Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sedan cab apparatus, 1975 or older
Thanks Dave.  I did a secondary search of my files and found a few more.  It surprised me when I was going through my files to notice how many Sedan Cab rigs that I have that started out as canopy cabs and then were converted into Sedan Cabs in the 80's and 90's.  However like I said I managed to find a few more "Orignial" Sedan Can rigs.

Harrisburg Bureau of Fire, PA

Old Squad 1 - 1970's CF-Model Mack/Swab.

Harrisburg sold it to Fairview Township and then Fairview Township sold it to Richland Township Fire Company where it ran until it was wrecked in the 90's.

[Image: OldStation16andOldSquad1.jpg]

Jesse Shutt

Fisherville Volunteer Fire Company #1 (Dauphin Company 216)

Upper Dauphin County Emergency Medical Services (Dauphin Company 6)

Past President Dauphin County Volunteer Firemen's Association

Upper Dauphin County Fire Historian
Mt. Pleasant Fire Company No. 8 of Harrisburg, PA

Old Engine 8 - 1975 CF-Model Mack

This rig lived an interesting life.  It started out at the Mt. Pleasant Station until 1983 when Fire Chief Don Konkle moved it to City Station 2 and made it Wagon 4, at which time Mt. Pleasant got back their 1962 C-Model Mack and they became known as Squad 8.  In the late 1988 when the City of Harrisburg purchased the Sutphen Engines, this rig was sent out to LDI to be refurbished and when it came back it now ran as Engine 2 (a reserve piece).  It remained as Engine 2 and until the City of Harrisburg sold if in 2009 to a local firefighter in the Harrisburg area and he re-lettered it as Engine 8.  He had it for approximately 2 years and then he sold it and it is now enjoying retirement down in Texas.

[Image: OldEngine81975CF-ModelMackandStation1.jpg]

Below shows it as Wagon 4

[Image: OldWagon41975CF-ModelMack.jpg]

Below shows it as Engine 2 after the refurb by LDI.

[Image: OldEngine21975CF-ModelMack_zpsdf523d3b.jpg]

And below shows it privately owned and re-lettered as Engine 8 at the 2010 Pennsylvania Pump Primers at Harrisburg.

[Image: OldEngine8MtPleasant2_zps67e6a48b.jpg]

Jesse Shutt

Harrisburg Bureau of Fire, PA

Old Wagon 3 - 1975 CF-Model Mack.

This rig like the previous Mack ran as Wagon 3 until 1988 when the City placed in service the new Sutphen and it was sent out to LDI and refurbished and when it came back it ran as Engine 1 (a reserve piece).  It was traded in to KME when the City purchased the two new KME tower's.

Also from talking to my good friend and fellow fire historian Dave Houseal, he told me that in the summer time the fire department shops would take the jump seat doors off as it got hot in the cab and chains would be placed across the door openings.

[Image: OldEngine3CF-ModelMack.jpg]

Jesse Shutt

Quote:Harrisburg Bureau of Fire, PA

Old Wagon 3 - 1975 CF-Model Mack.

This rig like the previous Mack ran as Wagon 3 until 1988 when the City placed in service the new Sutphen and it was sent out to LDI and refurbished and when it came back it ran as Engine 1 (a reserve piece).  It was traded in to KME when the City purchased the two new KME tower's.

Also from talking to my good friend and fellow fire historian Dave Houseal, he told me that in the summer time the fire department shops would take the jump seat doors off as it got hot in the cab and chains would be placed across the door openings.
I didn't have the year on this one or I would have already posted it.  Here is a shot of it after the refurb and with the doors on it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

And here is my shot of the 1970 Mack CF/Swab heavy rescue when it was in service at Richland Township, minus the rear doors.

I knew I had this picture laying around.  Here it is when Fairview Township had it and ran it as Rescue 69.

I guess I left out the fact in my original post that this rig never cam with rear doors on the cab.  When Swab's built the rig for Harrisburg, they put the extended canopy roof on the rig but no doors.

[Image: OldRescue69CF-ModelMack-Swab_zpsfad89d6a.jpg]

Jesse Shutt

Around 1954, the US Air Force took delivery of several of these 3-door sedan cab pumpers.  They were built by Fire Trucks, Inc. on International R-196 chassis.  Capacities were 750/300.  This one was photographed at the Robins AFB Museum at Warner Robins, GA.

Attached Files Image(s)

In 1965, Glenn Dale VFA in PG County,MD., purchased a IH Loadstar 4X4 4DR/WLF 300/500 to be a "quick-attack" engine, after unsatisfactory performance, it was off the GDVFA roster by 1970. It resurfaced at South MT. VFD in Franklin Co.,PA., and was sold by them late in 1988.

Unknown source, WW Jenkins collection

Quote:The downside to SPAAMFAA musters is that you usually get photos like this one.  Too much crap you don't want in the photo!  This 1973 Pirsch sedan cab 100' Senior Aerial served Rochester, NY.  It was collector owned when I took the photo in the late 1980's.
This truck is owned by Bob Graham of Victor, NY.  This truck was the last TDA ever purchased by the city of Rochester.  After that everything was replaced with Quints.
Quote:If you mean the bracket on the roof, it is a mirror bracket that allows the driver to see the tillerman's seat through the skylight.
Thanks.  First time I have ever seen that feature.
Quote:In 1965, Glenn Dale VFA in PG County,MD., purchased a IH Loadstar 4X4 4DR/WLF 300/500 to be a "quick-attack" engine, after unsatisfactory performance, it was off the GDVFA roster by 1970. It resurfaced at South MT. VFD in Franklin Co.,PA., and was sold by them late in 1988.

Unknown source, WW Jenkins collection
Same rig while at South MTN.

Dave Bowen photo, WW Jenkins collection

Quote:The Tonka prototype!  
Rusted like a Ward
Back in the day, Glenn Dale was a strong WLF customer.

Minneapolis began ruuning 4-door cab pumpers in 1951.  Mack, Pirsch, Ward Lafrance, and Howe customs were purchased before the switchover to commercial cabs.  Springfield (MA) ran impressive Maxim rescue squads, a 1957 modle and a 1973 S model, both were equipped with 4 doors.  Do Detroits saftey sedans count?
Quote: Do Detroits saftey sedans count?
I didn't include the Safety Sedans as they were actually canopy cab rigs with huge canopies.  I'm interested in rigs that had seating for the whole crew completely inside.
Cincinnati, OH.

1972 Seagrave PB 1000/300

"Riotproof" pumper

image from German postcard, WW Jenkins collection

Quote:I didn't include the Safety Sedans as they were actually canopy cab rigs with huge canopies.  I'm interested in rigs that had seating for the whole crew completely inside.
Detroit Seagrave safety sedans did have sitting on the inside. Early models had a bench seat parallel to the hose bed. Later models had a bench more forward behind the driver and officers seat. However, most Detroit fire fighters chose to ride the tail board and several were severely injured or killed in the line of duty.  
Quote:Detroit Seagrave safety sedans did have sitting on the inside. Early models had a bench seat parallel to the hose bed. Later models had a bench more forward behind the driver and officers seat. However, most Detroit fire fighters chose to ride the tail board and several were severely injured or killed in the line of duty.  
The rear of a safety sedan was open.  There were no doors on it.  Therefore, it was simply an extended canopy.  Granted, the crew seat was way up under that canopy, but it wasn't a sedan cab, similar to those that have been posted.
This rescue had a tragic beginning, but went on to have a long and useful career albeit changed from its original appearance.

Delivered in the summer of 1972 to the Cottage City-Colmar Manor,MD. VFD (OLD PGCO #2), the Seagrave PB/Pierce 250/100 had a 4-door cab, and an abundance of warning devices. However, the rig was responding on 11/23/1972 when it collided with a train at a crossing in Hyattsville,MD.The volunteer officer on board would die of severe injuries on 12/11/1972. The Seagrave cab was demolished, eventually a 1975 TCM (Cinncinnati) cab was grafted on to the Pierce body.

Very few photos exist of the rescue's original appearance, the most familar one in Walt McCall's 1975 book.

The rebuilt rig would serve as RS2 until replaced in 1993, it would then serve several more years as a PGFD spare.

Photo 1: RS2 in parade at Kensington, MD.; 10/1986

WW Jenkins photos

Attached Files Image(s)

Photo 2: running as PGFD RS49 while a spare; 6/1995