Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Kensington, PA Bureau of Fire
This 1974 Ford C/Hackney ex beverage truck became the second Haz-Mat truck of the bureau.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
This 1978 ex Unifirst delivery truck was donated to the bureau for use as the command post.  A picture of this was posted earlier in the thread.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

The Haz-Mat team was discontinued in the early 2000's.  The Haz-Mat truck was sold and the command post turned into a service truck for No. 2.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Ed,

I was hoping you could take a minute to explain how the department is organized.

Does the City purchase the apparatus, or the individual companies?  If the companies purchase the apparatus, is there a replacement plan or coordination with the city?

Does each company operate as it's own corporation with chiefs and company officers, or do they simply fall under the command of the the NKFD?

Thanks...

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Taylor, it will take more than a minute.  But I don't mind. 

The city was incorporated as a borough in November of 1891.  The Aluminum Company of America was incorporated in the fall of 1891 with their very first plant being in New Kensington, hence, the designation:  "The Aluminum City".  The very first civic organization was Citizens Volunteer Fire Company.  They were organized on November 20, 1891 after the "Rhodes" fire on November 17 1891.  Goodwill Hose Company No. 2 was organized on September 1, 1899 and Hilltop Hose Company No. 3 was organized on July 22, 1904.  These 3 companies made up the department.  Goodwill Hose was disbanded in in 1915.  To the south of New Kensington was Parnassus Borough.  They had a fire department consisting of 1 company, Parnassus Volunteer Fire Department.  They answered alarms in Parnassus and also in the Mt. Vernon section of New Kensington where there was no fire protection.  Citizens Hose (No. 1) purchased a hose cart from Kittanning Fire dept.  One of the first pieces of motorized equipment for No. 1 was a 1923 Lippert Stewart Truck that was built by the members of No. 1.  Most of who worked at the Alcoa plant.  New Kensington grew as an industrial mecca with over 20,000 people working in the borough.  Parnassus Borough had built a 1925 Peerless chemical truck.  The hose cart from No. 1 went to No. 3 and in 1918 the borough bought Engine 3 which was an American LaFrance 1,000 gpm pumper.  Sometime in the 1920's, there were 5 men hired as paid drivers.  They belonged to IAFF Local 2453.  Also in the 20's the Gamewell system was installed throughout most of New Kensington.   In 1927 the borough purchased an American LaFrance engine and ladder truck.  In 1931, New Kensington annexed Parnassus Borough and also 2 other large annexations.   One to the east and the other in the north.  Both of these areas had a fire stations as they were part of Lower Burrell Township.  The station to the east was East Kensington Lower Burrell No. 1, this became New Kensington No. 4.  The one in the north was Valley Heights Lower Burrell No. 2, this became New Kensington No. 5  .At this time, New Kensington became a 3rd class city and the city.  They  expanded the Gamewell system and there was a paid driver assigned to each station, with a sixth driver hired.  Most of the times there were 2 drivers on duty at a time.  No. 1 was and still is headquarters of the department and was manned 16 hours a day by the paid driver.  When the driver was not on duty, the chief was there.   No. 1 has housed the aerial ladder truck and 2 engines since 1935.  Also the cascade system was located there.  Back then and now, each station has an assistant chief, captain, lieutenants.  Today the stations also have an engineers position and a safety officer.  The city has bought and maintained the 6 engines and ladder truck along with maintaining the 5 stations.  There is a budget for the fire bureau and a line item to maintain the apparatus and also a line item to purchase equipment.  The 5 stations fall under the command of the fire chief.  In 1968, the city created the position of 1st assistant chief.  He was second in command to the chief.  Each company has a president, vice president secretary and treasurer and trustees that run their individual company's business side.  The rescue, air, service trucks and squads are owned and maintained by the individual companies.  They each have many fund raisers to raise sufficient funds to purchase and maintain these pieces of equipment.  When a company makes a large purchase such as a rescue, air or service, they consult the chief and let him know of what they are planning to buy and how it will enhance the bureau.  When the companies apply for grants they for the most part consult the chief as to what they are applying for and how it will aid the bureau.  The fire bureau also has an ambulance corps. that is made up of 3 members of each company that sit on the corps.  The corps provides ems service to the city and surrounding communities with 3 ALS equipped ambulances and a wheel chair van.  Also there is a rescue boat that is a 24' pontoon boat that has its own slip at the marina during the boating season.  The members of the bureau belong to a certain company.  The city is set up in 5 fire districts, as we call them, downtown, No. 1, Parnassus, No. 2, The Hill, No. 3,  East Kensington, No. 5 and Valley Heights, No.5. Each alarm in the city has a 2 company response.  If there is a confirmed fire, a second alarm is automatically activated and another company dispatched as well as a R.I.T. company from our neighboring city.   The rescue tools are purchased and maintained by the respective rescue companies.  The breathing apparatus and maintenance on them are provided by the relief association of the department.

There is no set policy to replace apparatus.  For instance, the 1918 ALF at No. 3, was refurbed in 1931 and then replaced in 1949 by an L-Model Mack.  The 49 Mack was replaced by the open cab CF in 1970.  The 49 Mack became the reserve.  The CF wasn't replaced until 2010.  The 1927 ALF at No. 1 was replaced in 1960 by a 900 series ALF.  It was replaced in 1990 by the Spartan/4-Guys.  When Parnassus was annexed, they had a 1928 Ahrens Fox.  That was replaced by a 1954 Federal/General.  The General was replaced by a 1979 Hamerly and that was replaced in 2001 by the CF Mack from Lower Burrell.  The Hamerly then became the reserve.  That was replaced in 2008 by the Pierce Impel.  When No. 4 & No. 5 were annexed, No. 4 received a 1933 Ford/Alcoa engine built by the fireman at the Alcoa plant in New Kensington.  Another one was built for No. 1 in 1935 and the third was built in 1937 for No. 5.  The ones at No. 4 & No. 5 were replaced by 2 Ford/American LaFrances in 1956.  These were replaced in 1986 by the 2 Kenworth /FMC's.  When No. 2 received the Pierce the city sold their Mack and also the Hamerly and bought the American LaFrance from Biglerville as a reserve.  Most recently, the city purchased a 1997 Seagrave TB to place in service at Engine 5.  The city does not have the funds to purchase a brand new engine for No. 5.  By law, the city cannot raise taxes.  3rd class cities in PA must abide by the 3rd class city code.  So in order to improve safety, we had no other choice than purchase a use engine.  It is in great shape and should last many years.  Our apparatus are maintained well and don't get beat.  We do use them though.  Hope that helps.  Let me know if you have any questions. 

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

The rescue boat of the bureau.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A shot of Ladder No. 1 at room fire at the old Arlington Hotel in the 1960's

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A shot of Ladder No. 1 at the L&M Tire fire in 1970.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A shot of Ladder No. 1 in 1992.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A shot of Engine 3 in 1978 at a house fire.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A shot of Engine 3 and Ladder 1 at the Zueger Milk fire.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A shot of Engine 4 at the Nu Ken Tire fire in 1973.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Ed, thanks for the explanation of the structure of the NKFD.  Great information.  Have a Merry Christmas!

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA

Medic 122 a 2008 Ford E-450/Lifeline

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Rescue 4.  The second truck to serve as Rescue 4.  1977 Ford F-250.  Ex Monroeville No. 6.  Credit to the photographer.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Great history lesson Ed! Not many can tell that much history on their department!
If you go to:  www.newkenfire.org  there is a complete history of the fire bureau.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

For sale by the City of New Kensington  1986 Kenworth/FMC Omega  1,250 gpm 2-stage Hale pump, 750 poly tank.  Current pump & ladder certifications and PA inspection.  Please visit:  www.municibid.com 

Attached Files Image(s)

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

The previous picture of Engine 3 out on a snowy run, with an open cab and chains on the tires - awesome!
Quote:For sale by the City of New Kensington  1986 Kenworth/FMC Omega  1,250 gpm 2-stage Hale pump, 750 poly tank.  Current pump & ladder certifications and PA inspection.  Please visit:  www.municibid.com

Are you guys getting a new engine 4??