Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Virginia - Need help
Almost forgot!

The Valley mini pump was built by the members if they did not mention it. The fire body was bought from one of our Putnam Co, neighbors and mounted in the Ford chassis. All American a former E One dealer did the pump rebuild and final hook ups. The dept. handled lights,radios,etc.
[quote name='GA_Dave' post='198845' date='Mar 21 2008, 20:49 ']My shot of Rescue 404 from Elkins is a bit different, when was yours taken?[/quote]

Rescue 404 was sold to Shirley VFD in WV. It was in service until we purchased the rescue from Burtonsville.

Ron

Elkins FD
Here's the old Elkins rig that I mentioned in a previous post.

Slide was taken way back in July 1984, minutes before it started to rain.

ELKINS, WV Engine 6

1976 International L1700/1969 Sutphen 500/750

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I spent this past Friday in the Harpers Ferry - Bolivar area and was treated very nicely by the members of Station 1. The Friendship Fire Company protects both areas (Harpers Ferry and Bolivar) and runs mutual aide with my county in Virginia - Loudoun County. They often run with Loudoun Station 16 - Neersville.

I was battling clouds all day where the sun was hit and miss.

First up at Friendship is Engine 1, a 2002 Pierce Dash 1750/500 with a 61'. Job number 13170. It runs as the department's rescue engine.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Engine 1-2 at Friendship is a 1989 Pierce Arrow 1250/1000 with job # E5439.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Tanker duties are handled by this 1997 Freightliner 80/S&S 750/2200 with serial number 2886. Tanker 1 was an S&S demo.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Brush 1 at Friendship is a 1993 Chevrolet 3500 with a 175/230.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Two ambulances run from Friendship. Ambulance 1 is a 1992 Ford F350/MedTec that was purchased from the Neersville VFD in Loudoun County, Virginia.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Ambulance 1-2 is this 2003 Ford F450 with a 1994 P&L ambulance body. It previously had a Chevrolet cab.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
SERV 1 (Special Emergency Response Vehicle) is a 2006 GMC.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The Chief's ride is this 1999 GMC 1500 that was previously a Jefferson County, WV ALS chase vehicle.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Lot's of history in Harpers Ferry.

Here is the FD logo.

One final item on Harpers Ferry - Bolivar....the FD recently received their old 1948 Chevrolet/Oren pumper and will begin the process of having it restored. It was at a camp ground in the Stephens City, Virginia area (just outside of Winchester) and the FD was called asking if they would like to get back their old truck. The answer was yes.

That wraps up Harpers Ferry - Bolivar.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike - Thanks. Great job! Especially on the correct spelling of Harpers.

Here's more info on the history of the firehouse in their decal

[url="http://www.nps.gov/archive/hafe/jbfort.htm"]http://www.nps.gov/archive/hafe/jbfort.htm[/url]

Phil, Bklyn.
Work this week took me to Southwest Virginia near the West Virginia line, and I had the opportunity to visit and stop at several West VA FD's.

Princeton, West Virginia operates from two stations.

Their main station operates two engines and a quint. Engine 30 is this unusual ALF.

Princeton, WV

Engine 30

1990 Spartan Diamond/ALF

1250/750

s/n 14605 - built in ALF's facility in Bluefield, VA

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Also at the Princeton main station is Ladder 1....

Princeton, WVA

Ladder 1

2006 Smeal Sirius

1250/500

75'

s/n 600140

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The guys at Princeton were very accomodating for a late afternoon visit. After seeing the first station, I followed the on-duty officer to Princeton's sub station which houses an engine, aerial, and a variety of trailers.

Engine 33 is a 2000 Freightliner 70/Smeal 1250/1000 with s/n 007080. Princeton's main station also operates another Freightliner engine.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The Spartan/ALF engine was unique, but I really enjoyed finding this aerial still in service.

Aerial 1

1976 Ford C8000/Alleghany/Pierce with a 85' Snorkel. 1000 gpm with no water tank. Pierce Job number 8926-C. Interesting variety of manufacturers were used on this Snorkel.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I'm looking, Mike!!!
Early the next morning I made my way to a business meeting and passed a variety of very rural West VA fire departments. I did not have time to stop and nobody was around. I did, however, find this unique station outside of Bluefield, Virginia.

I don't have any history of why the ALF front is on the station, but I found it unique. I was not able to find out what apparatus is behind the doors at Bluewall, West VA.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
A closer shot....

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA