Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles
[quote name='mnsand' timestamp='1313728470' post='453588']

The department's new ladder will be replacing the interesting older International/E-One.

Ladder 40 is a 2011 E\-One Quest equipped with a 1500/500/30 and 75'. Also CAF's and has serial number 136468.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

[/quote]

Correction on the water tank - 470 gallons, not 500.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Back end view of the low hose bed area.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Thanks for the image. I have been hoping that one of these would turn up and verify the bits and pieces that I had seen previously.
What a great way to end a great week at OBX. Stopped by Corolla and was treated with a photo opportunity of their 1987 GMC/E-One on the beach.

A new delivery will be arriving shortly at Corolla. They will be receiving a International four door all wheel drive built by OBX Fire Tech. This 1987 GMC will be kept and moved to the Pine Island substation once the new truck is in service.

My thanks to the Chief and Assistant Chief at Corolla for a great visit and ride up the beach.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Corolla also has a new emblem they are adding to the apparatus.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last one.....I really like this sign for Corolla's Pine Island substation sign.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' timestamp='1313804319' post='453664']

What a great way to end a great week at OBX. Stopped by Corolla and was treated with a photo opportunity of their 1987 GMC/E-One on the beach.

A new delivery will be arriving shortly at Corolla. They will be receiving a International four door all wheel drive built by OBX Fire Tech. This 1987 GMC will be kept and moved to the Pine Island substation once the new truck is in service.

My thanks to the Chief and Assistant Chief at Corolla for a great visit and ride up the beach.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

[/quote]

Great photo !!!

Juergen
UPDATE on Avon's quest for an aerial: preparations are now underway to add onto their station. Fill material started being brought in the last week of June. They need to fill in a depressed area next to the station and compact it in order to add on another bay. Once this is accomplished they do intend to purchase an aerial of some sorts, at least 100'. Leaning towards a bucket of some kind due to the many large rental houses in Avon, but not sure at this time.
I had the opportunity to spend a long weekend at OBX recently and stayed in the Corolla area. Beautiful weather and the opportunity to visit several stations will allow some updates.

I just cannot say enough about the hospitality of the folks at Corolla. Last year I had the opportunity to photograph their Engine 64 (1987 GMC/E-One, already posted). They recently placed into service another all wheel drive engine which runs from Corolla's main station. The GMC/E-One will stay, and re-assigned to Corolla's substation on Pine Island.

The new Engine 65 is a 2009 International 7600 4x4 built by OBX Fire Tech, located in Currituck County. It is equipped with a 1250/850/30.

Another photo opportunity on the beach in Corolla.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The officer side of Engine 65.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
And a back end view.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
A unique feature of Engine 65 is that the drivers side back door is actually a compartment.

Inside the cab are the driver and officer seat, and two seats that sit next to this compartment.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Sorry.....I could not pass up another opportunity to get Engine 64 again on the beach.

1987 GMC 7000/E-One

750/500

s/n 6016

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Another of Engine 64.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
And I could not pass on the opportunity to get a group picture of Engine 64 and Engine 65 together.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
As fun as the photos were, it was a great time taking both trucks down the beach 3-4 miles. Once we got Engine 65 back to quarters, I took one last photo at the station.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
As much fun as a fire truck photo session on the beach was, afterwards we took Corolla's ladder truck out to the Corolla light house for photographs.

Platform 61 is a 1990 Duplex/Grumman 102' equipped with a 1500/250.

In 2009, the Grumman was taken to the KME plant in Roanoke, Virginia for some rehab work. Included in this work was the pump, outriggers, rebuilt ladder/bucket, automatic stabilization system, and some new lettering, complete with the addition of the black stripes.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The officer side of Platform 61.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The Grumman platform by the Corolla light house.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
This is what the light house looks like when you are up 102' on Platform 61.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' timestamp='1282511006' post='398535']

Tanker 15 was received from Chesapeake, Virginia in 2007.

1987 Volvo White/Pierce 1250/2000

job number E3735

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

[/quote]

Kind of an odd setup on grille lights if I may say...

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.