Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles
You dog! You've been to the beach? Man, you be lucky! Hope you enjoyed the visit.
[quote name='mnsand' date='24 October 2010 - 09:10 PM' timestamp='1287967834' post='408625']

I was also told that conversations are occuring regarding a ladder truck in the future for Avon.[/quote]

That conversation has been ongoing for quite some time, although sometimes it gets louder in volume and then dies back down to a dull roar...lol.....

One of the big wheels at Avon is a retired Bn Chief from the City of Camden, NJ and a very good close friend of myself and my wife. We spend at least one if not two weeks a year with he and his wife. Plus we constantly communicate via telephone and emails, so I get all the low-down on Station 46. Good bunch of folks. Last time we were down (over Memorial Day Weekend 2010) the new Pierce was down mechanical for some reason and could not be pulled out.
[quote name='1958 F.W.D.' date='24 October 2010 - 10:47 PM' timestamp='1287973656' post='408638']

That conversation has been ongoing for quite some time, although sometimes it gets louder in volume and then dies back down to a dull roar...lol.....

One of the big wheels at Avon is a retired Bn Chief from the City of Camden, NJ and a very good close friend of myself and my wife. We spend at least one if not two weeks a year with he and his wife. Plus we constantly communicate via telephone and emails, so I get all the low-down on Station 46. Good bunch of folks. Last time we were down (over Memorial Day Weekend 2010) the new Pierce was down mechanical for some reason and could not be pulled out.

[/quote]

Your friend was very nice indeed. He was the one who came down and met me at the station to move out the new Pierce. He has been very accomodating to me on several visits.....a class act.

Mike Sanders
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike, thanks for the photos, especially from the south end of Route 12 .... the only place to vacation!
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
[quote name='mnsand' date='24 October 2010 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1287966648' post='408617']

Driver side of the E\-One Quest.

Mike Sanders

[/quote]

are these trucks ugly or what?
Paul Edwards

Contributor - Fire & EMS Virginia Magazine

Dispatcher - Virginia Fire Net (VFN102)
Some additional new deliveries in OBX.

Duck Brush 11 (Dare County) is a 2010 Ford F350/M&W with work completed by Bear-Kat Manufacturing. 200/150/10.

It replaced an older 1995 Chevrolet brush truck that was sold to Chicamacomico Banks, Station 50 in Dare County and further down Rt.12 South.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Brush 11 at Duck has seating for 3. The area behind the driver carries additional equipment.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Back side view of Brush 11.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Old Duck Brush 11 was sold to Chicamacomico Banks, which you pass through on the way to visiting the Hatteras area.

Here is the truck, a 1995 Chevrolet Cheyenne that is now used as a beach rescue unit. The white cap was removed from another beach unit used by Chicamacomico Banks.

Not sure why since Chicamacomico Banks is Station 50, but this truck is Rescue 6.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
An update on the "Storm" unit at Chicamacomico Banks, as shown about a page back in this post.

It is now running as "Brush 50", and is a 1993 AMC/2011 FD ex- NC Forestry Department. When Station 50 purchased the brush truck from Duck, they took the skid (80/200) and put it on the 1993 AMC. The booster reel has come off the departments 1984 GMC Sierra/Grumman mini pumper (status unknown at this time). Work continues on completing this brush truck.

An arrangement is made with a local business that when a storm is predicted to hit the area, a forklift removes the skid and the AMC is used as a Storm unit. In addtion, the AMC can tow a trailer with extrication equipment if needed.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Hatteras has two nice new deliveries.

Engine 404 is a 2011 E\-One Typhoon 1500/1000/30 with serial number 136505. It is CAF's equipped.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The officer side of Engine 404.

It replaced an older Ford C engine.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Back end view of the low hose bed area.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The department's new ladder will be replacing the interesting older International/E-One.

Ladder 40 is a 2011 E\-One Quest equipped with a 1500/500/30 and 75'. Also CAF's and has serial number 136468.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The officer side of Ladder 40, with no roll up compartment doors.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
And a rear view of Ladder 40.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
This rehab project for Hatteras has not gone well, and there is a lot of disappointment with the department's 1960 Dodge PW500/Howe HRS-2 500/500 s/n 10735.

Hatteras had hoped a local company could do the rehab and have since removed the Dodge from the company doing the work and brought it back to the station. I was told that once the new E\-One's are officially placed into service, decisions will be made about this truck. For now, it sits to the rear of the Hatteras station.

This was one of the first fire trucks in the southern end of Dare County and is very unique.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The officer side of the 1960 Dodge/Howe.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The Hatteras emblem.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last update from this years visit is the newer Engine 14 at Kill Devil Hills, also Dare County.

Engine 14 is a 2010 Sutphen 1500/500 with serial number HS-4822.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA