Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles
Crawford TWP has had this rehab former ambulance for a number of years, however they recently relettered and added chevron stripes.

RAC 4 is a 1994 Ford Super Duty/Wheeled Coach that was a former Crawford TWP ambulance. It also runs from the main station in Sligo.

Crawford TWP was the highlight of this years visit to the OBX. I did not have the opportunity to make it to the Nags Head area and see if any additions or changes.

Hope you enjoyed.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
In August, my family and I made our yearly trip to the OBX and stayed again at Duck, NC.

Not much in terms of new apparatus deliveries in the OBX area.

We spent a part of one day four wheeling up in Carova Beach, and as always, made a stop at the FD.  We found that the department has placed into service a brush unit - Brush 71.

It is a 2010 Ford F350 with a 1995 CET skid unit - 250/300/5.  The department moved the 1995 skid from an older 1995 Ford F350 pick up brush truck.  The Ford F is now Utility 71.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The newer Brush 71 on the left along with the departments Brush 72, a 2005 Ford F350/2007 CET/2010 local.

This stop was very nice.  In addition to the great hospitality at the FD, several groups of the wild horses were once again near the station.  In addition, after leaving the station we found a group of horses running along the beach right by the water.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Some new deliveries I am hearing about for next year – Duck is getting a new Pierce engine and will be selling their 1990 Grumman engine.  Nags Head also with a new Pierce quint, as well as Roanoke Island with a Pierce engine.

I will finish off with a newer station in Roanoke Island – their Wanchese substation houses a Pierce engine, an International/E-One large diameter hose unit (on a reel), and a medium size rescue.  This newer station was built at the same location of the old station.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I see your got your topic back. Cool!!!

Mike

Thanks for the info. Always great to read your posts.

Adam Alberti

www.njfirepictures.smugmug.com

Lieutenant Passaic, NJ Fire Dept.

Past Chief Roxbury Twp, NJ Volunteer Fire Dept
Mike, I just went back through all of this thread. What an awsome job you have done. When you finish, it is like you were there. THANKS for this visit!!!

This one is for Mike Sanders..............

Nags Head Ladder 16

2013 Pierce Impel

2000/500/30 75'

Trey White
Thank you Trey.  Now I am very curious what Nags Head is doing with their old E\-One Ladder truck - I am assuming it will/has been sold.

Mike Sanders

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Does anyone know if Avon got a Truck Company yet? I know had just broken ground on an addition to the building in the summer of 2012 for an additional bay to house it.......?????

Just got home from the OBX. Avon just returned from their final factory inspection of their new E\-One 100' quint this week. They will be taking care of some punchlist items and the rig should be leaving Ocala by the end of next week. 

I spend some time in mid-April on the OBX, at Buck Island in Corolla. All the kids and grand kids are there, it's always a nice, relaxing (and pretty much tourist-free) time. One of those huge McMansions with both an indoor and outdoor pool in addition to the beach, so the little ones get to swim regardless of the weather. This year it was sunny and mid-70s most days. I appreciate all the shots of OBX apparatus, they have some pretty impressive stuff. See you all next year!
Quote:Just got home from the OBX. Avon just returned from their final factory inspection of their new E-ONE 100' quint this week. They will be taking care of some punchlist items and the rig should be leaving Ocala by the end of next week. 

I'll be down there in about 4 weeks, I'll get some posed shots assuming it's been delivered from the dealer.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote: 

I'll be down there in about 4 weeks, I'll get some posed shots assuming it's been delivered from the dealer.
If you need a contact name and number let me know, I can get you the Asst Chief's digits. 
I recently got back from a week in OBX (Duck) and had the opportunity to get caught up on a few trucks.

By this time next year, Kitty Hawk should have a new engine.  I believe it will be a Smeal.

Not exactly sure which truck will be replaced, but here are several of their older ones.

Kitty Hawk, NC

Dare County

Engine 131

1990 Grumman (with a Cincinnati cab) 

1750/1000

sn 18499

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
A favorite of mine in OBX.....

Kitty Hawk, NC

Dare County

Truck 13

1984 Ford C8000/Grumman

1250/500

50' Telesqurt

sn 17170

This truck does not run much.  I believe its days are limited at Kitty Hawk.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The newest delivery to Dare County.  When I photographed this in mid August, it was not in service.  It will replace the Grumman tower.

Kill Devil Hills, NC

Dare County

Truck 14

2014 Sutphen SPH-100

100'

1500/300

HS-5423

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The newest addition to the fleet at Roanoke Island is this new engine:

Roanoke Island, NC

Dare County

Manteo Station

Engine 1703

2013 International 4400 4x2/2014 Pierce

1500/1500/30A

job number 27073-1 (that job number is correct - only one delivered)

Replaced a 1995 International/E-One that I believe was sold to Tyrell County VFD, NC.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I took the opportunity to re-photograph 1710 from Roanoke Island.....

Roanoke Island

Dare County

Manteo Station

Rescue 1710

1996 International 4900/E-One

sn 16659

cascade, Amkus rescue tools,20kw generator

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
From Dare County to Currituck County.....

Lower Currituck (which runs 3 stations) has received several additions and made some revisions.

Lower Currituck VFD

Dare County

Grandy Station

Storm 5

1983 AM General M945/2013 FD

ex- US Military

obtained through the NC Department of Forestry

A new canvas tarp will be made for the truck.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA