Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4-Guys Fire Apparatus
[quote name='ldrco195' timestamp='1328998012' post='474289']

Looks more like a simple mini pumper, not a watersupply type rig. Of course, i have been known to be wrong once in a while.

[/quote]

Based on the size of the vehicle and the size of the hosebed on said vehicle, it certainly appears to be a water supply rig to me. Very easy for one or two people to access a pond, stream, etc with a lightweight vehicle, drop a lot of supply line on the ground, pick up a draft, and be good to go.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
[quote name='Roto-Ray' timestamp='1329002291' post='474299']

Based on the size of the vehicle and the size of the hosebed on said vehicle, it certainly appears to be a water supply rig to me. Very easy for one or two people to access a pond, stream, etc with a lightweight vehicle, drop a lot of supply line on the ground, pick up a draft, and be good to go.

[/quote]

Taylor, there isnt a pump on this. It is just a manifold with discharges.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
[quote name='OPEN CAB MACK' timestamp='1329010457' post='474329']

Taylor, there isnt a pump on this. It is just a manifold with discharges.

[/quote]

Very interesting! Thanks for the information...provides a discussion point with some of my guys about how such a rig could be used in their operations. Do you happen to know why they purchased it without a pump?
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Rumson Fire Dept in NJ has a rig that's just like this.
TR2FD "The River City Express" Engine 71, Engine 31, and Rescue 2

Stay Alert-Stay Alive
I've never been through White Oak but many of the boroughs outside of Pittsburgh have very narrow streets/alleys and hard to access industrial areas. The manifold wagon concept will probably work similar to the way FDNY does it. [url="http://www.unyquefiretrucks.com/FDNY_E329_-_ATRV.html"]http://www.unyquefiretrucks.com/FDNY_E329_-_ATRV.html[/url]

Anyone know if the rescue engine that Rainbow VFC rolled in 2009 was a 4 Guys and if it got repaired?
Adam,

It should be back in service.
[quote name='nolderpkp' timestamp='1329076453' post='474464']

I've never been through White Oak but many of the boroughs outside of Pittsburgh have very narrow streets/alleys and hard to access industrial areas. The manifold wagon concept will probably work similar to the way FDNY does it. [url="http://www.unyquefiretrucks.com/FDNY_E329_-_ATRV.html"]http://www.unyquefir...329_-_ATRV.html[/url]

Anyone know if the rescue engine that Rainbow VFC rolled in 2009 was a 4 Guys and if it got repaired?

[/quote]Really not that much in the way of narrow streets and hard to access industrial areas in White Oak. Will have to talk to one of the guys I know there to see what the plan is.

Their rescue-engine is a Spartan/Crimson. It was repaired and back in service relatively quickly after the accident. From the pictures I saw and people I talked to, the damage appearred to be largely superficial, no major structural issues.

[img]chrome://interclue/content/cluecore/skins/default/pixel.gif[/img][img]chrome://interclue/content/cluecore/skins/default/pixel.gif[/img]
[quote name='FireMedic049' timestamp='1329186680' post='474674']

Really not that much in the way of narrow streets and hard to access industrial areas in White Oak. Will have to talk to one of the guys I know there to see what the plan is.

Their rescue-engine is a Spartan/Crimson. It was repaired and back in service relatively quickly after the accident. From the pictures I saw and people I talked to, the damage appearred to be largely superficial, no major structural issues.

[img]chrome://interclue/content/cluecore/skins/default/pixel.gif[/img][img]chrome://interclue/content/cluecore/skins/default/pixel.gif[/img]

[/quote]

The manifold wagon would also work for unimproved, narrow, or overgrown residential & farm driveways that would block or delay a full sized apparatus.
[quote name='obtuse moose' timestamp='1330045181' post='475724']

The manifold wagon would also work for unimproved, narrow, or overgrown residential & farm driveways that would block or delay a full sized apparatus.

[/quote]True, but there really isn't much of that in White Oak either. I can see a benefit to a mini-pumper for them, but just not seeing an obvious use for this unit.

This month's been pretty hectic, haven't gotten the chance to talk to anybody over there yet to see what the plan is.
Just talked to one of the guys I know at Rainbow in White Oak.

They opted for no pump in order to keep the overall weight of the vehicle down. There are a few places where residences sit not too far off the roadway, but apparatus would have to cross a small bridge with a low weight limit over a creek to get to it. Plus, it sounded like the acquisition was partly in response to the accident with their Rescue-Engine. The accident happened while trying to access a more remote location on a narrow access road. The shoulder gave way under the weight of the vehicle and the unit layed over on its side.

So, one of the primary uses for it will be accessing these properties and relying on a regular apparatus to pump thru them.

Delivered 2 weeks ago to Harrison Hills Volunteer Fire Company N0. 4 in Allegheny County, PA.  2013 Spartan Gladiator Evolution.  2,000 gpm Hale, 1,000 gwt, class A & B foam tanks and a Husky foam system.  Ity is to be lettered this week.  Not the greatest picture, I will try to shoot this outside in the sun.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Delivered 3 weeks ago to Sardis Volunteer Fire Company in Westmoreland County, PA.  2013 Mack Granite 3,000 gallon tanker.  This replaced a 4-Guys Mack RD model tanker. (Credit to the photographer)

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Quote:H.H.V.F.C..jpg

Delivered 2 weeks ago to Harrison Hills Volunteer Fire Company N0. 4 in Allegheny County, PA.  2013 Spartan Gladiator Evolution.  1,500 gpm Hale, 1,000 gwt, class A & B foam tanks and a Husky foam system.  Ity is to be lettered this week.  Not the greatest picture, I will try to shoot this outside in the sun.

Ed . I be leave the foam system is the same as Eureka's Engine, Foam Pro 3012

Here is the Harrison Hills engine after being lettered.  2,000 gpm/1,000 gwt, 50gal. class B, 30 gal. class A.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Quote:[Image: attachicon.gif]HHVFC 2.jpg

Here is the Harrison Hills engine after being lettered.  2,000 gpm/1,000 gwt, 50gal. class B, 30 gal. class A.
Thats a nice posed shot.
Patrick Shoop Sr.

Lewistown, PA.
Quote:Thats a nice posed shot.
Only because of your placement.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

I guess Harrison Hills got rid of the Hahn?

Quote:I guess Harrison Hills got rid of the Hahn?
I think they still have it. It  does belong to the township. But the new ENGINE was a grant rig, so its history.
Buddy of mine w/ family way up in the northern tip of maine showed me a article of a large fire in Frenchville, in the article pictures at the end is a couple photos of a 70's vintage International Fleetstar Engine-Tanker (believe to be from St Agatha Maine) arriving on scene w/ a what I am almost positive is a 4 Guys Body.  Wondering if it is familiar to anybody because I highly doubt it originally belonged to any of the departments up there.  Here's link to the article http://fiddleheadfocus.com/content/00172...-afternoon

While at 4-Guys today to drop off our Seagrave for some work, these 9 brand new chassis were awaiting in the chassis lot for bodies

Attached Files Image(s)

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief