Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Kensington, PA Bureau of Fire

October 2010, Engine 3 was the first at a 2 alarm WSF involving 3 houses.  At one tome during this incident, Engine 3 had a 2.5", (3) 1.75" handlines and a deck gun flowing while that Maxidyne was growling.  This would be the last structure fire she pumped before her retirement.  My son at the pump pamel during cleanup.  This is his baby too.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department

The same fire.  It was 6 months later that the very last open cab CF in front line service would be retired after serving 41 years in front line service.  It was placed out of service in April of 2011.  It is still in New Kensington and enjoying retirement.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

The new Engine 3.  2010 Spartan Gladiator/4-Guys  2,000 gpm Waterous 2-stage/500 gwt.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Saturday June 4, 2011, dedication of Engine 3.  The 49, the Mack and the new Engine 3. 

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Quote:do u guts still have the open cab mack
Both open cab Macks are still in New Kensington.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Quote:What sort of change is coming to the N.K.F.D., Ed?
The city administration at last Wednesday's council meeting approved the purchase of an engine as an upgrade to Engine 5.  Currently, we are working to have the replacement hauled back so a few thing can be done and it be placed in service.  Photos will be posted soon.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

That's good, Ed.  I'm glad to see both Macks still in the City.  What kind of Engine did you buy?

On Tuesday, this Seagrave TB model will arrive in the City of New Kensington and begin it's journey to serve as Engine 5.  Thanks to the support of our Mayor & Council, the city purcgased this rig to replace Engine 5.  This Seagrave has a 2,000 gpm 2-stage Waterous pump, 750 gallon booster tank, and a 40 gallon foam tank.  Once it is inspected, and relettered along with a few changes, it will go in service as Engine 5. 

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Quote:[Image: attachicon.gif]Seagrave.jpg

On Tuesday, this Seagrave TB model will arrive in the City of New Kensington and begin it's journey to serve as Engine 5.  Thanks to the support of our Mayor & Council, the city purcgased this rig to replace Engine 5.  This Seagrave has a 2,000 gpm 2-stage Waterous pump, 750 gallon booster tank, and a 40 gallon foam tank.  Once it is inspected, and relettered along with a few changes, it will go in service as Engine 5. 
This rig started out with a department in New Jersey (cant remember which one) and has a mural on the side compartments of all of their rigs up to this one.  Then the Seagrave was purchased by Stratford, CT as a stop-gap measure to help with their apparatus problems they were experiencing.  It was placed into service as Engine 2 at the Huntington Ave station and saw quite a fair share of its work.  I had thought this was going to be a spare for Stratford or was for a short time.  Engine 2 now is a Sutphen mid-mount 75' quint similar to the one purchased for Milford, CT.   Also prior Stratford Engine 2 was mid 1980s Pierce Arrow with a 50' telesquirt, this rig was placed into service after Engine 2 was re-opened in the mid-1990s after being closed for about 5 to 7 years.
Quote:This rig started out with a department in New Jersey (cant remember which one) and has a mural on the side compartments of all of their rigs up to this one.  Then the Seagrave was purchased by Stratford, CT as a stop-gap measure to help with their apparatus problems they were experiencing.  It was placed into service as Engine 2 at the Huntington Ave station and saw quite a fair share of its work.  I had thought this was going to be a spare for Stratford or was for a short time.  Engine 2 now is a Sutphen mid-mount 75' quint similar to the one purchased for Milford, CT.   Also prior Stratford Engine 2 was mid 1980s Pierce Arrow with a 50' telesquirt, this rig was placed into service after Engine 2 was re-opened in the mid-1990s after being closed for about 5 to 7 years.
It was originally East Rutherford, NJ protecting the Meadowlands.  In 2008, it was sold to the Town of Strattford, CT.  It also served as Engine 7 for a while, then as a reserve for the remainder of it's duty.  Due to recent delivery of new apparatus, this became the oldest engine in the fleet and was placed for sale.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Quote:This rig started out with a department in New Jersey (cant remember which one) and has a mural on the side compartments of all of their rigs up to this one.  Then the Seagrave was purchased by Stratford, CT as a stop-gap measure to help with their apparatus problems they were experiencing.  It was placed into service as Engine 2 at the Huntington Ave station and saw quite a fair share of its work.  I had thought this was going to be a spare for Stratford or was for a short time.  Engine 2 now is a Sutphen mid-mount 75' quint similar to the one purchased for Milford, CT.   Also prior Stratford Engine 2 was mid 1980s Pierce Arrow with a 50' telesquirt, this rig was placed into service after Engine 2 was re-opened in the mid-1990s after being closed for about 5 to 7 years.

From what we were told, it was a frontline piece for a year or two but has spent most of its time in reserve status.  The new Sutphen 75 footer is replacing a 2002 Pierce Dash rescue pumper as Engine 2.  Here is the Pierce next to the Seagrave a few weeks ago when we inspected it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Congrats on the new rig.  I will be the first time in 27 years that Engines 4 and 5 weren't identical twins.  I remember when they were identical Ward LaFrance Pumpers, and then the Kenworth/FMC rigs.

Quote:Congrats on the new rig.  I will be the first time in 27 years that Engines 4 and 5 weren't identical twins.  I remember when they were identical Ward LaFrance Pumpers, and then the Kenworth/FMC rigs.
Actually, it will be the first time in 57 years that they will not be twins.  In 1956 the city purchased 2 1956 Ford F-750/American Lafrances.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

wow nice looking rig, what does #4 currently run as a engine or do they still run the kenworth/fmc

Company 4 still runs the Kenworth/FMC.

It's about time you smartened up and got a Seagrave in that town!
Question, and if I somehow overlooked it, I apologize for asking twice- I notice some trucks are bought used, to me it's a very good practice, that, probably more departments should exercise instead of buying new. How come some of the trucks are bought new (Engines 2, and 3) and then some are bought used like Engine 5 above? What determines (if anything besides money) what trucks are ordered new, and what is replaced with used, such as the Air Truck and Rescue?

Best of luck with the Seagrave, hope it serves you guys well!

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:Question, and if I somehow overlooked it, I apologize for asking twice- I notice some trucks are bought used, to me it's a very good practice, that, probably more departments should exercise instead of buying new. How come some of the trucks are bought new (Engines 2, and 3) and then some are bought used like Engine 5 above? What determines (if anything besides money) what trucks are ordered new, and what is replaced with used, such as the Air Truck and Rescue?

Best of luck with the Seagrave, hope it serves you guys well!

Trav!
I will explain.  The city buys the engines and the ladder truck.  Every front line engine, and there are 5 was always purchased new as well as the aerial.  In 2001, our neighboring fire department, Lower Burrell No. 3 purchased a new Pierce Dash.  Their 1970/1988 Mack CF was placed for sale as they did not need it.  Our city purchased it and it was placed in service as Engine 2 due to a 4 door cab enclosure, more compartments etc.  At that time the 1979 Hamerly at Engine 2 was still in good shape and was placed in reserve status.  In 2008, an AFG grant successfully replaced the Mack.  Also, by that time, the Hamerly needed pump work and it was not going to be wise to dump a lot of money into a 30 year old rig that had a canopy cab and a standard transmission.  So it and the ex Lower Burrell Mack were sold.  So a 1980 American LaFrance Century, refurbed in 1992 by Lady & Taylor, was purchased to serve as a reserve.  In 2010 a successful AFG grant replaced Engine 3.  Engine 3 was a 1970 Mack CF refurbed in 1991 and served well for 41 years.  It is time to replace both engines at 4 & 5, however the city cannot afford such a purchase.  We have been looking for an engine within the means of the budget to fit Engine 5's demands.  After numerous trips to look and test, the Seagrave fit the mold perfectly.  As for Engine 1, it was purchased new in 1990. and Engines 4 & 5 were new in 1986.  But the air truck, rescues, service trucks and squads are purchased by the individual companies.  Station 1, downtown, houses Engine's 1 & 6, Truck 1, Air 1, and Squad 1.  Station 2, south end, houses Engine 2 and Service 2 (a heavy rescue), and Squad 2.  Station 3, hill district, houses Engine & Squad 3.  Station 4, east end, houses Engine 4, Rescue 4 and Squad 4.  And Station 5, north side, houses Engine 5, Service 5 (Re-Hab unit) and Squad 5.  Also, our department provides an ALS ambulance with 3 ambulances and a wheel chair van.  These are purchased by the Ambulance Corp.  Hope that helps.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Quote:It's about time you smartened up and got a Seagrave in that town!
Well Thanks for the comment.  I'm sure it will serve us well, but a Mack CF would be a perfect buy!
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

How is the fire duty up there?

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD