Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Virginia - Need help
[quote name='mnsand' post='191160' date='Feb 23 2008, 12:56 ']Warren,

Here is Morgantown's Engine 8, a 1956 Mack B 750gpm as photographed in 1969.

McLean, Virginia in Fairfax County ran this tough looking 1979 GMC Brigadier/Saulsbury as their Squad 1. It also had a 250/200.

From McLean it was sold to The Plains, Virginia in Fauquier County. I was told by someone from The Plains that they sold it to some company that did work with railroads. The GMC squad was extensively modified and had the capability to drive on the rails. Sure would have loved to have seen that truck.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Sorry for any confusion on this post. The McLean information should not have been included. That Squad was posted on the Virginia thread.

Thanks,

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
1944 Chevy/Oren 500/?

originally Westphal E-5, Martinsburg,WV - 1944-1974 originally red

1976 slide as Back Creek Valley VFD, Berkeley Co. WV (they painted it green) served until 1982.

2 private owners 1982-98, restored by Martinsburg FD 1998-2002

unknown, Jenkins collection

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Frost, WV Fire Dept in Pocahontas County purchased a 1979 Mack R with American Eagle body from my fire company, Quakertown Fire Co in NJ, back in 1996. Does anyone have any pictures of it in Frost FD's markings? If Frost doesn't have it anymore, does anyone know the disposition of the engine?

Thank you for your help.
[quote name='flyinghigh' post='192458' date='Feb 28 2008, 10:08 ']Frost, WV Fire Dept in Pocahontas County purchased a 1979 Mack R with American Eagle body from my fire company, Quakertown Fire Co in NJ, back in 1996. Does anyone have any pictures of it in Frost FD's markings? If Frost doesn't have it anymore, does anyone know the disposition of the engine?

Thank you for your help.[/quote]

Frost WV?! Didn't know there was a VFD there, that's about 100 miles further in WV than I've gotten to.

It's a long way from anywhere, and with gas going to $4/gal., it ain't likely for me to get there. I don't know of anyone that's been close, and it may take my friend Mike Sanders getting to go to somewhat nearby Snowshoe Resort on one of his "business" trips to get pics of this place.

BTW, my thanks on posing your Macks for us back in '93 at Rose Tree,PA.

Warren Jenkins
As mentioned in post #53, this is x-Martinsburg E-3 as it is now in Orleans,MD. (Allegany Co.)

1974 Mack CF/94 Pierce 1000/500

Warren Jenkins photo- 2005

This is the remains of the Baker Heights,WV ALF 700 in post #31. This sat for a few years on RTs. 522/340 just south of White Post, VA. adjacent to a state prison. I took this with a short tele from the side of the highway in 98 or 99. It was gone a couple years after that.

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='Dr. Stinebaugh' post='192540' date='Feb 28 2008, 17:28 ']Frost WV?! Didn't know there was a VFD there, that's about 100 miles further in WV than I've gotten to.

It's a long way from anywhere, and with gas going to $4/gal., it ain't likely for me to get there. I don't know of anyone that's been close, and it may take my friend Mike Sanders getting to go to somewhat nearby Snowshoe Resort on one of his "business" trips to get pics of this place.

BTW, my thanks on posing your Macks for us back in '93 at Rose Tree,PA.

Warren Jenkins[/quote]

Warren,

I didn't know there was a Frost, WV until they purchased our engine. They came and picked up the engine a day before the big blizzard in 1996. Most of the guys from Frost worked for the WV DOT and had to get home before the blizzard hit so they could plow the roads.

We had a good time at the muster in Rose Tree. On the way make home, we came across a serious MVA on I-95. You should have seen the looks on the PFD FFs faces when they pulled up and we were on scene with our engine and tanker. It was like they had never seen a tanker before.

Thanks for your help obtaining a picture of the 1979 Mack. If you have any contacts with any photographers in Tennessee, we sold our 1973 Mack R / Grumman to a county fire department in the western part of the state. I would be interested to see if it is still there or where it went to.

Thanks again.

Matt
A most unusual brush unit was this 1966 VW Beetle which was converted into a "brush buggy" capable of 100/55. I still have the Associated Press news article from 1973 featuring this unit and how it was built by then chief Carl Philabaum and the 30 members of the Valley Grove VFC, which is just east of Wheeling on US RT.40.

unknown slide dated 5/77, Jenkins collection

Another unusual unit is this "hose wagon" from the Gilmer Co. WV VFD, a 1958 Chevy panel van that had a rear mounted 150 GPM pump.

11/77 slide by Jack DeRosset-!, Jenkins collection

[quote name='mnsand' post='128376' date='Jul 11 2007, 18:31 ']So I figured maybe the Ford C belonged to the local volunteer FD. I decided to try and find the station. After receiving directions from a local cashier ("the station is in the woods"), I finally found the local Flatwoods station located down a rock driveway "in the woods". The station was closed up tight, but several pieces were sitting outside, and again I am hoping for some help. Hopefully, the serial numbers that I was able to get from these will help our serial number pro's.

Flatwoods, West VA

1977 ALF Pioneer

1250gpm

s/n PC-16-5446

plaque on the side says "in memory of Donald Tenney".

Obviously this ALF served elsewhere before Flatwoods. It also appears to be out of service.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Well, I think I found where the ALF Pioneer from Flatwoods (the first page of this thread) originally began.

Here is a photograph of Weston, WV 1977 ALF Pioneer, which must have been taken shortly after delivery because the slide date shows November 1977. Weston and Flatwoods are not far from each other.

Mike Sanders collection.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
During the last couple of weeks, I have traveled for business to West Virginia and have had the opportunity to find some nice folks at some stations to move apparatus around for me.

First up was Elkins, West Virginia in Randolph County. My visit there was very enjoyable because of a gentleman named Ron Gooden. I also understand that Ron is a newer member of firepics. Ron, thanks so much for organizing the apparatus for photographs. Unfortunately, I did not have the bright sun shine that would have really made these trucks stand out, but I think you will agree that the colors are nice and Elkins runs a nice variety of trucks.

First up is Mini Pumper 405, a 1987 Ford F/Pierce 400/200 with job number E3857.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
At some point prior to the Ford F/Pierce mini, Elkins ran this International/Pierce mini. I have no other information on this truck and any help would be appreciated.

You will see from the Elkins photos that they have used a vareity of different colors for their trucks.

Photo taken in August 1976

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Engine 406 at Elkins is a 2004 International 4400/Smeal with a 1250/1000. Smeal serial number 401101.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is my favorite at Elkins....

Elkins, WV

Tower 402

1980 Sutphen 100'

1250/300

serial number HS-1547

ex- Altamonte Springs, FL

When Elkins purchased this Sutphen tower, they also brought home a Chevrolet beverage style HAZMAT unit. I was not able to photograph this truck and my understanding is that it will be replaced soon.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is what the 1980 Sutphen replaced....this older International/Sutphen 85'. Ron advised me that this Sutphen is still in service at a department not far from Elkins.

Anyone have information on this truck? Year, purchased new, etc.?

Photograph taken in August 1976

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
More from Elkins...

Engine 403

1995 Sutphen

1500/1000

s/n HB-3093

ex- demo

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I undestand this is the city reserve truck in Elkins and will probably be the next engine to be replaced

Elkins,WV

Engine 407

1981 International S2500/Pierce

1000/50

job # E-0960

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The Elkins station does not have much room in the front for moving apparatus out and Engine 40 is kept in the very back behind other apparatus. So Ron just backed it out the rear station door and I photographed it there.

Elkins, WV

Engine 401

1989 Pierce Dash

1250/1000

job # E5440

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Maryland apparatus fans may recognize this one....

Elkins, WV

Rescue 40

1994 PemFab Imperial/Ranger

ex- Burtonsville, Maryland (Montgomery County)

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I will finish Elkins with a couple of older apparatus. I do not have much information on these trucks, so any help is appreciated.

Elkins, WV

Ford F/American

no other info

photo taken in August of 1976

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA