Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles
Some other apparatus news at Corolla:

The department will shortly be taking ownership of a ex- military deuce and a half and will equip it as a "Storm" unit painted in Corolla's colors. No pump or tank planned.

The Ocean Rescue team also received two donated Jeep Cherokee's for ocean rescue units.

The unusual ocean rescue unit - a 2008 Joyner Trooper (posted earlier) - has been removed from service. It did not work out well for Corolla.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The following day we went four wheeling up on the beach and headed to Carova Beach, which is at the North Carolina and Virginia border. No paved roads in Carova Beach.

One change to the apparatus at Carova Beach. Brush 72 has been upgraded a bit with larger tires and front end protection. It is a 2005 Ford F350/2007 CET/2010 local.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
One of the reasons for visiting Carova Beach is the opportunity to see the wild horses. In several previous visits to Carova Beach, I did not see the horses however their "evidence" was on the sand.

This visit was nice. While we were at the station, there was a small group of horses just across the street. Very special.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
This gives you an idea of the geography at Carova Beach. Rt. 12 is the beach, and the traffic flow depends on high and low tides.

To get to the homes and the fire station, you have to go up a sand hill. You won't get anywhere unless you have 4wd.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
A couple of notes on Carova Beach:

The department is planning a sub station located between their existing station and Corolla. The day we visited, some department members were at the site clearing it out. Nothing construction wise has started at this time.

When the station is built, Carova Beach will transfer their current Engine 72, a 1986 International/Grumman to the sub station. In addition, the department has acquired this 1984 GMC from the Forestry Service. It was once a U.S. Government utility vehicle and I was told then went to a fire department. It then went back to the Forestry Service vehicle pool. Carova Beach plans on placing a 1,100 - 1,200 gallon water tank on the back and placing it at the sub station.

That's it for these OBX updates.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' timestamp='1333067162' post='479281']

And I could not pass on the opportunity to get a group picture of Engine 64 and Engine 65 together.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

[/quote]

Great looking photos of great looking trucks. The beach always makes for a nice background.

Juergen
Mike,

Awesome photos. Kathy and I haven't been able to get back to OBX for a couple of years now, but your photos definitely fill a little bit of that void. Thanks.

Chris
Remember, it's their Emergency, not yours !  Arrive Alive !
[quote name='mnsand' timestamp='1282511006' post='398535']

Tanker 15 was received from Chesapeake, Virginia in 2007.

1987 Volvo White/Pierce 1250/2000

job number E3735

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

[/quote]

As you can see this rig looked a bit different in the front end when w/Chesapeake. My guess is when the flag decal was added in place of the 4 large flashers, 2 small red lights were placed in the red stripes so as not to interfere with the integrity of the white stripes or the blue section. Be interesting to know if this was a Chesapeake thing or changed by KIVFD?

This was known as E-72 with Chesapeake.

1991 Photo by the late Frank E. Young (RIP)

Jenkins collection

Mike thanks for your excellent information on the Outer Banks. I am in the Outer Banks this week and used your information for apparatus shooting. I shot a few rigs over the weekend. I hope to shoot some again at the end of the week.
Adam Alberti

www.njfirepictures.smugmug.com

Lieutenant Passaic, NJ Fire Dept.

Past Chief Roxbury Twp, NJ Volunteer Fire Dept
[quote name='njfirepix' timestamp='1337051376' post='485149']

Mike thanks for your excellent information on the Outer Banks. I am in the Outer Banks this week and used your information for apparatus shooting. I shot a few rigs over the weekend. I hope to shoot some again at the end of the week.

[/quote]

Your welcome Adam. I hope we get to see what you shot.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Avon (Hattaras Island) News: I am here now on vacation. The Station is currently getting a sizeable 2-story addition, large enough for the planned purchase of a 75' Pierce rearmount quint. The second floor contains space for bunkroooms and other living space amenities such as a kitchen and dayroom (getting them off the first floor which is in the storm surge) and also administrative space. Quint purchase planned for later this year or early next year.
I drove by last week and saw the work being done, I was wondering if they were adding another unit to their fleet! Looks like a nice station
Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD
I returned recently from a week in OBX and had the opportunity to get caught up on some apparatus at Crawford TWP in Currituck County. Crawford TWP has three stations in the county.

The newest arrival is stationed at the Maple Station which is located by the airport. The airport area is seeing a lot of growth.

Crash 4 is a 1986 Oshkosh P-19 1000/1000/130 foam and 500 pounds of Halon. It was acquired from the Elizabeth City Coast Guard where it ran as Crash 6.

Recently received and not yet in service.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
We had the nice opportunity to take the Crash truck up to the airport, located just down the road from the Maple Station.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Tight, tight fit for Crash 4 into the Maple Station. It sits between a tanker and engine/ladder between two bays. There are conversations about building a new station right by the airport.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike is the Maple Station the one with the Seagrave Truck? It does look challenging to back the Crash Rig in.
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Crawford TWP owns another airport unit, however there is no room at the Maple station to keep it. Instead, Skid Unit 44 is kept at their main station in Sligo.

This is a 1997 GMC 3500 that was purchased used by the FD about 2-3 years ago. A skid unit was obtained from the Norfolk, Virginia airport and holds 100 gallons of AFFF and 450 pounds of Purple K.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Engine 41 was moved from the main station in Sligo to run at the Maple station. It also has a newer ladder sign.

Crawford TWP, NC

Currituck County

Engine 41

1988 Duplex/Grumman/2008 Local

1500/500

50' Telesqurt

s/n 17974

ex- Virginia Beach, VA Engine 4

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Ladder 4 also received a new ladder sign, and this is my favorite in the Crawford TWP fleet. Ladder 4 runs from the Court House area station along the busy road heading to and from the Nags Head area. It is the 3 bay red and white building.

Ladder 4 is a 1976 Seagrave SR20768/2005 Local 100'. Serial Number G-75122 that was originally from Virginia Beach. When Crawford TWP received the Seagrave, they ran it painted in the VA Beach colors of white with a red stripe and later repainted it to its current colors.

Ladder 4 also carries some extrication equipment. Crawford TWP hopes to obtain a utility type of truck to carry that equipment.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
During the last several years, the county has taken over the ambulance/medic responses in Currituck County. As a result, several of the stations that once ran volunteer ambulances are putting those trucks to other uses.

Cascade 4 at Crawford TWP is one example. It is a 1998 Ford E/Wheeled Coach now equipped as an air cascade truck. It runs from Crawford's main station in Sligo.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA