South Metro Medic 46

2006 Ford E-450 / PL Custom

South Metro DeCon 3

2013 International

South Metro Tender 46

1987 International 6x6 500/3000

South Metro Engine 47 - Parker

2009 Pierce Velocity 1500/1500 CAFS

I was able to photograph the new South Metro Red 2 today between training sessions with Oshkosh. 

2015 Ford F-550 4x4 / Oshkosh Stinger

300 gallons of water, 40 gallons of foam, 450lbs Purple K & 250 gpm pump

South Metro Red 1 is also being replaced this year.  Crash Rescue Equipment Service is completely rebuilding a 1987 Oshkosh T-2500 with all new equipment.  This photo is from SMFR and is about a week or two old now from the produciton line.

Littleton Engine 16

2015 Pierce Dash CF 650 gallons of water, 40 gallons of foam, 1500 gpm

Quote:South Metro Red 1 is also being replaced this year.  Crash Rescue Equipment Service is completely rebuilding a 1987 Oshkosh T-2500 with all new equipment.  This photo is from SMFR and is about a week or two old now from the produciton line.
[Image: attachicon.gif]<a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.firepics.net/groupboards/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=325667">Red1.jpg</a>
Interesting. The T-2500 is pretty rare, essentially a T-3000 with a smaller water tank and were built for the PANYNJ, IIRC.
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Quote:Interesting. The T-2500 is pretty rare, essentially a T-3000 with a smaller water tank and were built for the PANYNJ, IIRC.

I'm not sure how they decided on that model but CRES's website says they keep 15-20 used ARFF rigs of various sizes in stock ready to be worked on.
Quote:I'm not sure how they decided on that model but CRES's website says they keep 15-20 used ARFF rigs of various sizes in stock ready to be worked on.

It certainly looks like it'll practically be a brand new rig, judging by the level of tear down.
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
The new South Metro Brush Engine 39

2014 International Navistar 7400 4x4 / BME Model 34

500 gpm primary pump / 140 gpm axillary pump / 500 gal water with 25 gal Class A Foam, auxilary pump & roll capability, front spray bars and dual bumper lines.  This unit was designed with Firefighter comfort in mind since it will deploy nationally.  Each of the four seats recline, have storage and USB power.  The box is consierably taller than most Type III's to carry the personal deployment bags of the firefighters in top access compartments.

Quote:The new South Metro Brush Engine 39

This unit was designed with Firefighter comfort in mind since it will deploy nationally.  

Great looking truck. Is this unit attached to some US Forest Service operation or something? Why will it be deployed Nationally is what I'm asking?.... We've got trucks around here in Texas that maybe called to somewhere else in the State. I haven't heard of them going outside of the state though. Not saying they haven't, Just haven't heard of it.

Thanks for sharing!
Quote: 

Great looking truck. Is this unit attached to some US Forest Service operation or something? Why will it be deployed Nationally is what I'm asking?.... We've got trucks around here in Texas that maybe called to somewhere else in the State. I haven't heard of them going outside of the state though. Not saying they haven't, Just haven't heard of it.

Thanks for sharing!

Yes, SMFR is contracted as a federal cooperator for apparatus and overhead personnel.  At any given time we will have a Type I, Type III and Type VI Engine listed for national 14 day deployment commitment.  Once an engine is requested we may remove the others from availability in the ROSS (Resource Order Status System) if we have high fire danger locally.  We have numerous wildland team members with various qualifications in management or support roles who can be requested individually also.  In recent apparatus posts I have shared photos of Wildland 39 & 41 which can both be used for individual deployment.  Every year our engines end up out of state a few times, usually within the Rocky Mountain region.  Last year Brush Engine 39 was in California for 21 days.  At the 12 day mark a new crew of 4 firefighters flew out and did a crew change with them.   

Locally we have a 12 hour free of charge mutual aid agreement across the state.  Our units will respond with predetermined strike teams or task forces for those incidents and we don't get reimbursed for it.  We had some catastrophic fires over the past couple years (Waldo Canyon & Black Forest) where we deployed on mutual aid and stayed for a couple days.  At some point after the fact disaster funds will cover some of that cost. 
Quote:Interesting. The T-2500 is pretty rare, essentially a T-3000 with a smaller water tank and were built for the PANYNJ, IIRC.
I spoke with SMFR's Fleet Services Chief tonight, he said the T-2500 came from Canada but wasn't sure what department.  They're going down to Texas for final inspection the first week of May and it's planned to be in service the first week of June.
Quote: 

Yes, SMFR is contracted as a federal cooperator for apparatus and overhead personnel.  At any given time we will have a Type I, Type III and Type VI Engine listed for national 14 day deployment commitment.  Once an engine is requested we may remove the others from availability in the ROSS (Resource Order Status System) if we have high fire danger locally.  We have numerous wildland team members with various qualifications in management or support roles who can be requested individually also.  In recent apparatus posts I have shared photos of Wildland 39 & 41 which can both be used for individual deployment.  Every year our engines end up out of state a few times, usually within the Rocky Mountain region.  Last year Brush Engine 39 was in California for 21 days.  At the 12 day mark a new crew of 4 firefighters flew out and did a crew change with them.   

Locally we have a 12 hour free of charge mutual aid agreement across the state.  Our units will respond with predetermined strike teams or task forces for those incidents and we don't get reimbursed for it.  We had some catastrophic fires over the past couple years (Waldo Canyon & Black Forest) where we deployed on mutual aid and stayed for a couple days.  At some point after the fact disaster funds will cover some of that cost. 

Thanks for the information! Very interesting.
Poor shooting conditions today but I thought I would share anyway...

South Metro Tower 35

2015 Pierce Velocity 1500 / 300 / 95'

SMFR also took delivery of two new water tenders.  Here are some photos of opportunity of Tender 45 waiting in line at fleet to get worked on.

2015 Kenworth / Pierce with a 3,000 gallon water tank & 1,000 gpm pump.  There are two 1 3/4" and one 2 1/2" cross-lay so these can function as tactical tenders in the wildland interface areas.