Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ottawa Fire Services
upstatefire31, 

the design of the rig was to have most the lines come off the rear of the truck, with 1 attack line in the front bumper and trash line on the officer side, first compartment. We always leave the front door for the ladder so this design works well for our operations and tactics. 

Ty

Pump 56 runs this 2005 Spartan Metro Star/Carl Thibault 1250/500, and is set up as a rescue pumper.  This is one of the busiest trucks in the city.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Car 50 has now been assigned this 2013 Tahoe instead of the 2012 model, which was reassigned.

Car 6 is the on duty Platoon Chief, and is a 2012 Tahoe.  The Platoon Chief is the senior chief officer on duty in the stations, and is essentially, the citywide tour commander.

Safety 23 is the department's on duty Safety Officer, which is a Captain's rank.  The Safety Officer responds citywide to all working fires, extrications, technical rescues, water/ice rescues, hazmat calls and any other incident with increased to risk to personnel, as well as attending all collisions involving fire apparatus, and all injuries to firefighters while on duty, amongst other duties.  The SO is automatically assigned to these types of calls, but can also self dispatch.  

This 2013 Tahoe is assigned as Safety 23. There is no rear seat, the doors open to reveal compartments.  This well thought out unit, can be extremely busy, and can have some runs over 45 minutes in length!

Shot of opportunity, One of the mechanics stopped in at the station the other day, and I was able to snag a quick photo of the 2014 Sprinter mechanical support unit, 1 of 3 identical units.  Mechanical services are provided by the city's Fleet Services Department, which dedicates a number of mechanics to fire apparatus.  These new units are the first to be lettered as support vehicles for fire services.

Another shot of opportunity, shot at headquarters is the Public Information Officer unit.  The PIO is the official spokesman for Ottawa Fire and is the lead media relations member.  This vehicle still has the older striping/graphics version.

Squad 91 is this Chevrolet.

Quote:Pump 56 runs this 2005 Spartan Metro Star/Carl Thibault 1250/500, and is set up as a rescue pumper.  This is one of the busiest trucks in the city.

I believe it. I am currently staying at the Courtyard Marriot across the street.
Quote:I believe it. I am currently staying at the Courtyard Marriot across the street.
If you are still in the city, I am on duty today at station 24, 230 Viewmount Drive.  Come on by
Quote:If you are still in the city, I am on duty today at station 24, 230 Viewmount Drive.  Come on by

I flew out early Friday morning. I am up there 4 times a year so next time I will contact you.
Training Pump 1 is this 2013 KME 1250/600/20.  Shot at a public display at Algonquin College.

This is one of 2 2014 Sprinter vans set up as Fire Investigation Units.  These are used by the on call fire investigators and are equipped with a full office, isolated from the vehicles exhaust fumes.

Ken when is the new hazmat due in?

Went down to EVI's plant in Florida for a midpoint inspection this week, on the new hazmat truck.  Looking at possibly an early to mid August delivery, although not yet confirmed.

Thanks Ken, that was a big coincidence lol!

how many new KME'S are you guys getting i saw 2 of them there yesterday
Quote:how many new KME'S are you guys getting i saw 2 of them there yesterday
12 more for a total of twenty four.
Quote:12 more for a total of twenty four.

what part of the fleet is that.

This may have been covered but how many engines and trucks does the department run. 
Quote: 

what part of the fleet is that.

This may have been covered but how many engines and trucks does the department run. 
38 front line pumpers, 11 front line pumper tankers, 2 pumpers for training and about 10 in reserve.  There is one station that runs a CAFS equipped midi pumper.  21 ladders in total including reserves.