• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles
Here is the Wanchese station....

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
And construction has begun on a new station right next door.

Those are my highligts from this years visit - hope you enjoyed.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' date='22 August 2010 - 05:24 PM' timestamp='1282511070' post='398536']

The graphics on the door of Tanker 15.

[/quote]

First, I think the warning light placement on the tanker's grill is bit odd, but to each their own.

Second, notice the two small maltese crosses with badge numbers on the fender. These are a carry-over from Chesapeake FD, and represent the badge numbers of Firefighters Frank Young and John Hudgins, who were both killed at the Advance Auto Parts fire in March 1996. Frank was a founding member of TFPA (Tidewater Fire Photographers Association). Interestingly, the current president of TFPA is a member at Knott's Island. Our own John Friis, Fire175, is a life member of TFPA and can probably shed more light on this for us.

Thanks for the wonderful photos thus far, Mike.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Great additions Mike. Hope you had a nice vacation.

I am hoping that I get some nice weather the next two weeks to shoot everything new in NOVA. My last trip in May/June I was sick as a dog the entire time and couldn't get out at all.
Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
[quote name='Roto-Ray' date='22 August 2010 - 06:14 PM' timestamp='1282514061' post='398557']

First, I think the warning light placement on the tanker's grill is bit odd, but to each their own.

Second, notice the two small maltese crosses with badge numbers on the fender. These are a carry-over from Chesapeake FD, and represent the badge numbers of Firefighters Frank Young and John Hudgins, who were both killed at the Advance Auto Parts fire in March 1996. Frank was a founding member of TFPA (Tidewater Fire Photographers Association). Interestingly, the current president of TFPA is a member at Knott's Island. Our own John Friis, Fire175, is a life member of TFPA and can probably shed more light on this for us.

Thanks for the wonderful photos thus far, Mike.

[/quote]

Taylor,

Agree....the light placement is interesting.

Here is something else that I either just noticed this year or did not see before. The state inspections stickers, normally found in the front windshields, are in a variety of "odd" places to me on a variety of the apparatus (outside on the doors). For example, you really notice it on the Tanker from Knotts Island as well as the other Knotts Island pieces. Same with Roanoke Island.

I don't think it does much to dress up the trucks.

I wonder if that is a newer requirement.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike,

Did you get a chance to shoot the New US Fish & Wildlife brush rig? or any of there other rigs?
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Here's some more Knott's Island. I can't remember if I ever posted these before, but I got these in 2004 when I went on a vacation by myself to Virginia Beach. I just got in the truck and drove around. It came a huge storm which explains the large puddles. No one was around the station. I don't have any information on these, so if any of you do, please post it.

[Image: IMG_0139-vi.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0143-vi.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0140-vi.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0141-vi.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0142-vi.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0144-vi.jpg]
[quote name='Tim' date='22 August 2010 - 11:32 PM' timestamp='1282533145' post='398629']

Mike,

Did you get a chance to shoot the New US Fish & Wildlife brush rig? or any of there other rigs?

[/quote]

Tim,

I did not. Based on the ferry boat schedule and traveling to Duck, we did not have time to visit. I believe they have several Ford F pick up brush trucks and a "Marsh Master" track vehicle.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='ScaleCentral' date='23 August 2010 - 01:44 AM' timestamp='1282541053' post='398635']

Here's some more Knott's Island. I can't remember if I ever posted these before, but I got these in 2004 when I went on a vacation by myself to Virginia Beach. I just got in the truck and drove around. It came a huge storm which explains the large puddles. No one was around the station. I don't have any information on these, so if any of you do, please post it.

[Image: IMG_0139-vi.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0143-vi.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0140-vi.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0141-vi.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0142-vi.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0144-vi.jpg]

[/quote]

Page 2 of this thread has most of what you are looking for. In a nutshell,

The first Mack CF you posted is a 1976 model rehabed by Custom Fire in 1990 and ex- East Chicago, IN

The Suburban is still in service and is a 2001.

The unmarked CF is a 1979 model 1250/500 ex- Fayetteville, NC. It was received by Knotts Island in 2003 and sold to a dealer in 2005.

The "Worland" Pierce is Wagon 15 as posted.

Hope that helps.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike did you get any pics of the Ford/FMC that was there I remember it when i was a kid when my father was a Captain in Va.Beach. I think I saw it in one of your other posts.
[quote name='The Ahrens Fox' date='23 August 2010 - 10:02 PM' timestamp='1282614126' post='398769']

Mike did you get any pics of the Ford/FMC that was there I remember it when i was a kid when my father was a Captain in Va.Beach. I think I saw it in one of your other posts.

[/quote]

Are you referring to the 1970 Ford F/John Bean 750/500? If so, it is on page 2 of this OBX thread. Knotts Island still has it and will be rehabbing it for their antique.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
A couple of updates on some of the departments in the Southern area of Dare County.

Frisco has taken delivery of an interesting 2010 E\-One Quest 1500/1000/35A serial number 135744. CAF's equipped.

This is an addition to the fleet at Frisco and did not replace anything.

Mike Sanders

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Driver side of the E\-One Quest.

Mike Sanders

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
And the rear.

Mike Sanders

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Frisco is also getting back an old brush truck they once ran to be used as a Utility. This 1968 (not positive on the year) Kaiser once had a skid mount in the rear. It was later given to the nearby Buxton VFD for a parts truck (if needed) for the Buxton Kaiser. Buxton never used it and it was to go back to the NC Forestry Service, where it came from originally.

The Chief of Frisco has decided to take it back and upgrade it a bit (mechanically) for a utility vehicle.

Mike Sanders

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' date='24 October 2010 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1287966707' post='408618']

And the rear.

Mike Sanders

[/quote]

1000 gal tank, low hose bed, would love to see it naked. Looks like it has the walkway crosslays. Thanks for the pics.
Down the road from Frisco is Hatteras Island.

A couple of changes are in progress:

A new E\-One Quest has been ordered (I was told similar to Frisco) except red in color.

A new E\-One 75' ladder truck has been ordered (unknown model type).

The department's 1960 Dodge Power Wagon/Howe 500/500 is currently being rehabed locally. Although to be used mainly as a antique/parade, it could be put into service if needed.

This is Engine 403, a 1995 International 4800 4x4/E-One 1250/500 serial number 15257. The department plans on keeping this once the new E\-One Quest arrives and running it as the second out engine/brush unit.

Mike Sanders

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
This has always been a favorite of mine in the OBX area.

Ladder 409 from Hatteras is a 1992 International 4900/E-One 1250/500 with a 50'. Serial number 10987.

Not sure what will happen with this truck when the new ladder truck arrives. I was told it will either be sold or donated.

Mike Sanders

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Avon, also in Dare County, has a new 2010 Pierce Velocity top mount 1500/1000 running as Engine 46. Job number 22623. This is also a new addition and will not be replacing any apparatus.

I was also told that conversations are occuring regarding a ladder truck in the future for Avon.

Mike Sanders

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Final update for now....

Chicamacomico Banks has received this 1993 AMC from the NC Forestry Service.

It is currently a utility unit for the department and used for high water calls (frequent in this area with storms). The department is getting ready to order a skid unit which will then make this truck the departments brush unit.

Mike Sanders

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA