Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles
Here is lower Currituck's Rescue Rig. they have upgraded the warning lights and added a mechanical siren since the last photo was taken    
Avon's new Pierce was definitely in when I was down Memorial Day weekend, but out of service mechanical, so they could not pull it out.

Also, it was either Frisco or Buxton (can't remember exactly who, whomever has the lime green rigs) just took delivery of a new pumper. They had it out on the front ramp, connected to a hydrant and playing, but I could not stop- The kids just have no sense of humor when they have been stuck in the car for over an hour and are hungry....lol
Frisco took delivery of an E\-One Quest. It's on the E\-One website
Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD
On your way down to the Outer Banks, Lower Currituck VFD in Currituck County just took delivery of a new KME pumper/tanker.

Just back from a week in OBX and had an opportunity to visit several FD's. I was not able to get to the Southern Beaches, however they have a variety of new deliveries and will get there next visit.

On the way down to OBX, we took the ferry boat from Currituck County (Crawford TWP) to Knotts Island. Knotts Island (KI)is Station 15 in Currituck County. Access to KI is either the ferry or via the Virginia Beach area.

KI has a newer station and here is an update on their apparatus.

Engine 15 is a 1992 Pierce Dash 1250/1000 with job number E6969. Purchased from Delphi Charter TWP - Holtz, MI, it is one of two Pierce engines KI has obtained from this Michigan FD. KI received this one in 2008.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Wagon 15 at KI is another Pierce, this one a 1982 Arrow 1500/750 with job number E1821 purchased from Worland, WY in 2004.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Squad 15 is old Engine 15 at KI and is a 1986 Pierce Arrow 1250/1000 with job number E3315. It was also purchased from Holtz, MI. KI added the upper compartments.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Tanker 15 was received from Chesapeake, Virginia in 2007.

1987 Volvo White/Pierce 1250/2000

job number E3735

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The graphics on the door of Tanker 15.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Knotts Island is also home to Mackay Island,a national wildlife refuge operated by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. They run a variety of brush equipment, and I was told took delivery of a newer Ford F brush unit.

The Ford F replaced this brush truck, which was donated to KI.

Brush 15 is a 1991 Chevrolet Cheyenne/F. LJursik/Craft Industries/Pacific Wajax 250/300.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
A "new" utility for KI is this 1985 Chevrolet which had work done by a local OBX fire company. Is is an older U.S. Army personnel carrier/communications truck.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
A newer station for KI. In addition to the apparatus bays, there is a garage out back that houses three older KI trucks.

Old Tanker 15 is a ex FDNY Engine 229 - 1986 Mack CF/Ward 79/1999 rehab 1000/1000. This would not start and is out of service. There are plans in the works to donate the Mack to another Currituck County FD that sponsors firefighter training and KI has had a variety of their members go through. If it all works out, this will become a training engine.

Old Salvage 15 is a 1970 Ford 750/John Bean 750/500. Also out of service. KI will be rehabbing this as their antique.

Old Brush 15 is a 1980 Chevy pick up brush truck from Virginia Beach. Out of service - KI plans on removing the pump and disposing of the truck.

All three of these trucks can be found at the beginning part of this OBX thread.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Several days later I had the opportunity to visit the Lower Currituck VFD. They operate three stations in Currituck County and have recently taken delivery of a new tanker for their Grandy station.

This had just returned from a FD show in Raleigh, NC and Lower Currituck will begin the process of adding hose, equipment, etc.

Tanker 5 is a 2010 KME Predator 1750/2500 with serial number GSO 7908. With this new truck, the FD will be selling their 1981 Ford C/E-One 1000/500 that was received from Hampton, Virginia.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
When you pull into the Grandy station, you are greeted by this unique Hose Wagon that is sitting on the old helipad right by the main highway. It was put there to generate interest in the department. I was also told this truck will be sold...it would make a great collector piece.

Old Hose Wagon 5 is a 1965 Ford F/Howe that had the hose reel added and water tank removed in 1995 by Graft. It now has a 500 gpm pump and no water. The hose reel hold 5" hose. Howe serial number 28404.

Any serious inquiries on purchasing this please let me know and I can point you in the right direction in terms of a contact.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The other side of Hose 5. I tried to get posed photos however the truck would not quite start so I took it where it sat.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Lower Currituck continues to have a variety of old equipment sitting out back and for sale.

Included is their first engine, a 1950 Chevrolet 6400/?.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The only other FD that I visited with new apparatus was Roanoke Island in Dare County. Roanoke Island operates two stations. Their main station in Manteo and a sub station in Wanchese.

The Wanchese station has a new 2009 Chevrolet/Hackney rescue squad.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Also at the Wanchese station is this 2004 Pierce Enforcer which I had not photographed yet. It is equipped with a 1250/1000/30 and has job number 14781.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Red and white is Roanoke Island's current colors. They still have several trucks on the roster in their old colors.

1709 is also a hose reel truck. It is a 1999 International 4900/2000 E\-One with a 1500/750/15 and serial number 12166. It is housed at the Wanchese station.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
1709 holds 2000' of 5" hose.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA