unique "truck".

That is it for this year's OBX updates. I plan on making it to the Outer Banks next year several times and will add information and photos as I get them.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Next time I get down I'll have to make the rounds. Looks like some great photo ops. Nice shots Mike.
Brett Mack

Firemedic - Reading Fire B Shift

mackfirephotos.smugmug.com

readingpafire.com

Jeez...... I feel like I just visited. Well......almost!!!! Thanks Mike. Great job as usual.

Jerry
I really like Nags Head Engine 21. It looks real sharp. Didn't E-21 have a E\-One at one time?
ff556,

You are indeed correct. When FS21 opened, they were running an E\-One. It was a 1995 E\-One Sentry that formerly ran as Engine 16/Engine 162. It had a 1250 pump with 750 gallons of water and E\-One #15108. It is currently back at FS16 running as Engine 161.

Jerry
mnsand. Is there alot of room for employment and jobs in the OBX area? Fire ems wise. Ive got my eye on ocean city but am curious on other beach citys.
rpatterson33,

I'll try to help you out. Maybe Mike has not seen your request as yet. I know he is busy this week trying to catch up from vacation week. There are career departments in Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Carolla, and I believe Southern Shores (not positive). Quite a few of the departments there are still volunteer companies. This is in Dare County. Currituck County is in the beginning stages of career hiring. All companies are still volunteer with career assistance. In Currituck, they cross staff the engine or medic with only two (I believe) personnel. Moyock, also in Currituck County, has a career staff of four. Dare County has a separate EMS service which is all career to the best of my knowledge. One of the problems for career firefighters in the OBX area is the high cost of housing. Many who work in the "Resort" area departments live elsewhere and travel to work. Maybe Mike can shead more light on your request. I hope this helps. I'm not sure which if any department is currently hiring. They all have websites you can check.

Jerry
Jerry thanks, i just reposted because i wasnt sure if he missed it or not but its all good. Thanks for the help.
Great review of the OBX departments. Spent a day on the OBX last week traveling from Hilton Head to NJ. Very impressed with resources available. Not apparatus but this thread seems to be all things OBX.

Nags Head's South Fire Station.

Nags Head's main station

Kill Devil Hills

Southern Shores' West Station. Dare County EMS Station 2 on the far end.

Duck. Thats all I got. Hopefully a future vacation spot