Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles
[quote name='firemag' post='241936' date='Aug 27 2008, 17:10 ']rpatterson33,

I'll try to help you out. Maybe Mike has not seen your request as yet. I know he is busy this week trying to catch up from vacation week. There are career departments in Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Carolla, and I believe Southern Shores (not positive). Quite a few of the departments there are still volunteer companies. This is in Dare County. Currituck County is in the beginning stages of career hiring. All companies are still volunteer with career assistance. In Currituck, they cross staff the engine or medic with only two (I believe) personnel. Moyock, also in Currituck County, has a career staff of four. Dare County has a separate EMS service which is all career to the best of my knowledge. One of the problems for career firefighters in the OBX area is the high cost of housing. Many who work in the "Resort" area departments live elsewhere and travel to work. Maybe Mike can shead more light on your request. I hope this helps. I'm not sure which if any department is currently hiring. They all have websites you can check.

Jerry[/quote]

My apologies for the late post....I have not checked firepics in a few days.

Not much more to add than what Jerry did (thanks Jerry). One item.....I do not think Southern Shores (2 stations) has career staff. Dare County EMS runs from their substation, but I believe that is EMS only. Corrections welcome.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Jerry,

Thank you for the info. ff556

[quote name='firemag' post='241915' date='Aug 27 2008, 15:19 ']ff556,

You are indeed correct. When FS21 opened, they were running an E\-One. It was a 1995 E\-One Sentry that formerly ran as Engine 16/Engine 162. It had a 1250 pump with 750 gallons of water and E\-One #15108. It is currently back at FS16 running as Engine 161.

Jerry[/quote]
[quote name='ff556' post='242161' date='Aug 28 2008, 19:08 ']Jerry,

Thank you for the info. ff556[/quote]

Here is the Nags Head E\-One at Station 21 Jerry mentioned.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I just learned that Southern Shores has two new Pierce PUC engines on order scheduled to be delivered in the February, 2009 time frame. Sounds like one will go to each station.

They will replace two Southern Shores E\-One engines which will be sold.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike and or Jerry--

Does any of the OBX depts or in the area still have any of the older VABeach apparatus?
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
John,

I think Mike mentioned that the former Engine 4/Reserve Engine from VB was out now for a black over red paint job. This is the 1988 Gurmman squrt. It is in Currituck County and the Crawford Township Fire Department. They also have on the Crawford roster.

*Engine 436 1980 Seagrave PB25068, jumpseats, black/red, ex-VB, 1500/750 {Seagrave #K79123}

*Engine 437 1980 Seagrave PB25068, jumpseats, black/red, ex-VB E2/E32, 1500/1000 {Seagrave #K79121}

*Ladder 442 1976 Seagrave SR, jumpseats, black/red, ex-Virginia Beach L9, 100' {Seagrave #G-75122}

Hope this helps, and Mike may have more.

If anyone know what former engine that E436 was in VB, please share!

Jerry
[quote name='firemag' post='242384' date='Aug 29 2008, 17:26 ']John,

I think Mike mentioned that the former Engine 4/Reserve Engine from VB was out now for a black over red paint job. This is the 1988 Gurmman squrt. It is in Currituck County and the Crawford Township Fire Department. They also have on the Crawford roster.

*Engine 436 1980 Seagrave PB25068, jumpseats, black/red, ex-VB, 1500/750 {Seagrave #K79123}

*Engine 437 1980 Seagrave PB25068, jumpseats, black/red, ex-VB E2/E32, 1500/1000 {Seagrave #K79121}

*Ladder 442 1976 Seagrave SR, jumpseats, black/red, ex-Virginia Beach L9, 100' {Seagrave #G-75122}

Hope this helps, and Mike may have more.

If anyone know what former engine that E436 was in VB, please share!

Jerry[/quote]

The only one I will add is that Knotts Island (Currituck County) has a 1980 Chevy Custom 20 250/300 brush truck ex Va. Beach (#2972).

Jerry, maybe I have them mixed up......I had the ex VB E2/E32 as Crawford Engine 436.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike,

Thank you for posting the Nags Head's former Engine 21 photo.

ff556
This could be a repost (I did not see it though). No apparatus out, but cool location for a station. North end of the outer banks near the VA line. Corova Beach Vol. Fire Dept. It is 4x4 access only. I took these last summer.

[Image: 103_0149.jpg]

[Image: 103_0150.jpg]
My family and I recently returned from another great week in OBX.

I have a few updates....

Crawford Township in Currituck County has yet another Virginia Beach, Virginia rig on their roster. Engine 41 is a 1988 Duplex/Grumman equipped with a 1500/500 and a 50' Telesqurt. It was Virginia Beach E-4. Serial number 17974.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
During the past year, Currituck County has purchased five Freightliner/Wheeled Coach medic units that are assigned to a variety of stations in Currituck. Previous county ambulances were white and black in color. This is their new color scheme.

Medic 32 is assigned to Crawford Township's main station and is a 2008 Freightliner/2009 Wheeled Coach.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
This is not a great group photo but I was somewhat surprised to find a variety of apparatus no longer in service from Lower Currituck sitting behind the Lower Currituck VFD in Grandy. Lower Currituck runs from three stations.

These are no longer in service.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is the one that really surprised me from Lower Currituck and one I think is a unique fire truck.

Hose 5 is a 1965 Ford F/Howe that was modified in 1995 by Graft which included the large hose reel in the back. There is even a "chair" built into the rear body on the drivers side. It has a 500 gpm pump and carries Howe s/n 28404.

I hope someone picks this one up - paint still looks good.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is my photo of Hose 5 taken a number of years ago while in service at Lower Currituck.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The Corolla VFD, also in Currituck County, has added a new beach rescue truck to its apparatus roster.

Ocean Rescue 61 is a 2009 Ford F250.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Corolla's Brush 61 is a 2007 Ford F350 - after numerous requests and looking at this truck, I am still not sure who built the skid unit.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
A couple of new arrivals in Dare County.

Southern Shores is located just after crossing the Wright Brothers bridge near Kitty Hawk. They have placed into service two Pierce Velocity engines, one at each of their stations.

Engine 124 runs from Southern Shores main station and is a 2009 Pierce Velocity 1500/750/30 with job number 21733-02.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is the officers side of Engine 124.

The Pierce Velocity's replaced two E\-One engines.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is the other Southern Shores Velocity - Engine 123 runs from the sub station.

It carries job number 21733-01.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Southern Shores sub station.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA