Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OCEAN CITY VFC, MD
Rescue 18.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tanker 19

and lastly Tanker 20. next year I want to get the last rig that has eluded me, Tower 6. horrible location and no manpower to move it anywhere, but I do have hope! lol

and it doesnt really fit here, but anyone coming down Route 1 in Delaware to Ocean City will recognize this one.

I am glad someone was able to photograph some Ocean City rigs while they were in town. I too was in town the same time you were and had ZERO luck as well. I attempted to stop and get pics of the Snorkel on 3 occassions and everytime I stopped there wasn't a sole in sight. I figured I would get lucky on Saturday/Sunday but again no one around. I too headed out to Berlin to attempt to get pictures of some rigs. When I got there all the bay doors were up with no one on the truck floor. I rang the door bell and a guy in a uniform came to the door. He stated "we are going out on a call" and proceeded to the front of the firehouse, shut all the bay doors and not a single rig ever left the firehouse. I found it all rather strange. I did get lucky in Ocean Pines and shot the 2 Seagraves which made my day!!
Mike,

This is what I have on the snorkel. My guess on the chassis is because Pierce made have not made a chassis at that time to handle the snorkel - thus a Duplex ? What other OC rigs did you shoot ? I see they are starting to change the graphics on the rigs - even the older stuff.

Bruce

1983 Pierce Arrow, canopy cab, 1500/200, 85 ft Pitman snorkel removed from the 1965 Ford C chassis by Pierce, sent to Interstate Mack in 1994 for refurb,
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' timestamp='1313341506' post='452987']next up is an interesting one. its Snorkel 711. I see here that the snorkel is originally off the 65 Ford, remounted on a 1983 Pierce Arrow Chassis. it carries Pierce serial F-0810. does anyone know why it also has a duplex serial number tag and plate?[/quote]

If I remember right the original Arrows would be built on a Oshgosh chassie or Duplex chassie. I don't know how it was decided. Our 1980 Pierce Arrow LTI was on an Oshgosh chassie. Later Pierce started their own chassie building.

Stay Safe

Rick
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
I did Ocean City Saturday morning. I was at Sta 2 at 845 and Sta 5 from 11-12. I have never had a problem in Berlin, always found them to be very accomodating. I have only been there on a weekday though, dont know if that makes a difference or not.

[quote name='keepinitsafe' timestamp='1313387013' post='453154']

I am glad someone was able to photograph some Ocean City rigs while they were in town. I too was in town the same time you were and had ZERO luck as well. I attempted to stop and get pics of the Snorkel on 3 occassions and everytime I stopped there wasn't a sole in sight. I figured I would get lucky on Saturday/Sunday but again no one around. I too headed out to Berlin to attempt to get pictures of some rigs. When I got there all the bay doors were up with no one on the truck floor. I rang the door bell and a guy in a uniform came to the door. He stated "we are going out on a call" and proceeded to the front of the firehouse, shut all the bay doors and not a single rig ever left the firehouse. I found it all rather strange. I did get lucky in Ocean Pines and shot the 2 Seagraves which made my day!!

[/quote]
thanks Bruce and Rick!

[quote name='BA000049' timestamp='1313408384' post='453156']

Mike,

This is what I have on the snorkel. My guess on the chassis is because Pierce made have not made a chassis at that time to handle the snorkel - thus a Duplex ? What other OC rigs did you shoot ? I see they are starting to change the graphics on the rigs - even the older stuff.

Bruce

1983 Pierce Arrow, canopy cab, 1500/200, 85 ft Pitman snorkel removed from the 1965 Ford C chassis by Pierce, sent to Interstate Mack in 1994 for refurb,

[/quote]
Mike,

I have this as a 750 GPM pump.

Bruce

[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' timestamp='1313341732' post='452994']and lastly Tanker 20. next year I want to get the last rig that has eluded me, Tower 6. horrible location and no manpower to move it anywhere, but I do have hope! lol[/quote]
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' timestamp='1313341799' post='452995']

and it doesnt really fit here, but anyone coming down Route 1 in Delaware to Ocean City will recognize this one.

[/quote]

I'm glad you shot that, Ive always wondered whose rig that was and never thought to stop in myself and check it out. I believe my ex girlfriends father is friends with the owner of either that rig or the store it sits behind and theyre probably both owned by the same person.
Berlin is usually welcoming to pixers especially if you find one of the vollies. I have found at times some of the paid EMS folks are not so much. They hang in a little office area in the back above the EMS bays on the south side. All in the luck of the visit. Nothing like the bazaar visit I had at Mount Vernon (Somerset Co 6) a few years back (like I was on some terrorist list or something). As for Ocean City best time is spring or fall or of course at an incident. FYI Tuesday evenings are drill nights in the county so sometimes you can a good shot of something.
Does Ocean City have anything on order or in the planning phase currently? I thought I remebered reading somewhere about something being replaced but possibly I am mistaking it for another department.
PA Fire Apparatus Rosters & News:
https://www.facebook.com/fireapparatusnews
new KME aerial device, I think its a rearmount tower, but dont hold me to it.
Which Unit is it replacing? The Snorkel?
Yes I believe the snorkel is getting replaced. They also have a Tanker on order too if I remember right. And a new fireboat should be here any day.
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Can anyone provide specs and expected delivery dates of the units on order?
nothing is ordered. aerial, and eng-tanker are in apparatus committee stage

boat probably winter, or early spring
I'm looking for any photos or information on an old Ocean City apparatus.  OCFD provided the chassis to Sutphen, who installed a front mount pump in the 1973-1974 time frame.  Sutphen gave it production number HS-978.  Any help would be appreciated.

Quote:I'm looking for any photos or information on an old Ocean City apparatus.  OCFD provided the chassis to Sutphen, who installed a front mount pump in the 1973-1974 time frame.  Sutphen gave it production number HS-978.  Any help would be appreciated.

Dave,

E-Mail me (ba000049@aol) I have their whole apparatus history.

Bruce
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region